By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Multiple crown Wildings printed on reversed " laid paper " .

Discovery of reversed ribbing in the " laid paper " .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fred Sellars12/08/2019 10:27:09
135 forum posts
46 photos

img_20190811_002228.jpgimg_20190710_202302.jpgimg_20190811_001329.jpgThroughout their production the multiple crown definitives with values from the •5d to the 1/6d were produced by Harrison and sons of Higher Wycombe who supplied the paper and also printed the stamps under contract to the post office at that time.

About 2 years ago I was sorting through some used stamps of this period, and noticed a peculiarity with regards to the lines produced in the " laid paper " , instead of the normal mesh design running horizontal/vertical or criss-cross diagonals I discovered single lines running at a 45° angle but what appeared more peculiar was that some of the single-line versions were noticed to be in the opposite direction on certain stamps and only a few values , namely the 10d, 1/- and 1/6d .

I was of the understanding that De La Rue had taken over Harrison and sons back in 1997 , so I decided to contact them with regards to the anomaly .

I was sent a reply by the archivist of DLR at Basingstoke a Mr Georgie Salzedo who quoted the following after consultation with their design team >>>>>

> " It comes from the mould cover. Instead of the now typical weft of The wire and weave going horizontal/vertical. I think this mould cover would have been 45 degrees which adds bulk and less bulk. The GSM would have been so low that the wire would have been seen ".

This explained the single lines encountered but not the reversed single line versions that have been found .

It would appear that some of the " laid paper " was reversed prior to going through the " dandy roll " whilst in the wet stage ,so that the watermark could be added , giving rise to the fact that some stamps were printed on a reversed " laid paper " .

As to which is the reversed version is another matter as you will need both to ensure you have a reversed version of the stamp .

Pictures of the various values are attached for comparison , which do you think is the reversed version ?img_20180810_065828.jpg

Edited By Fred Sellars on 12/08/2019 10:34:26

Fred Sellars14/08/2019 12:12:34
135 forum posts
46 photos

img_20190813_151428.jpgIt would appear that the reversed laid papers exist in both cream and whiter versions , so these papers must have been in production prior and post 1962 when the changeover was made .

The pictures depicted are of the 1/6d value but in different formats in order to enhance the laid paper with the 45° ribbingimg_20190813_194513.jpg

Fred Sellars17/08/2019 08:56:00
135 forum posts
46 photos

One could argue that the ribbing when as prominent as this could be classified as a secondary watermark which compliments the multiple crown impression in the paper that was made at a slightly later time whilst still in the wet stage .

The ribbing in the laid paper was created by almost the same method as the watermark itself but not usually as prominent as the ones shown in these pictures.

If anyone can contribute to my findings I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you,Fred .

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers