By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Should I feel Guilty?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alistair Garner08/05/2019 20:03:56
28 forum posts
34 photos

Went to a small local stamp fair recently (about 20 dealers) and found a fantastic error on a GB commemorative, my speciality! The stamp was priced up at £30, which I was happy to part with and the dealer was happy to take my money (no haggling!), but this stamp is worth £300 any day.

It now resides proudly in my collection, but I do occasionally think, should I feel guilty? In reality, the dealer should know his stock and its worth. Has anyone actually said to a dealer "This is worth much more than you're asking for it"? Personally I don't think so!

Alistair

Paul Davey 108/05/2019 20:46:16
398 forum posts
26 photos

No need to feel guilty. Just think what he paid for it - feel sorry for the original seller! I have (rarely) pointed out to a dealer what he missed. The more contentious thing is unpriced material where he says "what's it worth?" Do you quote market price, try to get it for peanuts or something between? I say "well, it's worth £xxx to me", being prepared to buy it if he says yes and not being upset not to get it if he says not.

What about a scan Alistair, so we can see what you found?!

Alistair Garner08/05/2019 23:16:36
28 forum posts
34 photos

po tower paper fold.jpg

Carmen09/05/2019 12:24:12
615 forum posts
59 photos

Cool Alistair, well done! No need to feel guilty as far as I'm concerned.

The only time I'd feel guilty is if someone (not a collector) had given me stamps and I found something valuable in them, then I've decided I would

a) share my excitement with them

b) see if we can't come to an agreement about what to do with the find (i.e. I make a donation to a charity for them etc.), although hey, *I* found the stamp so I get a benefit there. A local charity shop has started calling me when they get stamps. I'll usually buy them off them with the understanding that if I see something valuable, they'll definitely benefit from the find. After all, they ARE a Charity Shop - they just don't have the time to figure out what to charge when someone gives them stamps.

But ultimately, that dealer sold it to you fair and square. More power to ya! laugh

Gillian Hutchinson18/05/2019 18:37:40
89 forum posts
3 photos

What do you tell the charity shop, Carmen?

Gillian

Carmen19/05/2019 11:59:33
615 forum posts
59 photos

Hey Gillian! Well one of my soccer buddies works there - that's how they contacted me in the first place. I will usually make them an offer based on what I see (which most of the time isn't much as you can expect - just a standard sort of younger person's collection that was abandoned into adulthood and then was found by the family kids when their parent dies and they're cleaning out... that kind of thing. BUT if I do find something, then I'll go back to them and we will all benefit.

Believe me, when people have a collection with some worth, it won't tend to wind up at a charity shop, if only because the children will have been told about it. My husband, for instance, has been told that while my collection is not worth a huge amount of money or anything, but don't be giving it away to a charity shop. Contact my approvals provider and they'll buy it off him. And who knows, as I age, I may simply start to wrap up my collection myself and take care of all that before I pass away. But who knows, ya know?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers