By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

How times have changed !

collecting G.B. stamps .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fred Sellars04/07/2021 16:13:39
735 forum posts
360 photos

Let's not nit-pick Paul, one of a kind is good enough for me !

Also the 8f "Big blue sky" was never officially issued and also other examples exist.

https://www.davidfeldman.com/2020/04/top-10-modern-rarities/ 

Fred.

Edited By Fred Sellars on 04/07/2021 16:42:08

Fred Sellars30/08/2021 08:08:27
735 forum posts
360 photos

Here is a nice compilation of informative PDF's relating to various statistics on postal heritage provided by the postal museum, it gives a look at the many aspects that has affected various segments of our postal services over the years.

collections/statistics/ >**LINK**

You may find some of the information handy dependent on what your philatelic interests are.

Fred.

Fred Sellars11/11/2021 14:20:50
735 forum posts
360 photos

Today's methods of communication varies quite considerably with a large majority of it being transmitted via email, telephone, radio and TV and also with the diminishing extent via the postal service in the form of letters.

Back in 1900 the majority of communications was made by letter, using the postal system due to the fact it was reasonably cheap and that many forms of communication that we have today did not exist with the exception of the telegraph system, but the price to pay in sending a telegram was colossal, here is a copy of a telegram consisting of 9 words sent from Ireland to South Africa in 1900 at a cost of £3, in today's money that equates to £390 (£43 per word).

Of the £3 paid I can account for £1 4 shillings to the front of the telegram therefore £1 6 shillings of cancelled stamps must reside on the reverse.

img_20211111_131350.jpg

Under normal circumstances telegrams should have been destroyed after storage but many were pilfered en-route, imagine having a bag full of these telegrams at today's prices ?

Fred.

Fred Sellars11/11/2021 19:35:00
735 forum posts
360 photos

Having been using decimal currency since 1971, it just struck me that the amount in value on the reverse of this telegram was £1 16 shillings not £1 6 shillings as previously stated, that's a heck of a lot of used stamps on one piece of paper, probably over 70.

Fred.

Fred Sellars04/12/2021 11:50:19
735 forum posts
360 photos

A lot of fine used Victorian and Edward stamps with a CDS' was acquired from this source (telegrams), as against some of the heavier type cancels used, such as the barred numeral ones found on most letters of the day.

Fred Sellars08/12/2021 10:47:42
735 forum posts
360 photos

Does the post office (Royal Mail) still have a useful telegram service in operation and if so what is the cost and the delivery times available in comparison to what emails are now capable of being used for as a method of instant communication.

I decided to have a look at a recent advertisement displayed on the web regarding telegrams by the Royal mail, and below is a copy of their current charges and delivery times. >

img_20211207_133131.jpg

The delivery time seemed very similar to the time it took for the delivering of letters but the cost was much greater, and from what I could gather relating to the time factor, sending a letter would serve equally as well at a much lower cost.

It certainly makes me wonder why this service is still in operation and in use, what would be the advantages of using such an antiquated service, would it be for contacting someone who is not on the web or who has no telephone ?

Would you use this service ? Fred.

Carmen08/12/2021 11:32:06
712 forum posts
65 photos

What a great question Fred. I know I certainly wouldn't and like you I'm wondering why such a service even still exists and why someone would need to use it. So I'm looking forward to seeing replies... anyone else?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Auctioneers Feltzmann
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values