By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Philately-Related Christmas Presents

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gillian Hutchinson08/01/2019 15:38:57
87 forum posts
3 photos

I had a Great Britain Stamp Album on my wish list for Christmas 2018. I'm not sure if there was anything else on the list. I got what I think is a GB stamp album, but it had very few pages in it and those were blank - not squared like most stamp album pages. I also got what was supposed to be a starter kit - a stock book and some stamps - no hinges. Any advice welcome.

I haven't looked at all the stamps yet, but one caught my attention. It had General Gouvernement on the front, also an eagle. I Googled it and it seems that it's from Poland from when the Germans were occupying Poland.

A funny extra note to a previous post about my little sister buying me stamps - I found an old birthday card - sent in recent years - on which she had written that she had found some stamps in the house and had given them to me for Christmas, only to be told they were mine In the first place!

Happy New Year to all!

Gillian

Gillian Hutchinson08/01/2019 23:41:38
87 forum posts
3 photos

I also meant to ask where the stamp from German-occupied Poland should be placed - in Poland or on a special page for stamps from occupied countries?

Gillian

Alex09/01/2019 07:24:43
576 forum posts
12 photos

Nice presents, for sure.

Most beginner sets don't have hinges, just the stock book to slip the stamps in. The hinges, and how to apply them to the stamps and into albums, come into practice a little bit later with many beginners, once they get round to learning the very 'basics' first. I think, though, that hinges have lost their popularity these days in favour of Hawid mounting strips.

(Personally, I don't use neither hinges nor mounting strips. I house my collections in leather German Lighthouse stock books, with black pages and the albums kept in slip cases. I don't write up my collection either; just the stamps set against a black background is all I need to enjoy them.)

Regarding the occupation stamps, they can be put into either a Germany or a Poland collection as they apply to the history of both countries, or as you say, a special occupation section. No hard rules.

Carmen09/01/2019 11:38:46
598 forum posts
59 photos

Hey Gillian would put them in Poland, because the way I see it, it's part of Poland's history that they were occupied by the Nazis and that stamps were issued there during that time. Just my $.02. cheeky

Gillian Hutchinson25/01/2019 22:18:47
87 forum posts
3 photos

OK, this is the 3rd attempt at this because the webpage keeps logging me out. This time I have clicked Remember Me, so hopefully I won't be logged out before I manage to send my post.

Thanks, Chris and Carmen. I'll put any occupied Poland stamps on the Poland page. So far I've just seen one.

I'm confused about the GB stamp album. Is it normal to have only a few pages in an album but space for more and are those pages normally blank as opposed to squared?

Gillian

Paul Davey 126/01/2019 12:47:54
395 forum posts
26 photos

You don't say the make of the GB album Gillian. Some have pages available with a space for each stamp and an annual supplement to keep it up to date. The posh versions have mounts already on the pages to just slip the stamp in. Did you get a binder for one of these? The initial outlay on a set of pages is likely to be substantial (& need more than one binder)!

Gillian Hutchinson26/01/2019 14:03:54
87 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Paul,

I like the sound of the posh albums. The album is a Davo and is actually a binder, which comes in a case and has what appear to be page dividers(?) My son gave it to me and I'm guessing he couldn't afford to give me extra pages, but I would have thought there'd be more than 3 to start with. There was definitely no marked spaces for individual stamps.

Gillian

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values