By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Printed Album etiquette

How to mount stamps in a printed stamp album

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Gathergood15/02/2019 18:52:23
1 forum posts

I was very lucky and won an online auction for a new/pristine 2 volume set of Stanley Gibbons New Imperial album, covering Commonwealth for QV to GV inclusive.

What is the etiquette for mounting stamps in it please?

Normally I use Hawid mounts in my blank loose leaf albums but I am worried about using them because of the extra thickness causing problems in a hard bound volume. Also I am worried about the moisture from the licked glue warping the pages. Another problem is that black Hawid mounts would hide the printed image of the stamp in each space and whilst I could use clear mounts to be overcome this problem the clear mounts still have the other mentioned drawbacks of the black mounts (thickness and moisture).

I've never been a fan of hinges but I am currently thinking that hinges may be best, but when I have seen second hand printed albums that have been used and stamps removed the hinge remain always looks bad.

Does anyone have any views or opinions please? I'd hate to make a mistake and regret it later - the New Imperial albums are in absolutely brand new condition and still even in the original box and tissue paper. I want to make absolutely sure I am making the right decision with mounting the stamps.

Thank you

Robert

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values