Austria stamps

Overprint ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Trevor Bishop 118/01/2019 07:47:00
187 forum posts
58 photos

Hi ,

Can anyone please help me identify the overprint on these Austrian stamps please .

I’ve looked through the Michel catalogue and can’t find them but I may have missed them as there’s a lot of pages !

Any ideas ?

Thanks

Trev

2c162a53-4e27-41ac-ab3a-32e0f7a0443a.jpeg

Carmen18/01/2019 12:44:30
650 forum posts
61 photos

Oooh, feeling quite proud of myself! wink

So I went to Google and did a search on "What happened in Austria on May 29, 1921" and found this in Wikipedia under Austria's entry. Could it be that's what the overprint is for since I also see the Salzburg designation there? (see the second para)

" End of grand coalition and new constitution (1920–1933)

The grand coalition was dissolved on 10 June 1920, being replaced by a CS- SDAPÖ coalition under Michael Mayr as Chancellor (7 July 1920 – 21 June 1921), necessitating new elections which were held on 17 October, for what now became the National Council(Nationalrat), under the new constitution of 1 October. This resulted in the Christian Social party now emerging as the strongest party, with 42% of the votes and subsequently forming Mayr's second government on 22 October as a CS minority government (with the support of the GDVP) without the Social Democrats. The CS were to continue in power until the end of the first republic, in various combinations of coalitions with the GDVP and Landbund (founded 1919).

The borders continued to be somewhat uncertain because of plebiscites in the tradition of Woodrow Wilson. Plebiscites in the regions of Tyrol and Salzburg between 1919–21 (Tyrol 24 April 1921, Salzburg 29 May 1921) yielded majorities of 98 and 99% in favour of a unification with Germany, fearing that small Austria was not economically viable. However such mergers were not possible under the treaty. "

Alex18/01/2019 15:17:36
582 forum posts
12 photos

Yep, that is correct.

They are local OPs: Abstimmung in Salzburg, 29 Mai 1921.

Abstimmung means Plebiscite in this case. The overprints refers to the May 29, 1921 plebiscite in the province of Salzburg regarding a proposed union with Germany.

Trevor Bishop 118/01/2019 16:20:42
187 forum posts
58 photos

Well that is interesting thank you both . I couldn’t quite read enough of it and didn’t think of googling it .

And so by “local “ I presume they would only have been used in “ that area” or could someone have used the stamps in another area & has postal validity ?.

I’ve never seen them before & they will be a nice extra to my Austria album .

Do you know if they have much value & scarcity as I couldn’t find them in the catalogue .

Thanks

Trev

Alex18/01/2019 18:54:59
582 forum posts
12 photos

These OPs were ordered by the local governments of the Austrian states on behalf of the plebiscite commissions. As to their use or validity, perhaps someone else here can help you.

Surprised that you couldn't find them as both Michel and the Austrian Netto specials list them.

Aus/salz

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers