By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Ultra violet radiation of multiple crown Wilding definitives.

Cream and whiter papers.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul stirling11/04/2020 19:07:47
9 forum posts
4 photos

thanks Fred - and yes, your information always of help. Shame that the Wilding aberration is contamination only, and not some valuable variationsad - but always worth checking with you, of course.

Bye for now.

Paul.

Fred Sellars12/04/2020 09:51:06
419 forum posts
165 photos

Good morning Paul,

Now let me ask you a question ! On looking in albums I see only 1 photo "decimal castles", last updated 10/4/20 .

Where did the 2 X 1/3d scans come from ?

This is just a matter of curiosity, Fred.

Paul stirling12/04/2020 11:41:34
9 forum posts
4 photos

morning Fred - regret I'm not particularly good at the techie matters. Obviously these pix exist on my own pc picture library, along with zillions of other images, so can only assume that they arrived on my stamp photo 'album' directly from my own pc - perhaps

Think I've now corrected this issue - please look on my album and tell my if you can now see the two pix in question - if not I'll have another go at putting the matter right.

Fred Sellars12/04/2020 12:16:24
419 forum posts
165 photos

The two 1/3d scans have now appeared in " Albums " but as updates .

How can you update an album on the 12th when it did not exist in 'Albums' on the 11th ?

Now that's what I call magic !

Have a nice day, Fred.

Edited By Fred Sellars on 12/04/2020 12:19:53

Fred Sellars13/04/2020 13:06:03
419 forum posts
165 photos

Over the last few years I have become more fascinated with the papers on which stamps have been printed on and issued, irrespective of which country they come from as there seems to be so many variations to be found either relating to production type, thickness (GSM), colour, embodiment content etc. Much of which can be detected by the use of an ultraviolet light, and the beauty of it is that the stamps can be purchased in bulk (kiloware) in many instances at less than a penny each with a chance of an exceptional find as of yet undiscovered.

Many collectors do not know or realise just what they are missing ! As they tend to go more for printing errors or perforation differences in the visible spectrum when seeking a variety.

From just a dozen or so of the 1980 Italian castles is such a case in point with the papers used, allbeit on different values with vastly different shades of paper, ranging from bright lemon to some of the more darker shades found, they are all on piece (as found in kiloware), therefore soaking is not a contributory factor in the differences seen.

I particularly like the 400 Lira ones on the right of the scan as they appear to be of two different shades with the 550 L value being a distinct lime shade. The many subtle differences can't always be picked up with a camera but are quite distinct to the naked eye, no doubt as time progresses I will be inspecting more of this issue, as I feel there is yet more to be discovered.

One thing is for sure: an ultraviolet light is as important a piece of philatelic equipment as a perforation gauge.Fred.img_20200413_001909.jpg

Paul stirling13/04/2020 15:12:24
9 forum posts
4 photos

your joy at this particular aspect of collecting Fred, shows the vast diversity of interest available to those who collect stamps - I assume from the gist of what you're saying that these lemon and lime colours are the result of fluorescence when viewed under u.v. light, and that in daylight spectrum all the stamps in your picture appear similar in colour/shade, or do the examples you're drawing attention to also appear colourful in daylight?

I'd imagine the former in view of the topic of this thread - but whatever, very fruity colours - especially the lemon.

I can remember when the exchange rate was c. L1550/£1.surprise

You mention 'kilo ware' - in view of my low key interest in the decimal period (c. post 1970), and a perceived view that purchasing such vast quantities provides too many identical stamps of low value and mega repeats of common commemoratives, I've so far fought shy of such purchases. Might it be that such buys are more suited to those seeking Machin varieties and examples of phosphor abberations??

Edited By Paul stirling on 13/04/2020 15:13:22

Fred Sellars13/04/2020 16:25:34
419 forum posts
165 photos

Your first intuition is correct Paul, as these stamps in normal daylight all appear the same except for the design and value, it is only with the use of ultraviolet light that these differences can be seen.

With regards to kiloware, I have found that purchasing such lots inevitably leads to a lot of duplication, but without that factor one could not compare like-for-like, admittedly it is very time consuming but necessary if you wish to accomplish any results.

Don't expect to find a penny black or something with great value as it has been known for some unscrupulous dealers to have cherry-picked some of the better items out. With kiloware it is always best to get it from source of supply if possible !

Regards, Fred.

Fred Sellars17/04/2020 09:36:58
419 forum posts
165 photos

Good morning Paul,

I'm deviating somewhat from Wildings as the norm, but due to your enthusiasm on the subject, here's a tutti frutti just for you. Enjoy 😋

Hope you like it ! Fred.img_20200417_090913.jpg

Edited By Fred Sellars on 17/04/2020 09:46:36

Paul stirling17/04/2020 10:28:38
9 forum posts
4 photos

morning Fred and thanks for this latest addition to your list of fluorescent papers - assume these are more instances of the paper manufacturers using whitening additives to the paper - with the resulting effect as per your images - such colours bring to mind the colours/names of an equally colourful sweet I remember called 'Opal Fruits'

Sorry to disappoint, but this area not particularly my forte - had I not owned a u.v. torch for viewing my uranium glass I dare say I would have remained in ignorance of the fluorescent colours on stamp paper, but am surprised others here haven't joined in with this thread, though I think there was another contributor much earlier on.

My interests tend to be more traditional regarding stamps, and are inclined more toward older issues - line engraved - various Commonwealth countries, and things that might catch my eye such as overprints and precancels - plus I'm only newly returned to stamps, so finding my way around still. I hear tell there's a 1 c. magenta with clipped corners to watch out for - it fetches a bob or two so I'm told. and there are vastly more recent Falklands values showing the wrong ship that's a real earner.

Seriously though, I do appreciate your expert knowledge when it comes to such matters as fluorescence and the whitening of stamp papers - just a shame that others here appear not to want to join in with your technical discussions.

Keep up the good work, and stay safe

Fred Sellars17/04/2020 11:17:56
419 forum posts
165 photos

As with most things Paul, the incentive to participate has to come from the individual, as the saying goes " you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink ".

And so it is with stamp collectors !

Have a nice day,Fred.

Edited By Fred Sellars on 17/04/2020 11:19:29

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values