By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

A new method for self-adhesive stamp removal...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gillian Hutchinson20/02/2019 14:56:00
95 forum posts
3 photos

Did you ever get that Sierra Leone stamp, Carmen? Have you seen this? I found it on a Google search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3TwMX8Be7c

Just wondering, would simple lemon juice work? Very interesting video, about why self adhesive stamps were invented and how you can recognize them, amongst other things, although I'm not really any the wiser about the latter. I must have a look sometime at self adhesive and lickable stamps to check it out.

Eric, I usually try soaking all my stamps and if the backing paper is stubborn/reluctant to separate, I just mount those stamps as they are.

Gillian

Eric Franks20/02/2019 17:14:31
2 forum posts

Gillian, I watched the video, thanks for that. I have tried the pure citrus method before, perhaps 8 years ago. I didn't get great results from that product. It is supposed to be one of the safest ways though, other than luke-warm water. People tend to rush using very hot water, but that can also damage some stamps, or make the backing paper run.

I mostly collect either Sweden or recent USA stamps. The Sweden stamps soak easily, but the USA, I just trim those now.

ken mulford15/03/2019 17:19:38
11 forum posts

seem's a dumb way to lift a stamp off paper.

lemon juice = acid , not a good idea for paper.

whats wrong with the old way of using good old Ronson lighter fuel?

works for me every time , even saves the adhesive.

so you need to have a backing paper to store them on..

Gillian Hutchinson23/03/2019 11:59:47
95 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by ken mulford on 15/03/2019 17:19:38:

seem's a dumb way to lift a stamp off paper.

lemon juice = acid , not a good idea for paper.

whats wrong with the old way of using good old Ronson lighter fuel?

works for me every time , even saves the adhesive.

so you need to have a backing paper to store them on..

Does it have to be Ronson? Not sure we have any of that stuff.

Gillian

ken mulford23/03/2019 16:11:10
11 forum posts

No, Ronson is just the name for lighter fuel which i have used for years to enhance watermarks but through experimentation have found it to be good to lift self adhesive stamps of the u.k.

i lift u.k stamps that have pva/ dex gum by floating on luke warm water.

The time needed for a successful lift relies entirely on the paper the stamp is stuck to.

Patience becomes a virtue, try it out on stamps that are of no use to you.

I never wash them, not sure if this will damage the surface paper,postmark or stamp colour if you do

so to be sure i take the slow way and float them, experience will tell you if your way is good or not.

Regards Ken

Gillian Hutchinson10/04/2019 11:11:03
95 forum posts
3 photos

I soak all my stamps in warm water. The self-adhesives have a variety of reactions - some come off fairly easily, some tear in the process, some end up very flimsy and some end up with the envelope paper looking like tiny balls of polystyrene. Maybe I should just trim them all - self adhesives I mean - ?

Gillian

Carmen30/04/2019 12:50:02
650 forum posts
61 photos

One of my friends has decided that rather than worry about soaking and so forth, she just trims around the stamp and leaves it at that.

I've been listening to a podcast called Stamp Show Here Today... they highly recommend a product called Pure Citrus (orange) (you can buy it online) - at least for removing the gum on American s-a... I will buy some and try it on our own Canadian S-a.

Then watch this to see how to do it:

**LINK**

I also highly recommend the podcast - all 200+episodes are there and I decided to start from the beginning - very interesting and quirky hosts with a great sense of humour (hence the video's allusion to a picture of a viking chicken...)

Carmen30/04/2019 12:53:59
650 forum posts
61 photos
Posted by ken mulford on 23/03/2019 16:11:10:

No, Ronson is just the name for lighter fuel which i have used for years to enhance watermarks but through experimentation have found it to be good to lift self adhesive stamps of the u.k.

Was listening to a podcast the other day where they hesitate to use lighter fluid because it will tend to have additives that aren't good for stamps, such as oil (to stop it the fluid evaporating too quickly), that kind of thing. As opposed to pure benzene or naptha or watermark fluid.

ken mulford17/05/2019 09:38:47
11 forum posts

The lighter liquid i use is NAPTHA , it is on the tin.

No oil additives included or implied by the description on the container.

It's a proven method, to me a t least with over 40 years of use,

at least i know i am not soaking my stamps in citric acids

with what long term damage is unknown.

Remember 'rust 'spots on old stamps and album pages ? I understand they are acid based causes.

Would not put to much trust in podcasts , to much fake news .

ken mulford17/05/2019 09:55:15
11 forum posts

as kids we would write secret messages on paper using citric acid orange/lemon juice.

when it dried it was invisible, when warmed up the message became visible.

i suppose my point is what is the long term effect on your precious stamps ?

Your stamps your gamble.lol

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers