Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Curious Customs

Curious Customs

Issued on July 9, 2019

Julian14/07/2019 23:27:25
634 forum posts
261 photos

Well because I am so young I do not know any of these and was not Halloween an American tradition which crept over here? I am assuming it must be with regard Ireland why it is considered British?

I think these are hilarious though, as well as informative with the description here but I wonder what anyone would know about these events by the stamp it self. I do not even think they teach WW2 in Schools these days let alone medieval times.

COMMEMORATIVE WORTH 1 / 5 I disagree, "they epitomise British eccentricity" I think not.

QUALITY OF DESIGN 4 / 5 I found them very amusing and eye catching but how the heck can someone make them playful? I also have to say with the world today when I first saw them I thought they were to do with LGBT movement!

WOW FACTOR 4 / 5 I think anyone getting ANY stamp though the door will think "A stamp, what is one of those" Awe yes this could be British eccentricity!!!

Alex15/07/2019 07:03:18
582 forum posts
12 photos

Hello Julian, so nice to have you back. You've been truly missed.

Good personal review on these stamps.

I think that they do a good job making folk aware of British customs (I was aware of half of these events). The stamp designs remind me of advertisings of the early 1960s, including some Post Office material of that era.

Sorry Julian, I think that you'll find that Halloween isn't an imported American tradition. In fact, the word Halloween itself comes from the Scottish dialect.

Alex

Carmen15/07/2019 12:08:57
650 forum posts
61 photos

Actually I really DO think they are a great show of British Eccentricity - when I lived in London, I remember hearing someone say that London is the only city in the world where someone can walk around with a toilet on his head and no one bats an eyelid. laugh

As for having heard of them before, I actually KNOW about the Viking heritage in the Shetland Islands... because of Geoff Childs' daily postmark postings in this very forum. THANKS GEOFF!

Gillian Hutchinson17/07/2019 09:43:20
95 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Julian and everyone else - welcome back Julian! Just to inform you, Londonderry is in Northern Ireland, which is part of the United Kingdom and therefore British!

Gillian

Neil Barrett 322/07/2019 09:12:41
9 forum posts

Y'know Gillian - there are plenty in Derry who would glare (or worse) at you for calling them British... It's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Alex is right - many of the "traditions" of Hallowe'en are Scottish in origin - they were taken to the US by immigrants and then evolved there and came back to UK by television. Since Northern Ireland also has a distinct community of Scottish origins - they have always had more of the Celtic flavour.

As for the stamps - the subject is interesting but I dislike the designs. I can see what Alex means about the retro feel but it doesn't work for me.

Carmen27/07/2019 12:53:00
650 forum posts
61 photos

I'm with you Neil... I thought the subject choice interesting but the stamp designs themselves don't really do anything for me.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers