By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Penny Black Help

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nick Page 112/07/2019 15:46:07
4 forum posts
2 photos

Hi

I inherited my grandad's stamp collection about 20 years ago and it has been in the loft ever since!

Recently I thought I would dig it out and have a look at it - I know nothing about stamps but I have (unsurprisingly) heard of a Penny Black.

A bit of online research and I have learnt about the plate letters and importance of wide margins and that brought me here, for some help with valuation. So I thought I would register and ask on the forum.

I am sure you have had many people finding a Penny Black and getting excited....this does appear to be a nice example though, if genuine? (no reason to think it wouldnt be, very much doubt my grandad would buy it otherwise)

Any advice on anything I should look for to help value it would be appreciated

He also had loads of St Helena stamps in his collection - would it be worth buying a SG Guidebook to help with these?

Thanks66675111_30801830035291159_2080094163721781248_n.jpg

Nick

Paul Davey 112/07/2019 18:01:22
407 forum posts
26 photos

Welcome Nick.

Look in your local library for a recent SG Commonwealth catalogue. No point buying one if you are not going to collect. You could decide to do that of course! There are a number of threads on here about selling if that is your plan.

For 1d blacks we need to see more detail than a phone image shows. I thoroughly recommend a scanner which gets a clear image, flat and unshaded, with , usually, reproducible colours. From the picture you posted I would want to see better. Is it unused or is there a postmark. This is the most significant question. Looks to have four clear margins, but does it appear thinned anywhere when you hold it to the light? It should show a watermark but otherwise be even. I look forward to seeing a better image!

We are pretty helpful on here (I think) but not always the fastest to reply!

Paul

Nick Page 115/07/2019 09:21:57
4 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply and advice, I visited my local library and found a SG guide that included St Helena, so that should be useful in identifying some of those.

Further research has also revealed that the 1d Black I posted about is actually a 1990 Reprint. However my Grandad did have an original one in the collection also, with 3 (ish) good margins, a very faint red MC cancellation, and is marked in his collection as "probably plate 2". (see below)

Any idea on the value of this one anyone? How should I look to sell, should I consider listing on Ebay or not?

Many thanks

Nick

67220503_611802945995430_8589942550574399488_n.jpg

67220503_611802945995430_8589942550574399488_n.jpg

Fred Sellars15/07/2019 12:33:26
135 forum posts
46 photos

Good afternoon Nick,

Sadly your penny black is only a 2 margin example as it has been cut into at base and lower right hand side, however, what is particularly striking is that the G's appear to be very different from what I can see.

Possibly an expert on these stamps could give you an explanation.

Fred.

Nick Page 115/07/2019 12:41:01
4 forum posts
2 photos

Hi Fred

Ok, I did wonder if that was the case - thanks

Yes the 2 G's do appear to look quite different dont they?

Any expert opinion on this would be welcome

Thanks

Nick

Fred Sellars15/07/2019 13:30:21
135 forum posts
46 photos

You're welcome to my observation, as it does seem rather strange that G's look different.

Paul Davey 115/07/2019 18:51:56
407 forum posts
26 photos

Hi Nick

as mentioned before, please include a scanned image. To plate imperf line engraved one needs to be able to measure the position of the letters in the squares and this can only be done using a plastic gauge on the stamp itself or a flat, image scanned at 600dpi or more. Blacks have fewer options but your image is not sufficient I'm afraid. See co.uk/wiki/GB_1d_Red_Die_I_GG >**LINK** for illustrations of all the options. It will be easier for you from the actual stamp. If you can scan it, we'll give an opinion (I'd take it out of the plastic mount too for scanning).

Goof luck!

Paul

Fred Sellars15/07/2019 21:26:53
135 forum posts
46 photos

Good evening Nick,

In addition to the different looking G's, I have also noticed an almost vertical White Mark between the N and Y of penny.

As Paul states the plastic covering does need removal prior to the stamp being scanned.

Hoping my observation is helpful.

Fred.

Ian Gibbons 121/07/2019 13:27:12
12 forum posts
2 photos

A set of 4 punches were used to add the letters in the early plates, so it could have been one of 4 different G's typically they would either do all the columns first and then do all the rows so if they selected a different one of the 4 punches then you get different typesets. Albeit all serif types, they are illustrated in SG spec vol .

The white mark between Nand Y of Penny is just a dry print area, not a plate variety.

Looks to be plate 9 so should have vertical guidelines in the NE and SE squares. Nice to find with a red MX

Nick Page 122/07/2019 09:36:46
4 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks for the information

In my Grandad's album it states "probably plate 2" - how do you tell the plate number? Is it indented anywhere like the Penny Red?

Does anyone know how best to get the collection valued. Will they value the whole collection as one or would they give me individual prices for the higher end ones? Also do they value in front of you as I wouldnt be keen on leaving them anywhere - I am sure, like all walks of life that there are some valuers who may not be as honest as others?!!

Many thanks

Nick

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers