4 forum posts
2 photos

These stamps I have uploaded all appear to be used will that affect there value

Thanks Ian

Carmen08/07/2019 12:40:17
650 forum posts
61 photos

Hi Ian!

Yes, Ian, value is certainly affected by whether or not a stamp has been used, but not always in the way we expect: in the majority of cases, a used stamp will be less valuable than one that is mint. BUT there are circumstances where the opposite is true: during World War 2, for instance, mailing letters in Germany is not something most people could afford to do, so it turns out that unused Hitler Head stamps are worth LESS than used ones, because the used ones are so rare.

Same goes with the Benjamin Franklin profile stamp you have there at the bottom of that page. It's probably not worth much, but if it had been left on cover (it seem to be from a pre-paid envelope methinks) who knows if the entire thing itself might have been more valuable than just the stamp? This is seen for example in envelopes/stamps recovered from the Hindenburg disaster.

I hope this helps, somewhat! smiley

Ian Lyall 226/07/2019 10:24:42
4 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks for that Carmen

can I ask one more question the stamp with the white dots

that appear to say S O & CO what is the reason for the dots

thanks

Ian

sorry for long time between responses been travelling

Carmen27/07/2019 12:50:06
650 forum posts
61 photos

Well, I can't see a bigger copy of the stamp you're talking about, but I think you may be talking about a stamp with perfins (PERForated INitialS) - that is, some companies or governments would have their initials stamped into their stamps to ensure that those stamps were only used for that company's or government's official or business purposes. Woe betide you if the mail room at the office caught you sending a birthday card to Aunt Martha with one of those on it, see?!

There seems to be an SO & CO watch company in New York City. Depending on how long it's been around (their website doesn't say) this could have been one of their stamps.

Hope this helps! Were you travelling anywhere exciting? Were you able to bring some stamps back?! smiley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers