By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Stanley Gibbons 'Windsor' Albums - what's been going on?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Shouksmith24/11/2018 00:13:13
4 forum posts

I started collecting GB in 1968/69 when I purchased a Stanley Gibbons 'Windsor' album - Volume I, instead of swotting for my A-levels. Over the years since then, I've collected stamps in fits and starts - brief periods of frantic accumulation interspersed with long periods of total inactivity. Over the years, I also purchased Volumes II, III and IV.

When I got out my albums a few weeks ago, I saw that I'd kept them up-to-date as far as 1994 and I managed to find the 1995 annual supplement and that completed my volume IV. So far, so good.

It was clear that at some point, Gibbons had split the original Volume I (originally 1840 - 1970 i.e. all the pre-decimal issues) into two Volumes - 1840-1952 and 1952-1970 and re-arranged the year ranges in the other volumes. I asked a well-known stamp dealer about this and he suggested I'd be better asking Vera Trinder - fair enough. I spoke with VT earlier today and although they were very helpful up to a point, they didn't have the specific information I required and suggested I spoke with Stanley Gibbons. I did that and, again, they were helpful up to a point. The lady on the helpdesk suggested I buy a 2013 'Conversion Pack' - (R5523CP-13) for £19.95 which she'd found in-stock on their website - I'm blowed if I can find it - but, anyway, it didn't seem to be what I needed.

The result is I've no idea which pages and what are supposed to be in each Volume under the new format. Is it worth converting to the newer format or should I just stay where I am with old Volumes I - IV and buy the new Volumes from 1996 onwards? Help!!

Trevor Bishop 125/11/2018 09:58:45
165 forum posts
54 photos

Hi there ,

Well I'm no sure this helps but ...... I used a 1840- 1970 Windsor album and because I needed two ( mint & used ) it was costing quite a bit also I founded rather annoyingly that the black ink from the stamp pictures on the opposite side was rubbing off onto the actual stamps making a real mess of predominantly white designs .

SG sent me some interleaves for free when I complained but following that I then went to Tower albums with regular quadrilled pages and I could put mint & used on he same page .

Davo albums would be an option at a considerable cost or if you are really keen on staying with Windsor then I would keep an eye on eBay as plenty come up with & with out stamps .

Well that's my twopenny worth , I hope that helps in some way .

Trev

Trevor Bishop 125/11/2018 10:47:19
165 forum posts
54 photos

Hi David ,

Sorry my last reply didn’t really answer your question but having re read you message I think I would forget the conversion pack & just buy a new volume with 1995 onwards & carry on using the new format .

I remember buying the new pages for my Windsor over the years and having to take stamps out & use new Hawids for any number of “ replacement pages” , a right faff & waste of paper .

Trev

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers