Meet the "FIB'S"

The fibrillous papers of the Wilding's

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fred Sellars21/06/2019 17:12:25
110 forum posts
8 photos

Good evening everyone,

Anyone that has every been involved with collecting Wilding stamps will know that in the last part of their existence two types of papers evolved from cream paper to whiter ones, and has had an air of controversy ever since the post office issued a proclamation that from 1962 only whiter ones would be used to print the Wilding multiple crown definitives.

I can now let you into a little secret there was actually three types of papers used to print the Wilding stamps, cream type, whiter type and the third was a paper that included small fluorescent fibres in them that seems to have been introduced in the late 1960s, not a lot of information has been disclosed with regards to the third type it's all been a bit hush hush.

This information is to make you aware that they exist and are waiting to be discovered by the eagle-eyed collector with the use of a long wave UV light.

I suggest you first start looking in your own collection for them and branch out from there.

GOOD HUNTING !

Fred Sellars21/06/2019 20:18:04
110 forum posts
8 photos

To prove that I don't tell "fibs" here is a picture of the three types of papers used to print them,as seen under long wave UV.

Top row are "fibs"

Second row are "whiter papers"

Bottom rows are "cream type papers"

I hope you can see the difference, thank you.

img_20190621_195012.jpg

Edited By Fred Sellars on 21/06/2019 20:20:25

Trevor Bishop 122/06/2019 07:09:28
186 forum posts
58 photos

Hi Fred ,

Thanks for that information and pictures very interesting . I’m wondering are these UM stamps , and whether the thickness of the gum applied could’ve caused a change in fluorescence?

So as there are 3 types of paper it would be interesting to know why 3 were used and if any of them were scarce ! There must be other little bits of information to find about various stamps all of which adds to the enjoyment and a chance discovery of something unknown about previously .

Most of my wildings are used / soaked off and I’ve found they sometimes absorb fluorescence from other stamps & paper present in the box used for soaking off which would make it difficult to tell them apart .

It will prompt me to go back to the bags of wildings and to have another look at them under UV & see if I can spot any differences .

Trev

Fred Sellars22/06/2019 10:10:58
110 forum posts
8 photos

Good morning again Trev,

All the stamps depicted in the picture are unmounted mint .

The thickness of the gum in this case is irrelevant as it is the paper that responds to the UV light .

I agree that used stamps when being soaked off can get contaminated either by the paper they have been stuck on or the fluid that has been used, therefore I prefer to use unmounted mint if at all possible when showing a variety .

If you are going to go through your Wilding selection I suggest that you also look for the different coloured papers to be found on the multiple crown definitives in order to detect the cream type and whiter type varieties to be found.

Only use long wave UV and not short wave as this will not differentiate.

Happy sorting , cheers🍷 Fred.

Edited By Fred Sellars on 22/06/2019 10:11:44

Fred Sellars25/06/2019 11:58:34
110 forum posts
8 photos

Good morning all you Widing fans out there,

So as to bring you up-to-date with my findings so far with regards to "FIB'S" the various values found are as follows :-

The 4d value which not only has been found in sheet form but also in booklets❌

The 7d value only found on sheets.

The 8d value sheet form only.

The 1/- value that has already been shown to you.

❌ Booklet finding made by Hanns Fasching of the "Modern British Philatelic Circle" in his report in the Bookmark journal 2015 volume 45:no.3: pages 148/9.

Other than the booklet all the rest have been found in my own collection, it is quite possible that other values exist but have yet to be discovered.

Please report any other values found by your kind selves.

Thank you, Fred.

Fred Sellars27/06/2019 13:30:24
110 forum posts
8 photos

Good afternoon for anyone that is interested in Wilding stamps.

Here is one of the other values as previously stated.

It's the 4d from a sheet.

NOTE THE LUMINOUS FIBRES IN THE WHITER TYPE PAPER.img_20190627_125636.jpg

Fred Sellars02/07/2019 10:58:20
110 forum posts
8 photos

Good morning all you Wilding fans out there,

In my first picture with regards to the shilling values I failed to point out that all 3 papers mentioned are all 9.5mm violet phosphors, therefore not only do you have the fibs that are not listed in catalogues but also the cream ones as well.

As according to "the powers that be" only whiter type papers exist.

So there you have it folks !

As Arthur Askey used to say "before your very eyes".

A bit before some people's time I'm afraid.

Fred Sellars02/07/2019 14:55:53
110 forum posts
8 photos

For further information on cream and whiter type papers please see my thread called "it just doesn't make sense !".

Thank you.

Edited By Fred Sellars on 02/07/2019 15:02:15

Fred Sellars05/07/2019 15:36:58
110 forum posts
8 photos

Good afternoon everyone,

I can now show you the 7d value, this particular cylinder block appears to have more fluorescent fibres in it than the previous ones so far shown.

But you will not find them in the catalogue,so you are going to have to look elsewhere for them.

Maybe you already have some.

GOOD HUNTING !img_20190705_150631.jpg

Fred Sellars05/07/2019 16:15:00
110 forum posts
8 photos

I can't think as to why these have never been noticed before, after all, they have been around for over 50 YEARS !

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values