Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

Mr Men & Little Miss

Mr Men & Little Miss

Issued on October 20, 2016

Julian29/10/2016 20:07:42
785 forum posts
364 photos

Now come on in this months article??? Who did the verdict scores??? Obviously not a kid ha ha ha.

Commemorative worth: has to be a 5 anything to get kids interested in something which does not involve looking as a screen Hut Humm.....

Quality of Design: has to be a 5, i met most of the Miss ones in varied periods of growing up.

I have actually been most the Mr as well.

Wow Factor: Now come on would you not like to see one of these on your mail ???

You know. in the days when you sat at breakfast table and the mail came before dad went to work????? I only know this fact because I have been told by the way......

Alex30/10/2016 11:10:09
610 forum posts
13 photos

I don't like these stamps / labels, they're a lazy and uninspired design done cheaply. I confess that I do not have a childhood connection with these characters as I did not grow up in the United Kingdom, though I reside here nowadays.

Here are some recent USPS stamps showing characters that I did grow up with. While there are different characters from different cartoon series, the whole design package works, for me, much better.

US cartoons

So, no, I won't be looking forwards to seeing them on my mail. I really don't think that British children will jump for joy on seeing these stamps unless they're very young. Most children begin to collect things from 9 - 10 years onwards, so really these would be too childish for them by that age. They will be mostly bought by grandfathers for their grandchildren, only to be put away after grandfather leaves again and forgotten about. RM is taking you folk for a ride, I'm afraid.

Julian30/10/2016 13:50:20
785 forum posts
364 photos

Wow Alex, I only know one of yours and that's Garfield!

To be honest with you, I would never buy a stamp pack and I was just about to give my reasons why and I cannot do so because I buy stamp sheets, which in a sense is the same thing in principle?

From an adults point of view I sort of have to agree with your sentiment in thinking, as per the other thread about British stamp collecting views.

This is the problem with stamp collecting and themes, the only people who really gain out of this are the people who are paid huge sums of money to design, print and package them. It matters not to the Royal Mail what happens and I am sure they would like to stick to the queens head if known.

But I do know that the girls at my Post Office love seeing the stamps I use on letters and packages because they are old and the difference in variety, so there are aspects of stamps that are just admired and take us back in time.

For me and my theme it has be one learning curve and yes how stamp collecting has moved on. With such diversity your options are endless but in a funny way this is whats killing stamp collecting I feel.

PRICES

Set of 10 stamps £6.40

Presentation pack £6.90

Stamp cards £4.50

First day cover £8.10

First day cover (limited edition) £14.99

With regard to prices why chose 1st class because its the most expensive? You could produce a set on lesser valued stamps and keep it affordable for kids.

The Royal Mail produce or have the facility to now make your own stamp label for the same money which I feel is a much better idea and would make a suitable present or stocking filler, with the added bonus they can be used.

With picture taking now nearly all digital now, its a good marketing ploy but do you see this other than on the Royal Mail web site?

I do not know much about stamp packs are they brought out every month or what? They seem to be a regular feature and monthly so if we add the prices up over a year what child is going to spend that, indeed what adult would?

I assume as they state are available in set-tenent strips, you have to ask specifically and come from sheets as per lesser denomination stamps. But more than just a stamp they are trying to be innovative with information which provide facts otherwise known. So I do believe we have to look at a different angle of their marketing, in fact the next time I buy first class stamps I will make a point of asking for them?

I can honestly say the only time I am asked about what type of stamps I want is at Christmas issues. If the Post Office used the different types regularly who knows what may come of it as I wonder how many people know you can get them?!!

To be frank, I did not know they brought out these issues other than in stamp packs and I been a member of this site now for a good few months? Its never even entered my head?! So you have to ask yourself just why do the Royal Mail do it, again it would be interesting what cost is actually gained through sales to the expense of producing it all??

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Auctioneers Feltzmann
Universal Philatelic Auctions
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values