By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Last Day Cover ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Philip Jones 410/05/2018 16:49:03
2 forum posts

Hi all, I'm not really a stamp collector but I am sorting through some boxes of my Dad's stuff (he passed away some years ago but I'm still sorting stuff out).

Can anybody tell me how common a "last day cover" is? I've heard a lot about first day covers but this envelope seems to be commemorating the last day of use for stamps with 1/2D denominations. It is dated 31 July 1969 and carries 1/2D, a different 1/2D, 1&1/2D, 2&1/2D and 4&1/2D stamps.

thanks

Philip J

Geoff CHILDS10/05/2018 18:56:36
1759 forum posts
1765 photos

Phillip,

This sort of cover falls under the term 'Special Event Cover' and as it says on the tin the cover and or the postmark is to commemorate a special event, ie a battle, an anniversary of any sort etc etc.

I post two images below of covers for the 31/071969 special event.

Please visit My site by clicking on the link below as well as apart from First Day Covers I collect Special Event Covers and postmarks of Great Britain and the site has some 24000 images.

Geoff ( GBCC) www.gbcovercollector.co.uk

1969_last day halfpenny green stourbridge_1112.jpg1969_last day of halfpenny green stourbridge 1_1112.jpg

Philip Jones 411/05/2018 15:30:16
2 forum posts

Thank you for your reply.

Great website, I will spend some time looking through it as I have a stack of about 50 1st day covers.

Kind regards

Philip J

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers