Articles

David Bowie

David Bowie

Issued on March 14, 2017

Julian09/03/2017 13:38:32
635 forum posts
261 photos

Ok lets start with the verdict!

Commemorative worth : Indeed if anyone knows anything about music Bowie was far in advance of himself with his music and indeed shaped music as did the Blues. Whilst I appreciate this fact maybe his first death Anniversary is worth it but I sort of scratch my head.

Whilst 4 / 5 has been given, that would only apply to me and my generation (Who) lol lol.

So go on even though most will dis agree I will settle for 4 but I think it should be less.

Quality of design : Album covers oh I remember theme and YES I still have them under the stairs which I am planning to get rid of soon, there are albums under there which will be worth money for sure including Pink Floyd which I won a stamp pack heart

Its not really design is it???? 2 / 5 correct they surely needed to think of better images.

Wow factor : I think I am easily satisfied here as I had most these albums Diamond Dogs being one of my first, just loved that album and not featured which is a mistake I think! So sorry David I don't think they done you proud and thus 2 / 5 is right again and if I add my feeling up to all this and go back to Commemorative worth I definitely bring that down as well to probably 2 / 5 as well.

He was worth more than this set of stamps gives, he was a master in his class and in fact Kraftwerk did the same with electronic music of the same era. They actually went hand in hand.

Alex09/03/2017 20:01:28
583 forum posts
13 photos

Nothing original about this set but worthwhile for Bowie fans and rock music fans in general. Bowie was a big influence in the British music scene for sure, and very talented. A suitable set of stamps therefore even if boring and totally uninspired in their execution and design.

I will certainly watch out for a Heroes stamp (the only Bowie LP that I ever bought) on my mail but I won't hold my breath as I cannot remember the last time a current commemorate stamp actually graced a letter that I received through the post!

By the way, Julian, I would love it if Germany would issue a Kraftwerk stamp (note singular, not plural). But 'unfortunately' Deutsche Post doesn't go in for this kind of thing due to their continued commitment in showing mainly Deutsche Kulture and history on its stamp issues as opposed to RMs commitment to mass popular culture !

Edited By Alex on 09/03/2017 20:17:35

Carmen10/03/2017 12:25:00
650 forum posts
61 photos

Yes Canada Post has also started to get into pop culture with its own series of Canadian stars of both pop, rock, folk and opera etc. Nice to see, actually.

Our own Bryans Adams has actually made it into their catalogue twice, for two separate reasons, the second time on his own merits as one of Canada's great Rock exports in 2009:

bryan adams.jpg

But back in 2003, he was honoured for his talent as an amateur photographer when one of his portraits of the Queen was chosen as her definitive for that year. It was again chosen in 2004 with a new colour for the price change to 50c (by the way, this one here was actually made up of six different colours for security reason):

adams - qeii.jpg

I like the picture - it shows that great smile the Queen has been blessed with. It was taken during a "5-minutes-per photographer" photo-op that photographers were given at Buckingham Palace.

Who says all rock stars can do is make noise? Of course, if you think that, may I also refer you to Dr. Brian May, Astrophysicist?

cool

Alex10/03/2017 12:46:59
583 forum posts
13 photos

The USPS has a long running series on American music, from C&W to R&R, though they usually issue a single stamp.

As far as I remember, the USPS has, for example, only issued two Elvis Presley stamps. Again this makes RM philatelic output look like the output of a central African country!

You may be interested that Deutsche Post had issued a R&R set way back in 1988.

lthen18590.jpg

l

Julian10/03/2017 16:00:46
635 forum posts
261 photos

Bryan Adams and the greatest song since Queen and Bohemian Rhapsody, Everything I do, I do it for you!

One of the greatest loves songs ever that actually moved men to sing it and appreciate it, is indeed an achievement. Music is how religion should be and is, if we don't but know it, a progressive learning.

I think the Queen stamp shows her as a mother for some reason and that smile is genuine, would like to know what he did to get that smile, its not "Cheeeseee"!!! However, wearing a hat in doors is odd?

Lol you are more than welcome to refer us to Mr May and will skip by that unless hes on an Astronomy stamp for some reason!

@ Alex that has to best comment in stamp Magazine since I been here, I have not laughed so much, way to funny

"Again this makes RM philatelic output look like the output of a central African country!"

That truly desrerves to be a post cancel mark.................

But in saying that, I actually love that post cancel on those stamps more than the stamps themselves. Whilst I wonder how many people take notice of the back grounds to each artist stamp into account and this would be worthy of a design verdict!!!

Carmen11/03/2017 13:59:04
650 forum posts
61 photos

Actually, Julian, the pic was taken on the outside of the palace against one of the walls, maybe under a portico?

You're right, that remark of Alex's is hilarious!

Julian11/03/2017 20:30:29
635 forum posts
261 photos

Now Minxy, are you trying to bamboozle me, that looks very internal wall rather than external but I take your word for itangel

Carmen12/03/2017 12:02:35
650 forum posts
61 photos

Oh no sir, I wouldn't DARE! laugh

From the Canadian Postal Archives: " In a quick, five-minute photo opportunity outside Buckingham Palace during the Queen's Golden Jubilee year, Adams took this informal portrait".

Julian12/03/2017 18:05:38
635 forum posts
261 photos

Psst Carmen, I let you into a little secret, you know why the Queen was smiling???? He was wearing dainty fiscals and she'd never seen her head in such positions?????? wink

Carmen15/03/2017 11:37:40
650 forum posts
61 photos

Oh Julian, you're BAD! devil

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers