Cape of Good Hope triangles - largest blocks

Updating Mr Stevenson's reference book

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Nemo05/09/2017 17:45:58
2 forum posts
3 photos

Hi,

This is my first post, so please go easy on me if I've messed anything up ... there doesn't seem to be a Preview option!

If anyone uses Alan Stevenson's famous 1950 book "The Triangular Stamps of the Cape of Good Hope" as a reference, you may be interested to annotate his chart on page 131 which lists the largest known blocks at that time.

I recently obtained a copy of the 1962 Maurice Burrus COGH auction catalogue, which includes three blocks larger than Mr Stevenson's stated maxima.

Lot 97 is a used block of six 1d woodblocks in the Carmine shade, stated to be unique, raising the bar from 4 in Stevenson. Lot 144 is a mint block of thirty-two De La Rue 1d in the brownish-red shade, trouncing the block of 4 listed in Stevenson. And lot 148 is an amazing mint block of 56 De La Rue 4d in a shade catalogued as greenish blue, which is not currently listed by Gibbons ; the largest multiple listed by Stevenson in any of the known shades is 33.

Here are the photos :

010.jpg

011.jpg

BOB

Paul Davey 105/09/2017 20:54:18
375 forum posts
26 photos

Great first post Bob. It's not my field, but I appreciate any research like this. Nothing in the "Big COGH" sales of more recent times? Hackmey, Maxwell- Joseph, Maximus etc? I have some of these auction cats in my cellar store. There is also the Corinphila edition d'or of the Hackmey collection with much useful info.

I look forward to more useful stuff!

Paul

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers