By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Some stuff I've been up to, and upcoming...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Carmen19/05/2019 12:14:20
650 forum posts
61 photos

Hey kids, just thought I'd update the faithful readers with some of my activities lately:

- it turns out "The Royal" (the Royal Philatelic Society of Canada's annual stamp show) is only a few hours from here this year (near Toronto), so my stamp collecting buddy Tracey and I are going on a ROAD TRIP for the day on Saturday Jun 22nd. Woohoo! smile d Among other things there will be a talk by someone from the American Topical Association (ATA - which will have a presence at the show) all about the joys of thematic collecting (which is something I do along with my Canada interest: cats, soccer, Titanic, Royalty, Religion)

- speaking of thematic collecting I threw my hat in the ring the other day and actually joined the ATA for the next 5 years (it was a great price). I took out an electronic-type membership since I have no issues with reading on my cell phone or anything. Of course, this now means that I have access to their *many many* thematic stamp collecting checklists (although there is still a cost for members to purchase them since it takes a lot of work to maintain them but hey, membership has its privileges).

- finally, it's my birthday on Tuesday (hooray for me! cake) and while I was placing an order with my supplier the other day, I told my husband I was ordering a 500-stamp soccer stamps envelope and that could be my gift... fine by him. Less to do on his part. laugh I haven't received it yet but am looking forward to it, that's for sure.

How about everyone else? What have you all been to lately? Any big stamp-related plans or travels this summer?

Paul Davey 119/05/2019 18:22:09
407 forum posts
26 photos

A premature happy birthday! Enjoy the show and the Thematic / topical / motif collections.

Next big show here in Europe is Stockholm next week, which should be good. Can't afford to go to Wuhan in China the month after too though!

Carmen21/05/2019 11:39:37
650 forum posts
61 photos

Thanks Paul! Enjoy your trip to Stockholm... don't forget to post highlights for the rest of us more sedentary folk! laugh

Geoff CHILDS21/05/2019 17:33:11
2147 forum posts
2154 photos

Carmen,

Also early birthday wishes for Tuesday.

Only local stamp fairs looking for items for the collection and continuing scanning of covers for the website. Also for one of my other passions, good weather for gardening at home and crops on the allotment.

Geoff (GBCC)

Carmen22/05/2019 12:21:12
650 forum posts
61 photos

Ah yes Geoff, here in Kingston Canada this year we've gotten enough rain that I've already mowed my lawn four times! I'm not much of a gardener otherwise, but I do enjoy hopping onto the lawn tractor to do that. Pro tip: if you wear a Fitbit, take it off before you do that - the tractor goes fast enough that the Fitbit logs it as a Bike Ride!! LOL! Calling all cheaters!

And of course, outdoor football which began a couple of weeks ago and continues this weekend and early next week. Hopefully the city of Kingston can get its sports fields opened so we can start a more regular schedule - they've just been too wet to use so the leagues are having to share full-sized outdoor turf fields in limited numbers (4 of 'em!)

C.

Carmen01/06/2019 13:19:05
650 forum posts
61 photos

Hey so as discussed previously, my birthday stamps finally came in:

- 500 football stamps, representing 30 countries - I'm just starting to sort and catalogue them all but so far I think my favourite is a set from Bulgaria commemorating the '94 (USA) World Cup. Of course, Mongolia also never fails to please - wallpaper they may be, but they're *beautifully designed* wallpaper! wink

I also had ordered two small country packets as part of my "try to have one stamp from everyone who has ever issued one" plan:

- The Gambia (only because I think it's really cool how they added The to their name to prevent confusion with Zambia), and since I had no stamps from there anyway laugh

- Gwalior, a former Indian state, about which I know NOTHING, and look forward to learning more.

Happy stamping, all!

Edited By Carmen on 01/06/2019 13:19:36

Fred Sellars23/06/2019 14:18:21
134 forum posts
41 photos

Hiya Carmen it's that guy from blighty again.

Having a stamp from every country that has ever issued one sounds rather daunting as Gwalior is but the tip of an iceberg as would be Nova Scotia,New South Wales, Hawaii, Heligoland and suchlike.

How would you classify the United Nations stamps. 🌍🌎🌏

Would that also include local posts as well such as Lundy etc. etc., the mind boggles.

I don't think I will be going there, but best of luck if you attempt such a task.

Edited By Fred Sellars on 23/06/2019 14:32:10

Carmen24/06/2019 12:22:45
650 forum posts
61 photos

Oh heavens, no, Fred, nothing too complicated! As I mentioned in another post I just consider myself to be a general collector and complete dilettante compared to some. I also realise that there are some stamps I will probably never be able to acquire, just because of sheer cost... and the closer my husband gets to retirement (he's the main bacon earner around here), the more this is true, LOL!

Nope, I'm just keeping it basic: the UN would be considered a country, and I'd make sure I have at least one from their offices in New York, Geneva and Vienna (I already do). You know, that kind of thing. I also like to collect Number Ones, and you know that's never all happening either! But hey, I have a Penny Black and my next goal is Canada's #1 Red beaver stamp of course.

To start, the other day I found a Wikipedia article (well, three of them) with a list of all the stamp-issuing countries (I know I know... it's not exactly Encyclopaedia Britannica, but hey, it'll do to be going on with, yes?) So I'm scratching off the ones I already have at least one stamp for, and will keep the list in my "Carmen's Little Stamp Research Book" that I keep (a Moleskine notebook, that makes me feel like Indiana Jones every time I open it! wink)

Carmens Little Stamp Research Book.jpg

As I go to purchase, I'll see if there isn't anything inexpensive to help me scratch more items off the list.

There ya go... That's the Plan, Stan! thumbs up

Fred Sellars24/06/2019 19:06:10
134 forum posts
41 photos

Howdy there Carmen (you have to pardon my Yankee expression),

So you have a little black book how fascinating, no doubt you took that with you to the annual stamp show near Toronto.

I hope you was successful in crossing off a few more from your list.

In the meantime I would like to wish you a very very belated happy birthday💐, is it 21 again or shouldn't I ask ?😄

Kind regards Fred.

Edited By Fred Sellars on 24/06/2019 19:09:47

Edited By Fred Sellars on 24/06/2019 19:30:27

Billy Broadland24/06/2019 19:51:49
153 forum posts
45 photos

Hi Carmen

Don't know if you are just looking at current issuing countries or past ones?

If you are interested in past ones try dcstamps.com

It might put you off but I certainly found it of interest.

Regards

Billy

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers