Watermarks

How to

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Julian21/09/2016 11:59:45
626 forum posts
261 photos

Can someone explain to me how to assess a watermarkquestion

Do I look at the stamp from the front or from the reverse to attain correct image.

Obviously if you turn the stamp around it will create a wrong image, so I am taking it there is a correct way to view the stamp. I find it is much easier to view from the rear of the stamp than through the print side but without knowing which way you should view it, I am a bit lostfrown

I am guessing from what I have read about watermarks, its the hard way, which is through the printed side of the stampquestion

Paul Davey 121/09/2016 20:09:57
380 forum posts
26 photos

Look at it from reverse and do the mirror image mentally. Most catalogues show it, as seen from the front of the stamp. A few do the reverse (pun intended!) so check the introductory paragraphs.

To differentiate between watermarks is usually not too difficult. There are various gadgets to help, there have been a couple of threads discussing this topic so a search should help.

More difficult are the paper-makers watermarks found on some issues. Most normal watermarks which acted as security devices were designed to appear on every stamp. Those from the manufacturer only once per sheet. To be fair these are more unusual but highly collected. A Large Dragon of China with Papermaker's watermark is a real premium item!

Good luck....

Julian23/09/2016 13:04:41
626 forum posts
261 photos

Hi Paul,

Yes this is why I do not think I want to get involved with watermarks but it was interesting in the Stanley Gibbons book I have just got hold of, that it states W w 14 (sideways)106, which I assumed means watermark I could not see any info in the description pages as to what this means.

Anyway I got this particular stamp sheet out and held it to the light and indeed there is a watermark but like Geoff's Cancel Marks, I can already hear the words (there's another, book / list) with these marks in question for reference as there is also a number. Again I assume this number is the identity of the watermark This particular one has a crown and CA which I again assume is Crown Agents.

To be honest my brain does not work to well and I am having enough trouble working out this Guyana issue, its a Royal PAIN in the butt angry

It really is a joke as you really have to understand a lot of the stamp terminology to get to grips with this set. Also I am pleased to say or not depending on how you view the subject I have found that there are more stamps which are not listed in the SG simplifieds catalogues. This means I would have to buy the whole lot of their catalogues to have a good idea, what is out there and indeed searching Ebay as these stamps have no bearing or indication to Diana.

So for instance if you do a search "Princess Diana Royal Wedding" these stamps would not come up as they appear within sets which have no bearing on Diana.

I do know that one of the American Stamp society's have a reference list of 643 stamps, its going to cost money but as trying to find willing information which just does not seem to come forth about Diana stamps or FDC's I think it might be worth me joining this society and paying for the list. I would then hope this would be a good base for helping me look.

Also this would I again hope will give me a good idea what Cinderella's are out there when I see them.

But of course we have "Private Issues" and I beleive "Local Issues" which are not covered by SG so it really is a nightmare to know what is valid.

The thing is putting a value on these issues. I do not mind buying them for the theme but now I have been made aware of the facts, its tainted my view upon them and what do I consider a fair pricequestion

Admittedly could I bother to find an image of Diana, put it on paper as "Imperf" and replicate a stamp and as I have said even add perforations be it poorly smiley. The answer would be no. I am laughing while I write this because it is so funny how something can make you feel, even when you explain it as I just have crook.

I think my view on collecting on Diana in stamps is waning as I previously have said as certain countries just continue to produce more and more as the years go on, in Birthday and Memorial issues. These sheets command high prices but if you do not know what is valid issue, how do you know that your not being ripped off. At least with collecting GB sets the stamps are what they are worth, where as something from lets say Guyana, who is to know what they are worth in realityquestion

With watermarks though, as you said on another thread, is it worth worrying about anyway, on this occasion I am glad I looked rather than buying lighter fuel or any of the paraphernalia needed to assess them. With older stamps I can see or grasp the reason I think.

Thanks for your reply as always.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers