By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Meet the "FIB'S"

The fibrillous papers of the Wilding's

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fred Sellars03/11/2019 13:22:17
256 forum posts
91 photos

By pointing out the variances in the structure of papers, I have tried to be as informative as possible in the hope that other collectors of multiple crown Wilding definitives can obtain further knowledge on the subject, and not to degrade previous ideas otherwise thought .

This type of paper ( as far as I am aware ) has only been noticed on a few of the printings of the multiple crown Wilding definitives and not listed in any catalogue to my knowledge .

Fred Sellars06/12/2019 16:17:55
256 forum posts
91 photos

It would appear that the fibrillous papers were actually observed as far back as 1979, as they are mentioned in a statement by Aubrey Walker ( a post office chemist ) in an article in the November Philatelic Bulletin of that year as accidental fluorescent flecks or fibres randomly distributed used during the Wilding series .

They have never been recognised as different by the philatelic fraternity . If something is different (flecks), then it is a variety, whether it be in the printing,watermark or in this case the type of paper .

Although Mr Chris Harman of the the RPSL did comment,that these "varieties" had been seen before , when I sent him a scan depicting them last year .

So why is there no reference to them in any of the catalogues if they were classified as accidental ?

Edited By Fred Sellars on 06/12/2019 16:20:10

Fred Sellars16/12/2019 21:33:05
256 forum posts
91 photos

I have been trying to discover when these luminous fibre/fleck types of paper (FIB'S) was first used .

I can now confirm that the use of this type of paper to print British stamps goes back to at least 1965, specimens have been found of this type of paper used to print the 4d Battle of Britain stamps, of which I enclose an attachment, these were first issued on the 13th September 1965 and withdrawn from sale on the 15th April 1966, therefore, these papers were in use for some time, as this type of paper was also used to print the 1967 6d 9½mm definitives plus other values previously been brought to your notice, it would appear that it was an ongoing thing that has never been mentioned to the philatelic fraternity UNTIL NOW, we've all been kept in the dark !img_20191216_205146.jpg

Fred Sellars31/12/2019 13:48:29
256 forum posts
91 photos

Here's wishing both viewers and contributors of this site a very happy, peaceful and prosperous New Year 💥🍾 Fred.

Fred Sellars11/01/2020 15:57:15
256 forum posts
91 photos

img_20191217_133423.jpgimg_20200109_173609.jpgEarlier " FIB'S " have now been discovered prior to the ones previously show.

No doubt there will be others,yet to be found !img_20200109_232137.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values