By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Multiple crown Wilding phosphors with variations.

Noticing the difference.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fred Sellars29/08/2019 21:27:50
150 forum posts
55 photos

img_20190822_112047.jpgimg_20190823_110852.jpgI was recently checking through some Wildlings sorting the plain from the phosphor ones and noticed that some of the bands on the phosphor stamps could hardly be seen where on some others they appeared quite blatant and had a matt finish, however, others showed a more silky finish and in some cases you could hardly see them at all when comparing the same values.

I realise that there are various methods of applying the bands such as photogravure, letterpress (typo), flexography where some bands being as "varnished", in fact it's quite a mystery to most general collectors of this issue.

Showing you examples is sometimes the best means of contact with three initials scans then I can let you see.

One picture is the difference between photo and typo on the 4•5d value, apparently the photo printed bands have the same width in the margins of the rest of the sheet but letterpress (typo) bands have a narrow band on both margins on either side of the sheet due to the way they were printed.

The other two is of the 4d and 7d showing both a matt and silky finish.

Can anyone account for the differences on both the 4d and 7d stamps as this anomaly seems to occur on several other values also.img_20190823_113140.jpg

Fred Sellars08/09/2019 23:44:07
150 forum posts
55 photos

img_20190908_224522.jpgFurther to my thread posted on the 29/8/19, I can now show you additional scans highlighting the difference between matt and glazed phosphor bands on the Wilding definitives, both of which are 9•5mm violet phosphors.

I took two scans and reversed their positions in order to get equilibrium,and it can be clearly seen that there is a difference between the bands.

The 10d showing a glazed or silky finish with the 1/- value having a matt finish.

Have two different phosphors been used or have they been applied differently ?

All I can do is show you the difference,if anyone seeing the differences with any technical knowledge can explain the variances I would be most grateful for the information.

Thank you, Fred.

img_20190908_223922.jpg

Fred Sellars12/09/2019 11:26:48
150 forum posts
55 photos

img_20190911_005751.jpgimg_20190911_010842.jpgI can now include additional values showing phosphor variations, if you have also noticed the difference on some of your stamps of this period please make contact, as this is what a forum is all about.

Thank you, Fredimg_20190911_010058.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers