By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Perforation error on the 22p Flame red

On piece

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Fred Sellars21/06/2019 00:35:20
205 forum posts
67 photos

Some years ago I was sorting through a batch of kiloware and I came across this stamp pictured below, since then I have been trying to ascertain it's scarcity as I have never seen this particular stamp advertised either in mint or used condition, can anyone out there throw any light on the matter thank you.

It appears to have come from a sheet judging by the pulled perfs, so there must be other likewise stamps out there.img_20190614_140448.jpg

Carmen21/06/2019 11:53:32
650 forum posts
61 photos

That's really cool Fred. I have one of those in my Canadian stamp collection - Canada 1970 - 6c Isle of Spruce:

canada518.jpg

I got it from my approvals provider, but there is nothing in our Canada catalogue about it though.

I take it Gibbons has nothing to say about yours? My Scott didn't.

Fred Sellars21/06/2019 13:41:21
205 forum posts
67 photos

Good afternoon Carmen,

I see that we have similar likes and dislikes, however it would seem that miss-perforations are not a thing that the catalogues tolerate, I suppose they have to draw a line somewhere and these appear to be a no-no, however, some omissions are debatable (see my recent thread with regards to the penny red perf 16s).

This site gives you and me a chance to air their views on various aspects of Philately even when we are in disagreement with the upper echelons of the philatelic fraternity.

Trevor Bishop 122/06/2019 07:20:31
188 forum posts
58 photos

Hi Fred , Well quite a curiosity, especially as it’s from a sheet . You would think the post office staff or someone at the printers would’ve noticed and rejected them .

I’ve come across a few minor perf shifts but haven’t seen any fetch serious money . Interesting though & thanks .

On a similar topic I found a machin guillotined on the four sides ( on piece ) . Normally you see the sides cut in coils of stamps but I’ve only found one cut 4 sided .

I’ll have a look to see if I have anything similar tucked away .

Trev

Fred Sellars22/06/2019 09:40:47
205 forum posts
67 photos

Good morning Trev,

Prior to this reply I looked at your unusual collection in your album and particularly liked the pair of penny reds with the blind Ps and should be quite plateable.

I agree with what you say with regards to the fact that these stamps should not have been sold over the counter and often wonder how some imperforate stamps get onto the market, having said that my initial enquiry was relating to its scarcity as I have not seen any adverts for this particular value as it is availability that can make a stamp rare.

Thanks for your posting.

Billy Broadland22/06/2019 19:12:09
155 forum posts
46 photos

Hi Fred

Had a look on a well known online auction site. There were several mis-perforated machins for sale but I couldn't see the 22p red.

Maybe you have found one of a very few example. Some of the stamp were making a bit but not large sums.

Might be of interest to put it on there and see what it makes.

Fred Sellars22/06/2019 19:37:24
205 forum posts
67 photos

Hi Billy,

At this moment I don't want to sell it but just make basic enquiries,usually the stamps offered are in an unmounted condition whereby this one is used , nevertheless , used can sometimes be scarcer than the mint ones.

This value could be much more elusive than some of the others specimens currently available.on the market.

Thanks for the update, regards Fred.

Edited By Fred Sellars on 22/06/2019 19:39:12

Fred Sellars26/06/2019 11:57:09
205 forum posts
67 photos

Since posting this thread on 26th June, I have had quite a few viewers but no one seems to have seen this particular mis-perforation before,have I found a "hen's tooth" or a "wild goose" as there must be many more of them out there.

It may be that they have been thrown away by the recipient without realising ?

Surely the mint ones should be somewhere floating about.

If anybody has seen the likes before then please let me know,thank you.

Edited By Fred Sellars on 26/06/2019 11:58:00

Fred Sellars31/07/2019 15:03:56
205 forum posts
67 photos

img_20190712_212601.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers