By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

The 1/- Machin Vs the 1/- Wilding.

Issue date query.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fred Sellars03/07/2019 12:34:29
110 forum posts
8 photos

Way back in 1967 the post office issued the first type of the Arnold Machin design of stamps one of these being the 1/- denomination issued on the 5th June 1967 in order to replace the previous Wilding design ones first issued in 1953, but shortly after they went and issued the 1/- Wilding stamp with 9.5mm phosphor bands on the 28th June 1967.

Why issue a stamp when it's replacement has already been issued only 3 weeks earlier ?

I couldn't make head nor tails of it.

I put this question to Guy Thomas the editor of this magazine some months ago and he could only quote that he also didn't know the reason.

I eventually discovered a possible reason as to why via Hanns Fasching of the Modern British philatelic circle and editor of The Degam catalogue.

Do you have an explanation ??

Edited By Fred Sellars on 03/07/2019 12:44:16

Carmen03/07/2019 12:43:15
644 forum posts
61 photos

The Left Hand Design Team didn't know what the Right Hand Design Team was doing? It WAS the government, after all! laugh

Fred Sellars06/07/2019 10:32:00
110 forum posts
8 photos

NOW ! NOW ! Carmen, you know that you should never mock the afflicted, besides you could have Paul giving his wrath, as politics are a no no on this forum.🆗

Carmen07/07/2019 13:56:45
644 forum posts
61 photos

Well Fred, having worked for the Canadian Government myself, I reserve the right to poke fun at the foibles! I'm reminded of that scene in Apollo 13 where they suddenly realise that they had round holes and square filters... LOL!

Edited By Carmen on 07/07/2019 13:57:44

Fred Sellars07/07/2019 14:25:34
110 forum posts
8 photos

Good morning Canada and Carmen, it's afternoon here.

No doubt they adapted the filters and fitted a square peg into a round hole.

As I have previously stated anyone can make a mistake.

But the government at the time when these 1/- stamps were issued apparently did have a reason,so I think you have put the cart before the horse somewhat in giving your answer.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values