By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Thematic Collecting protocols - for omnibus issues

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Brown 1409/09/2018 19:38:17
4 forum posts
2 photos

Hi All,

I may have put this in the wrong place as I suppose this question could relate to all collections not just thematics if I have I apologise.

When collecting a thematic issue it is considered 'Bad practice' to mix mint and used sets in the same issue or is it a matter of choice.

ie. The 1935 Silver jubilee - I have several sets which are used but I also have some sets that are mint should I mount the whole lot in one set of album leaves and mix the two types to try and complete the whole issue or should they never be mixed and therefore I should use two sets of album leaves thus doubling the size of the number of pages used to achieve the same result.

clivel10/09/2018 18:00:15
12 forum posts
1 photos

There is no such thing as good or bad practice, it is absolutely your own choice as to how you choose to collect.
Some people like to have one of each stamp irrespective of whether mint or used and mix them. Others collect only mint and others only used.
My personal preference is to collect two sets, one mint and one used, thus doubling the number of pages.

Clive

AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages

Paul Brown 1410/09/2018 22:18:52
4 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks Clive

I thought that this would be the case but just wanted to get it 'right' if you know what I mean.

I will probably go for the single mixed collection first and then split the collected stamps as the collection grows etc.

As I will mount all of the stamps both mint and used it shouldn't damage the stamps the way a hinged collection would.

Paul

Carmen11/09/2018 12:08:15
571 forum posts
58 photos

Yes Paul, when it comes to stamp collecting, anything goes... whatever encourages anyone to collect stamps is fine by me! Let no Stamp Snob discourage you! (Not that we have any of those in this forum... it's one of the reasons I love it!)

In fact, I found out a friend of mine is now collecting stamps, and one day, I suggested to her that one of her thematic interests might be to collect stamps with her favourite colour of hot pink in them! I thought of that as I was cataloguing a 2p beautiful hot-pink-coloured Machin.

As for me, one thematic collection I intend to pursue is how I came to be living in Kingston, Ontario for the last 22 years, through stamps (i.e. my military husband was posted here <insert appropriate military stamp>; for a while I worked for the Royal Military College of Canada <insert Canadian RMC commemorative stamp> blah blah blah

Have fun!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers