By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

SG727 Issue date

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
ken mulford07/06/2019 11:33:09
11 forum posts

Well your problem of dateing should now be easier as todays stamps come with a date printed in the margin .

considering that same value stamps are printed several times a year.

I guess a collector would have to have a warehouse to store his/her collection in.

Kim Tomlinson08/06/2019 08:32:10
14 forum posts

Sorry I am back with a few more anomalies.

Q1 1990 150th anniversary of penny black, it’s commemorative but definitive in form, which way do collectors view it?

Q2 1990 Smiles Not commemorative but are the definitive?

Q3 1993 greetings booklet stamps which side of the divide do these fall?

Q4 2000 (6 Jan) New Millennium, same basic question?

Q5 2000 (15 Feb) Booklet stamps are these the same as in Q1 or a completely different area?

Generally where do these sit in your collections…

Neil Barrett 314/06/2019 14:01:47
9 forum posts

I'm not an expert but I'd say:

Q1 - it's a commemorative - it commemorates an anniversary. It just happens to be the same size and shape as a current definitive.

Q2 and Q3 - difficult - they're sort of themed commemoratives really.

Q4 - it's a definitive. Just a temporary change of colour.

Q5 - Same as Q1 as it's the same design with NVI instead of a value.

So the 2015 175th Anniversary Penny Black issues are also commemoratives. But the 2012 Diamond Jubilee Machin is a definitive in a temporary colour.

Someone here may know better but I'd say if it was only available in booklets, minisheets or packs then it has to be a commemorative. If it's on sale over the counter for general use - it could be either.

Kim Tomlinson14/06/2019 14:10:11
14 forum posts

Thanks Neil

I just found a list for commemorative's on Wikipedia

**LINK**

Smiles are on the list, so I take it they are Commemorative and the others are not so Q1, Q3, Q4 and Q5 are definitive's (maybe)

Neil Barrett 319/06/2019 12:03:43
9 forum posts

I suspect there's a difference between what Royal Mail uses the terms to mean and what collectors mean...

If RM called it a Special Stamps Issue - then maybe that makes it a commemorative?

Smilers were in booklets, presentation packs and as personalised sheets. Some later Smilers issues were available in counter sheets (I think). Greetings stamps were only ever in booklets or presentation packs. To make it more confusing - the 1990 Smilers are a Greetings booklet and later issues are sometimes called by either or both names!

I'd say they are not definitives... even when sold in counter sheets, they were available for a limited time and not re-printed.

Which might also mean that the MiIllennium White and Diamond Jubilee Blue are also not definitives ???

The double-head (whether with a value or NVI) has to be a commemorative surely - it's a design change that marks an anniversary.

The real answer of course - is go with whatever makes sense in your collection and your mind

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers