SG MS1501 Comm. or Mach/def.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kim Tomlinson28/07/2019 09:10:27
23 forum posts
2 photos
SG MS1501  

"Stamp World London '90" Penny Black minisheet

Which side of the fence does this drop, Commemorative or Machin/Definitive???

Edited By Kim Tomlinson on 28/07/2019 09:12:13

Kim Tomlinson28/07/2019 09:58:43
23 forum posts
2 photos

A bit more googleing (other search engines available) I have discovered more minisheets.

I keep my stamps in stock books one set for Commemorative's and another for Machin/Definitive

Therefore I think I will get another stock book for minisheet's, panes etc.

Carmen28/07/2019 13:30:14
650 forum posts
61 photos

Exactly Kim, and that is how you will wind up like me: 4 binders for my Canadian collection and 6 binders for Everything Else! Not to mention the 6 tons of The Rest of the Stuff I keep on 8 bookshelves in my living room! LOL! Go go go! party

Neil Barrett 329/07/2019 08:59:20
23 forum posts

Hi Kim,

Like you discussed in June - the minisheet contains a (possibly) definitive with a Machin head. But I'd say a minisheet is always a commemorative because it wasn't sold over the counter and marks a specific event.

Yes - you might want a separate book if you get into them...

Trevor Bishop 129/07/2019 18:01:22
188 forum posts
58 photos

Hi Kim ,

Yes I agree with NEIL as they are probably always commemorating something although I’m not sure about not being sold over the counter ? I seem to remember buying GB’s Roland hill M/S over the counter .

They of course are a real money spinner as are booklet panes offering stamps possibly by different printers , colour shades & perforation & being found only in a one off configuration being next to a different value stamp etc .

I like them! I particularly the Czech ones often perf or imperf and then of course sheetlets of some of Czechoslovakia’s lovely ART stamps .

I recently came across a box of Russian m/sheets which seemed to be mass produced for many occasions which I’m not so keen on .

And like you say they do take up a lot of pages / stock books , but do look nice which is what it’s all about .

Trev

Neil Barrett 302/08/2019 09:35:29
23 forum posts

I seem to remember buying GB’s Roland hill M/S over the counter .

Before my time Trevwink

You can buy minisheets at a PO that has a Philatelic counter (if you can still find one of those) but you'll get blank looks at many others. If you just asked for 4x1st class you'd never get a minisheet even if there was a current one with that combination.

My logic (and purely my own) is that if the stamps within the minisheet were only available as such and not also sold as loose stamps / in a counter sheet they have to be commemorative - even if they are Machin heads and resemble a definitive.

I like minisheets for the design aspect - especially if the stamps are se-tenant or the image continues off the edge of the stamp to make one big image for the whole sheet.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values