By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

3 papers used to print m/c Wildings

What's your opinion ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fred Sellars17/07/2019 10:16:24
221 forum posts
76 photos

It is now becoming more obvious to me that three types of recognisable paper has been used to print the multiple crown Wilding issue.

The 3 major categories being :-

CREAM (or dead paper): in response to ultraviolet light (as they do not glow) found on stamps issued much later than 1962.

WHITER relating to paper being treated with an optical brightening agent in order to enhance the proficiency of automatic sorting.

FIBRILLOUS a paper containing small fibres that show under ultraviolet light, but could be either of the other two.

I am sure that if you start to inspect your own collection of these particular stamps, you will become more aware of that fact.

These stamps have been in the public domain now for over 50 years and it amazes me as to why they have not been listed for mentioned in various catalogues or magazines in the past that cover this subject.

It would appear that a lot of study with regards to the papers of Canada and Australia have been made but very little on British ones of this period. That is why I am bringing this to your attention.

No doubt some people will treat this posting as being radical or provocative but that is not the case as I feel that changes in attitude to these stamps need to be made accordingly, in relation to some of my findings.

Thank you, Fred.

Fred Sellars17/07/2019 14:34:38
221 forum posts
76 photos

In order to encapsulate the three different types of paper, please see the picture below which is self-explanatory, taken firstly in ultraviolet light then filtered into mono.

Thank you, Fred.img_20190717_141242.jpg

Fred Sellars17/07/2019 22:44:39
221 forum posts
76 photos

When I originally discovered the various different papers I had no idea as to how the paper and the stamps were produced and I am sure that some viewers of this thread will also be perplexed as regards to what little information they know on the subject.

By going through various reports and other sites on the web, I have been able to glean various segments of information .

For me to go into detail is not why I have posted this thread but in order for you to obtain better knowledge on the subject, therefore I can recommend two sites to visit if you so wish.

The first of which is "how to study stamp papers" , if you enter this on your normal search engine it should bring up ' Brixton Chrome ' and this is the one to select, it covers a multitude of facts including a section on paper fluorescence that even a Machin collectors will find of interest.

My second site concerns the production of paper, so you need to go to pulppapermill.com , there you will find an interesting section on "optical brightening agents" that I think you will find of use with a sub-section relating to ultra violet light.

After reading the two articles you will then be more aware of the facts in question, as this will not only be of interest to collectors of Wilding stamps, but also for Machin collectors as well.

Happy reading, regards, Fred.

Fred Sellars19/07/2019 08:56:52
221 forum posts
76 photos

For additional viewing I have also created a thread related to this one by the name of "CREAM Vs WHITE" in order for you to get a better understanding of my findings.

Thank you, Fred.

Fred Sellars21/07/2019 15:15:23
221 forum posts
76 photos

Another slight possibility with regards do the fibrillous paper is that this type of paper is normally used as a security feature for documents, you cannot copy something that you can't see in normal light.

Was this paper originally intended to be used to print stamps, or should it have been used elsewhere prior to being watermarked ? In other words was this type of paper used in error ?

The picture below is the 8d value on fibrillous paper in comparison to the normal ones found.

REF above : transcriptpaper.com : press select a page then security features see item 6.img_20190719_203737.jpg

Edited By Fred Sellars on 21/07/2019 15:18:20

Edited By Fred Sellars on 21/07/2019 15:19:13

Fred Sellars23/07/2019 23:05:26
221 forum posts
76 photos

We all know of the fact that two paper types already exist, and according to various sources only one whiter type should have been issued since 1962.

Fibrillous papers (FIB'S) as far as I am aware have never been mentioned and it is obvious with regards to my findings also that cream types were issued long after 1962.

All of the 4d values pictured below were issued post 1962.

Surely, it cannot be just the date of issue that decides what type of paper that the stamp is printed on .img_20190723_222226.jpg

Fred Sellars26/07/2019 17:44:25
221 forum posts
76 photos

img_20190726_140228.jpgAnother recent discovery that I have made is the 1/6d phosphor on a fibrillous type paper represented by frontal and reversed pictures for inclusion, as it would seem that this type of paper has been used for many of the other values also.

Please see above (reversed side) in mono and below (frontal view) under normal  UV thank you.img_20190726_135503.jpg

Edited By Fred Sellars on 26/07/2019 17:49:44

Edited By Fred Sellars on 26/07/2019 17:53:51

Fred Sellars28/07/2019 08:59:48
221 forum posts
76 photos

img_20190728_083301.jpgMy latest find with regards to the third type "Fibrillous papers" discovered, can now be shared with viewers,both pictures taken under long wave UV,then one filtered into mono to highlight the "FIB'S"img_20190728_081542.jpg

Fred Sellars28/07/2019 20:47:11
221 forum posts
76 photos

This thread and "CREAM Vs WHITE" are related,so we like to stay together, just like a couple of twins.

Fred Sellars29/07/2019 19:55:54
221 forum posts
76 photos

img_20190729_191124.jpgI did state in the first part of this thread that fibrillous type paper could possibly be found on both cream or whiter type papers.

The pictures in this posting gives credence to that fact, by compairing the 1d & 8d ones together.img_20190729_191648.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers