Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Forests

Forests

Issued on August 13, 2019

Julian31/08/2019 06:43:29
635 forum posts
261 photos

I have seen this and maybe for once actually buy a set. I remember Alex talking about a forest when in Germany as a boy,

COMMEMORATIVE WORTH : I think this verdict is very wrong indeed, however I maybe biased as I love countryside, trees or portraits of landscapes. I am also a believer of the Commission as well. I just laugh at the reasoning for this score, I feel 5/5 is more fitting, lots of people love forest and there 100's of gardens which incorporate trees or large areas of land, which usually fall under the National Trust. I also think if we had forest like in the States we would all be interested in forests, also Canada as well. Actually, if I think about colourful wow, that would be my first statement America or Canada simply because you see so many colours in one place,

QUALITY OF DESIGN : 5/5 There is nothing wrong with design and I wonder if this guy knows anything about photography. I have not been to any of these places and these stamps make me feel I want to go, he may have a point on focus but when doing large forests or landscape it is indeed very hard to get that good picture! There is one stamp which I would not associate to Forest meaning trees and that is Waterfalls that is an entirely different Category, however he could have instead taking a landscape picture do a vertical picture which may show more trees. But I reckon he has gone for the wow feature of the waterfall to reach a purpose and he has done it well, for it has won its spot.

WOW FACTOR : 5/5 Again I disagree, the forest or gardens come to that only have a limited time in the year, in which they look great and again the waterfall pic is a dead cert for looking good as generally they look good all year round? Take all the others stamps the pictures are worth putting on a stamp for sure. That is the difference and forest need to be landscape to take in the glory of area. Where Gardens you can focus on individual plants or colour for the wow factor but even then, a better picture could be of lots of colours in a bigger view.

I can give a for instances, The Amazon rain forest on the ground you probably need many factors to getting a good pic but take a picture from the air and you may have that wow factor.

Alex31/08/2019 15:40:37
583 forum posts
13 photos

I felt like you on seeing this set in that I'm considering buying it, and perhaps a FDC as well.

I think that the set works well in promoting both the natural beauty of British forests and of the centenary of the Forestry Commission. The landscape photography works well for this subject and displays the forests very beautifully. Glen Affric is just down the road from me and the stamp successfully captures the spirit of the place.

I am a member of the Woodland Trust and have always loved the woods and forest since, as you note, my childhood in Germany when my family lived there for a few years.

Bavarian Forest

As to this set, well done to RM.

Trevor Bishop 102/09/2019 07:30:57
188 forum posts
58 photos

Hi Julian ,

Well what a cracking set of stamps ! I haven’t bought any modem GB stamps for many years & really like these & like you Alex I’m seriously intending to buy a set even though they’re not all 1st class ( I’m never convinced anyone would ever use one of the higher value stamps ) .

Yes like you I score them 5 , 5 & 5 !!

Unlike the ugly “curious customs set “

I might also try to pick up a set of the birds of prey that was recently issued .

Sadly it’s been at least a year since I received any modern commem stamp on a posted item ( excluding Xmas & eBay items which often have much older stamps being used by sellers with excess .

Well done Royal Mail .

Trev

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values