By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Are any of these stamps worth more than their face value?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
J D 119/05/2019 17:31:16
1 forum posts

I recently inherited this stamp collection from my grandfather, and am wondering if any of them are worth more than their face value?

If you think any are worth more but are unsure of the price, I don't mind researching those specific stamps individually.

Any help would be appreciated!

Stamps

Carmen21/05/2019 11:50:50
650 forum posts
61 photos

Welcome to the Fora, JD! I personally think that the best thing you can do, is to find your closest local stamp club or stamp show and give them a call or show up. I suspect they'll have someone there who will be *only too happy* to help you out.

Of course, my recommendation would always be to take up where your grandfather left off - stamp collecting is a fascinating hobby. That having been said, your grandfather seemed to be a collector specifically of "plate blocks" (i.e. 4 of a type plus whatever selvedge (that paper trim on the side with various colours and codes) that was in the corners of them. That, obviously, can be a more expensive proposition than just getting one of each! I'm also assuming that since I'm seeing nothing but American stamps, that you might be American yourself, and if yes, you may want to contact the American Philatelic Society for some help, if only so they can tell you about a local stamp club.

Sorry I can't be more specific... perhaps someone else can? I am no stamp dealer or expert, just an enthusiast of all things stamps! wink Do let us know how you fare though...

Carmen21/05/2019 11:54:00
650 forum posts
61 photos

Hey again! I just went and looked up the APS website, and they even have a section called "Inherited a Collection"!

fist

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers