By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Today's cancelled envelope

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Alex22/11/2018 13:41:06
582 forum posts
12 photos

Another rare event for me, an envelope with actual stamps on it was delivered today. It was posted in Maidenhead and contained, ironically, a philatelic journal (with an article of mine within its hallowed pages).

As usual, Royal Mail hasn't disappointed me!

Not only have the stamps been cancelled with RMs 21st Century version of a cancellation device (this time by marker pen rather than the crayon used the last time) but, for good measure, half of the left side has been torn open so that a diligent member of staff could make sure the contents were of value. Sadly, I surmise, my humble article was deemed unworthy of further attention and the envelope was sent on its way without further mishap.

img_0255 (1024x732).jpg

ken mulford07/06/2019 11:11:02
11 forum posts

I personally would not jump to a conclusion like that as i have had similar mailings to me where the end of the envelope is damaged.

Cheap envelopes add to the problem.

I would be more inclined to suspect the automated handling machines to cause the damage.

More to the point of my reply is to comment on the way the cancellation of stamps is done.

Again i would suggest that the handling machines are not doing there job.

So when the posty delivers he has to mark the stamp so it cannot be reused, and nobody EVER reuses an unmarked stamp do they !

As of late i find THE BIRO to be a preferred way of damaging a stamp to render it unusable, to me it is also uncollectible.

Have you not noticed that if you buy stamps from Tallents House that they use prepaid envelopes ?

The post office do not even use there own product,,, unbelievable is it not.

Tried to show a jpeg pic of the envelope to prove my point but this site has no easy way of doing it.

Julian13/08/2019 01:36:04
634 forum posts
261 photos

Hi Alex,

One of my favourite subjects, there is no way you could re use those for sure but I have re used biro cancels depending on how hard the person scribbled over them, as it can be lifted off the stamp. I do not do much these days, as you say its very rare to get stamps through the post.

I now use a online company to deliver birthday and x'mas cards to friends in Canada and USA as it works out the same price and my American friends report the same things like mail going to neighbours etc etc. This also has been here since we lost the regular postman, probably late 1990's. To date it can be anybody and at any time of the day. I used to like having a chat with the posty and now the P.O has moved into WH Smiths I don't get to chat the ladies up in there like I used to. I did write to the PO that if they moved to WH Smiths it would be a bad move and have been proved right as their internet connection fails regularly. Very handy when your half way through a transaction and you have to wait to finish what you was doing!!

Happy days though, they are just forcing people away from them and to other companies like Hermes and the internet yourself.

As for receiving it in condition, had a letter from the Hospital arrive in a plastic bag saying sorry that my letter was actually in two halves. I am also getting my currency changed up online as well these days, much better rates. with either pick up point or I have it sent to friends accounts abroad.

I think the Conservatives will get their way with the RM and probably the NHS all being Private in the end in the near future. I find it highly funny that businesses creamed off big contracts to deliver mail then passed it onto the RM to deliver anyway????

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers