By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Regiment stamps

Not sure what they are

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Timmins09/01/2018 12:50:09
2 forum posts
1 photos

Could someone please tell me something about these old stamps please?20180109_122243 (1).jpg

Alex09/01/2018 19:49:39
562 forum posts
7 photos

Well, they're not postage stamps.

They look like stickers for children to stick into some cheap album on British military badges. Possibly mid 20th century as the crowns appear to be George VI.

Al

John Timmins09/01/2018 20:16:30
2 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks Al

If they are indeed stickers then they are misprints because they look exactly like they do in the photo.

John

Alex09/01/2018 21:27:21
562 forum posts
7 photos

Yes, I did notice that but wasn't sure whether the actual image was reversed.

Does seem unusual that they were printed in reverse. Is the other side gummed? Could be printers waste, possibly offset prints, perhaps. Or maybe they are transfers.

Al

Julian16/01/2018 16:17:19
626 forum posts
261 photos

Hi John & Alex,

Are these not information labels which go along with coins. I seem to remember a collection of coins with regiments and you would get a paper insert with the emblems. Its hard to see but are the Perf would be a good sign to tell and as you say Alex are they gummed. I would still think it has a market value with the reverse print even if it is a information sheet. And while I am typing this, did the RM not bring out a set of regiment stamps, I could be wrong, a bit like minxy and her king and queens set that I remember??? It sort of reminds me of the old tea cards you could get or even older the silks but it does just look like a pictorial information sheet. .

Ian Billings14/03/2018 09:52:50
32 forum posts
9 photos
Posted by John Timmins on 09/01/2018 20:16:30:

Thanks Al

If they are indeed stickers then they are misprints because they look exactly like they do in the photo.

John

I thin they are transfers. This sort of thing was given away with sweets or comics; cut one out, wet it, place it on the arm (non-hairy of course as children!), smooth it down, and peel off the paper. Result, tattoo-like transfer.

Carmen14/03/2018 11:38:53
547 forum posts
57 photos

Yeah, transfers makes sense in view of the writing being backwards.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers