collecting G.B. stamps .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gillian Hutchinson14/01/2020 10:00:57
103 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by Fred Sellars on 20/12/2019 10:37:41:

Good morning Gillian,

I see you was burning the midnight (almost) oil last night, it's nice to know we are both singing from the same hymn sheet with regards to self adhesive stamps, who knows! Perhaps in the near future to stop the stamps from curling rather than made of paper they may be made of plastic similar to the Monopoly money we have today.

Talking of Monopoly money reminds me of the Christmas bonus awarded to pensioners back in 1972 for £10, then (due to inflation) it was worth £135 in spending power, sadly, today you can't buy a packet of cigarettes with it.

Times are a'changin but not always for the better,TTFN, Fred

Ha ha Fred! I might have known someone would notice the time at which I was writing!

I read or heard somewhere that there was a problem with that 'Monopoly' money - I've forgotten exactly what. It reminds me how the new pound coins were supposed to be theft-proof but aren't actually.

So the £10 Christmas bonus goes back to 1972? Maybe further? That's incredible. You'd think we'd be due way more than that by now.

As far as the self-adhesives go, I think I might opt for trimming around close to the edge of the stamp after soaking doesn't remove the stamp easily. I doubt those that produce the stamps have no thought for the poor philately enthusiasts trying to remove them from envelopes.

Gillian

Fred Sellars14/01/2020 13:22:07
272 forum posts
98 photos

Good afternoon Gillian,

I can assure you that the £10 Christmas bonus was originally passed by legislation in 1972 and first implemented prior to Christmas of that year.

With regards to the £1 coin being theft proof, I think you meant to say forgery proof due to the two different metals used and the inscription below the queen's head being hard to copy.

I think your decision to cut round self adhesive stamps rather than remove them is the best idea, due to the fact that they do not get damaged in any way unlike previous attempts that you may have made.

Have a nice day, Fred.

Neil Barrett 316/01/2020 11:36:54
19 forum posts

Fred sed:

"Space Invaders

Pac-Man

Mario brothers

Tetris

Missile command/defend the cities

Lords of midnight"

I gather the issue is to commemorate British game authors and developers - so that takes these out. Mind you - many previous issues have been only tenuously linked to British input so you could be right. Having started out with Sinclair I'd nominate Manic Miner or Jet Set Willy...

Fred Sellars16/01/2020 14:07:42
272 forum posts
98 photos

Hi there Neil,

I see I'm not the only one with a little nostalgia for some of those golden oldies !

I'm sure that the Royal Mail could find plenty more to fit the bill if they so desired .

Another contender would be Jeff Minter "Yak" born in Reading of " Mutant Camel 🐫 " fame + various others .

I realise this is not a video game but how about " Hitchhiker's guide guide to the galaxy " , a text adventure by the late Douglas Adams that was very popular with the owners of the Commodore " PET " in days of yore .

No doubt many of the viewers could also think of appropriate alternatives that could be used .

Bye for now, Fred.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers