By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

French perforation shift of the 50 centime "sower" .

Adding marginal inscription on stamp .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fred Sellars31/08/2019 17:27:16
272 forum posts
98 photos

When this stamp was perforated there must have been an inscription in the top margin of the sheet and due to the error in perforating it has included the inscription "ILLUSTREE" on the stamp.img_20190831_171024.jpg

Fred Sellars07/09/2019 18:26:12
272 forum posts
98 photos

There are four types of this particular stamp with a lined background that depict the Sower (Semeuse).

On looking at the characteristics of this 50 centime red with the perforation shift I note the following:-

1) The lower eyelet of the letter B of République is larger than the upper one.

2) The eylets of the letter A's in Française are very small.

3) The eylet in R of République is larger than the eyelet of R in Française.

Therefore,based on these findings it is a type 2 stamp.

Fred Sellars18/09/2019 11:51:01
272 forum posts
98 photos

According to some literature that I have recently read,this 50 centime vermilion type ll was produced in rotary sheets, second booklets and second rotary booklets.

From which of these origins does it come from ?

I recently sent a scan of this stamp to the RPSL to get an answer, but the reply from an unnamed person on the expert committee could only confirm that the stamp is a mis-cut one (possibly from waste material) and has no particular philatelic significance.

I am sure that his comments does not bode well with some collectors of France who may have similar items in their collection.

So I whisper a fond adieu as far as this variety is concerned, Fred.

Edited By Fred Sellars on 18/09/2019 11:57:07

Fred Sellars24/09/2019 14:40:07
272 forum posts
98 photos

If anyone has any comments to make I would dearly love to hear them, especially regarding where this stamp originates from sheet/booklet ?

Or any other comments for that matter.

Fred.

Fred Sellars04/10/2019 17:12:39
272 forum posts
98 photos

After further investigation,it appears that the 50 centime "Semeuse" comes from a booklet of 20 that comprised of a horizontal block of 2×5 on either side of the booklet, it is listed in the annual Yvert & Tellier 'Frace' catalogue, attached to the stamps was a " Tab " known as a " Pub ",a French abbreviation of publicité that read " SPHERE REVENUE COLONIALE ILLUSTRÉE " .

The top row had the " Tab " on the upper section of the stamp, where the bottom row had the tab underneath the stamp.

I would like to thank Mr Mick Bister of the France and Colonies Philatelic society for supplying me with this information .

Fred.

Fred Sellars30/10/2019 08:30:12
272 forum posts
98 photos

Apologies........

The tabs on the 50 centime Semeuse should read " SPHÉRE REVUE COLONIAL ILLUSTRÉE "and not revenue as previously described .

Fred Sellars26/12/2019 13:30:27
272 forum posts
98 photos

The above mis-perforated stamp was found in some charity collected kiloware recently purchased and in the same lot I found this unusual label, obviously not a postage stamp but a Cinderella in the history of the stamps of France.

Once more I contacted Mick Bister of the France and colonial philatelic society and this was his reply with regards to the label found. :-

" What you have there is the first official airmail label that was issued in May 1920. It was printed in the same format as it's contemporary Type Merson postage stamp in sheets of 75 (3x25 panes). The design shows the portrait of Georges Guynemer the aviation pioneer - you will find lot's about him on the internet.

It had been preceded in August 1918 by a label printed in black on red paper comprising the words PAR AVION,Le Mans and St Nazair I have never seen a copy nor even an illustration of it.

From February 1923 the labels took on the familiar PAR AVION in black on blue paper or in white on a blue printed background, mostly rectangular but occasionally triangular or lozenge shaped "

Thanks Mick for that information !

If anyone can furnish a copy of the 1918 version I would dearly like to see it as would Mick.

Unfortunately, my 1920 version is in a sorry state of condition, nevertheless of reference interest for some collectors of France .

Joyeux Noël, Fred.

img_20191221_214424.jpg

M C STRATHDEE27/12/2019 01:19:33
6 forum posts
2 photos

2019-12-26_210853.jpgBP106

2019-12-26_210948.jpg

Fred Sellars27/12/2019 18:27:50
272 forum posts
98 photos

Thanks M C for the photo's of the 50 centime "Semeuse" as it shows the stamp in its original condition prior to the "tab/label" being removed. Fred .

Fred Sellars21/01/2020 00:38:14
272 forum posts
98 photos

It isn't often that you find an Australian stamp cancelled in France, but this seems to be the case with this particular one at the turn of the century 120 years ago.

I first had to confirm that the cancellation was authentic and contacted Mike Bister of the France and Colonies Philatelic Society, he replied with the following comments ............

" It's a pity that early collectors removed interesting stamps from the covers. A great loss for postal historians.

The stamp has indeed been cancelled upon arrival at Marseille (in France). You can see part of the department name of Bouch du Rhône at the bottom of the CDS. The letter or postcard was unloaded upon the ships arrival where it was sorted for onward transmission to Paris. Here it would be resorted for its final destination in France or beyond. Noticing that the stamp had been missed by the Australian canceller the French postal clerk cancelled it with a Marseille cds. before putting it in the Paris bag.

It's certainly unusual to see a Queensland stamp with a French cancellation but how much better it would have been on an entire cover. "

Thanks Mike for that information, you learn something everyday with philately.

Fred.

img_20200120_231023.jpg

Edited By Fred Sellars on 21/01/2020 00:42:29

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers