By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Maltese watermark question

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Carmen27/06/2018 12:50:00
570 forum posts
58 photos

Okay kids, take a look at the picture below of the watermark on this 1956 Maltese stamp (Scott 252 - 3p King's Scroll) - there is a little shadowing, but you should be able to see (according to Scott), Watermark 4 (crown with CA underneath it):

malta 252.jpg

As you can see though, in my case, that watermark seems to be inverted (i.e. the CA is backwards) According to my Stamp Software, this would be Scott 252_1, watermark 4 inverted, which is worth considerably more than 252 (relatively speaking I mean - I'm not about to buy myself a plane and go over there and take you all for lunch or anything!) cheeky

QUESTION; I did this correctly, right? It wouldn't be considered "inverted" only if I was looking at it through the FRONT of the stamp, yes? In other words, if the correct watermark were pictured here, I would see CA properly in this picture, yes?

Thanks for your input!

Paul Davey 127/06/2018 17:00:50
391 forum posts
26 photos

Hi Carmen

most stamp catalogues show the watermark as seen from the front of the stamp. Of course most of us view it from the back, however printers regard the front of a sheet of paper as the one they should print on and the front is the side that shows the watermark correctly. From this perspective your stamp is the right way round. sad If it were the other way it would be described as reversed.

Note too that "inverted" means the CA and crown would be upside down when the printing is the right way up. (hope that makes sense!)

To confuse matters inverted, reversed is also possible!

Paul

Carmen29/06/2018 12:22:42
570 forum posts
58 photos

Okay thanks Paul. Unfortunately, the other answer I've received is "yes it is."

So to sum up my survey so far : "No it isn't." "Yes it is." LOL!

Well so be it, my research will continue... although I'm tending to agree with you... either way, this is the fun part of collecting stamps isn't it?! laugh The Sherlock Holmes-like detective work!

Paul Davey 129/06/2018 16:24:25
391 forum posts
26 photos

If you don't believe me try:

insights/stamp-collecting-basics/2000/july/check-watermarks-to-identify-valuable-stamps-.html >**LINK**

I chose a site in North American specially!

Paul

Carmen30/06/2018 12:34:14
570 forum posts
58 photos

Thanks Paul! Oddly enough, I came across that same article as well as I was looking around! Great minds googling alike, I guess!

Oh well, that magnificent (usually short-lived) moment when you think you've hit a small jackpot (I don't mean financially, I mean as a collector) is WHY I collect stamps! I love it!

This has happened to me once before: I had just opened up a new issue of Stamp Mag (when I still received the paper edition), and there, on the cover of an auction company's catalogue, was the same type of Russian stamp I had only just seen as I sorted through an envelope of stamps given to me by some friends. Obviously, auction catalogues will tend to feature their more valuable/rare upcoming offerings on the cover.

So in the time it took to do the 30-foot walk to get to my office (where my catalogue was) from the TV room, THE WORLD WAS MY OYSTER, ya know?

Of course, it was then that I found out that, rather than owning a rare stamp worth thousands of dollars... I had one of the regular ones valued at about 25 cents. D'OH! cheeky

Anyone else have such a story to tell?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers