By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

A question about GB stamp issues

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Carmen03/03/2018 15:22:06
547 forum posts
57 photos

Simple really: why did Great Britain start issuing separate stamps for England, Scotland and Wales (& N. Ireland?) I'm talking about the one with sculpted Tudor Roses and and trees stuff like that, that look like bas relief.

Are the general GB ones still sold in those countries or has it now been completely separated? If yes, why is England still issuing those stamps as well as its ow?

You can see my confusion! cool

Alex03/03/2018 16:50:41
562 forum posts
7 photos

These are regional definitive and the ones you mention were first issued back in the 1990s though regional definitive stamps go back to the 1950s. They were originally issued as promoting the separate regions and still function in this way, though I would guess that the financial benefits of separate national stamps for collectors to buy isn't lost on Royal Mail!

Each home nation has a set of definitive stamps and they serve the same function as the normal definitives (the Machins with the queen's head).

While the Regional stamps are sold in whatever nation they represent, they are valid for postage throughout the UK as a whole. And yes, the 'normal' Machin definitive stamps are also sold, and in fact these still make up the vast bulk of postage stamps sold. I rarely see regional stamps on my mail.

I'm sure that a GB collector can tell you more.

Edited By Alex on 03/03/2018 16:54:00

Billy Broadland03/03/2018 19:20:20
136 forum posts
40 photos

Good question Carmen and a good answer Alex.

What confuses a lot of people is that Great Britain in stamp terms contains Northern Ireland but really the correct term is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Just to confuse things even more I have just looked up what "The British Isles" means and this includes Ireland.

How do tourists get on trying to understand this set up.

Carmen04/03/2018 11:50:18
547 forum posts
57 photos

Beats me Billy. Then there's Great Britain at the Olympics, but England and Scotland etc. at the World Cup... #myeyesarecrossed laugh

Oh well, as Alex pointed out... all the more stamps for me to collect I guess! #hoardingonatinyscale

Ian Billings13/03/2018 16:08:20
32 forum posts
9 photos

As far as sports are concerned where there is a 'Team GB' it really should be 'Team UK'. However the 3-letter abbreviation has been GBR for so long, and UK- has now been taken by Ukraine.

Catalogue editors are a law unto themselves. Great Britain was the term used from the first catalogues when it WAS Great Britain. Only when Ireland achieved independence was UK&NI the correct term.

Similarly virtually all catalogues have stamps for Russia which run from Imperial Russia through to the modern day, but the USSR or Soviet Union) was more than Russia, and has now become 15 different countries. Try asking for Russian stamps and you wont' just be shown those from the 19th century and post-1991, which are truly Russia.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers