By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Phosphor Bands

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Light02/04/2018 19:01:09
4 forum posts

Is is not unusual for a phosphor centre band on a Machin not to be actually in the centre but offset?

Trevor Bishop 103/04/2018 11:13:53
158 forum posts
52 photos

Hi , It depends how off centre it is - sometimes they can be be offset so that they appear at the side . They can also be shifted up/down so that they don't reach the edge of the stamp ( short bands) . In fact phosphor bands appear in many varieties for which you need the MACHIN bible .

It's a complex subject but interesting .

Trev

Carmen03/04/2018 12:27:32
555 forum posts
58 photos

Huh... I'm not a devotee of Machins: what's the "Machin bible"? Just curious! smiley

Trevor Bishop 103/04/2018 20:26:04
158 forum posts
52 photos

Hi Carmen ,

Adminware .ca is a good place to start which will give you as much as you'd want to know . If you're really keen you could try the Deegam ultimate catalogue I think now produced as a CD rom is VERY detailed including which direction the stamps were printed , printing types , phosphors , etc etc etc . The post office have now sneakily thought to put one unusual machin only available in expensive Prestige booklets knowing fans HAVE TO buy them . I sort of got interesting in them for a while & then got bored . I think there are a few imperf machins which are worth £100's . You need a UV light or two to really study them .

Each to their own , I'll stick to engravers ,Postmarks , & Postal Stationery of any type .

Trev

Carmen04/04/2018 12:21:36
555 forum posts
58 photos

Well cool Trevor, thanks! I do have a lot of them but I must admit it's not a particular interest of mine, although I never cease to be impressed by all the colours they come up with!

Trevor Bishop 116/04/2018 05:09:44
158 forum posts
52 photos

Hi Carmen ,

Yes I agree with you they often come in new "exciting tempting new colours" even metallic Gold colour . Interestingly I thought that the only value they never brought out ( under 50p) was the 21p tho they they did issue a 20.5p stamp!! I can't remember why?

I've moved on now to attractive stamps & engravers most recently Monaco , some very nice stamps .

Oh and postmarks & postal history covers .

Trev

Carmen16/04/2018 11:26:27
555 forum posts
58 photos

Indeed Trevor, there are some magnificent engraved stamps out there. I used to especially enjoy the stuff issued by the Soviet Union (and all the other Communist countries). Some of it was magnificent, even if it proved my point about Communist Hypocrisy: "We refute capitalism by issuing stamps with the sole purpose of getting rich off stamp collectors."

laugh

I remember showing some to a friend of ours who was born in Russia and came to Canada as a teen... she laughed and said "Nope! I don't think any of US ever saw or used those!"

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers