Trev Bishop

Czechoslovakia catalogue recommendations

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Trevor Bishop 116/02/2018 09:20:03
157 forum posts
51 photos

Hi ,

I am looking for a good stamp catalogue for Czechoslovakia and wondering if anyone can recommend one .

I recently bought the NEW 2017 SG one which now doesn't include Poland & is only £1 cheaper than the previous one I bought - a nice little earner , but why leave out Poland and have a skinny catalogue for £28 . Apart from that it isn't much different from the previous one . Would Michel have more detail ? I expect there's a Czech one but although I could manage German at a pinch ,Czech would be  out of the question & sourcing one might be tricky . And without buying one it's hard to know what they're like .

Anyone got one ?

Trev

Edited By Trevor Bishop 1 on 16/02/2018 09:21:11

Trevor Bishop 116/02/2018 09:33:43
157 forum posts
51 photos

Sorry can some one change the Topic title to something appropriate please like "Michel catalogues for Czechoslovakia .

Thanks

Alex16/02/2018 11:08:48
562 forum posts
7 photos

As the owner of both Michel and SG, I can say that the Michel catalogues do provide more detail.

As to a Czech catalogue, you could visit the Czech collectors website and ask for advice on their guest forum.

**LINK**

Al

Trevor Bishop 116/02/2018 16:26:32
157 forum posts
51 photos

Thanks for the Link Alex .

I really like the engravings of some of their stamps and some of FDC envelopes have some lovely designs - I'll try & put some photos on the forum . Czech stamps used to be really cheap almost worthless and so I was able to buy some bulk auction lots , however I've recently noticed ( on eBay) that prices are creeping up especially the earlier items . Also SG's prices have gone up significantly .

I just remembered Pofis was the Czech catalogue ( in Czech ) but I'm not sure how recent is the newest edition .

The newly formed Czech Republic stamps seem difficult to find in quantity & certainly quite a bit more expensive than the old Czechoslovakia .

Anyway plenty to keep me busy .

Trev

Alex20/02/2018 21:28:52
562 forum posts
7 photos

I agree, the old Czechoslovakian stamps were well designed with their engravings and subject matter. I used to collect Czechoslovakia too and still have them somewhere in a box. I especially loved the space exploration series, the one of nude women holding space ships and satelittes!

One reason that the older Czechoslovakian stamps are so plentiful and cheap is because they were produced in large numbers for collectors. Philately was a Communist Party approved hobby of the Soviet Union and its allies and stamp collecting was encouraged on a political level.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers