By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Inherited a collection

Advice sought please

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Digital Lulu05/03/2019 19:26:03
2 forum posts

Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum. I have jointly inherited a stamp collection, unfortunately, it’s not in good order as the house was very damp indeed. There are many albums with stamps here and there including an 1891 World stamps album, a 1937 schoolboy album and a few others eg a 1930s French album and a 1970s schoolgirl album.

There are envelopes (just general stamped mail) dating back to the 1950s, 60s and before, written international postcards and stamps torn from envelopes. In terms of volume, I have 80 litres worth so far and another 40 litres to come (just torn stamps, I think). I loved stamp collecting as a teenager so I am really looking forward to going through them, but long term, I need to sell the collection as I am only a part owner.

My questions are:

How do I dry the stamps out? Many are stuck solid in the albums due to the damp. Others have no gum left.

How do I best assess what there actually is in terms of the long term goal of selling them?

What is the best way to catalogue the stamps and store them?

Should I invest more albums or is there a better way to present stamps nowadays?

Should I move stamps already in albums to provide some kind of order or keep the existing albums as they are?

How one should I organise the loose stamps? By country / age?

Should I keep stamps on envelopes as they are, cut them to include the postmark, or steam them off?

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Thank you very much.

ken mulford15/03/2019 17:14:00
4 forum posts

to assess the real value i would suggest contacting a reputable dealer.

it's the only way of getting a real value and direction to progress your interest.

from what you have written it would seem that most of the collection is damaged this would render the value to a very. very low value.

i am not a dealer so again to get an impartial value contact a reputable dealer, there are plenty to conatact.

i personally would find this situation very exciting

Digital Lulu15/03/2019 20:37:30
2 forum posts

Thank you so much for your post Ken, much appreciated. I have contacted a dealer and will send them photographs of some of the album pages. Yes, it will be quite exciting to go through the stamps, but they certainly need some sort of sense of order. I am working through a coin collection at the moment which is somewhat challenging so I’ll be pleased to move on to stamps, then I have a collection of over 1,000 egg cups to figure out what to do with too!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values