By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Carmen

Here is a list of all the postings Carmen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Maltese watermark question
30/06/2018 12:34:14

Thanks Paul! Oddly enough, I came across that same article as well as I was looking around! Great minds googling alike, I guess!

Oh well, that magnificent (usually short-lived) moment when you think you've hit a small jackpot (I don't mean financially, I mean as a collector) is WHY I collect stamps! I love it!

This has happened to me once before: I had just opened up a new issue of Stamp Mag (when I still received the paper edition), and there, on the cover of an auction company's catalogue, was the same type of Russian stamp I had only just seen as I sorted through an envelope of stamps given to me by some friends. Obviously, auction catalogues will tend to feature their more valuable/rare upcoming offerings on the cover.

So in the time it took to do the 30-foot walk to get to my office (where my catalogue was) from the TV room, THE WORLD WAS MY OYSTER, ya know?

Of course, it was then that I found out that, rather than owning a rare stamp worth thousands of dollars... I had one of the regular ones valued at about 25 cents. D'OH! cheeky

Anyone else have such a story to tell?

29/06/2018 12:22:42

Okay thanks Paul. Unfortunately, the other answer I've received is "yes it is."

So to sum up my survey so far : "No it isn't." "Yes it is." LOL!

Well so be it, my research will continue... although I'm tending to agree with you... either way, this is the fun part of collecting stamps isn't it?! laugh The Sherlock Holmes-like detective work!

27/06/2018 12:50:00

Okay kids, take a look at the picture below of the watermark on this 1956 Maltese stamp (Scott 252 - 3p King's Scroll) - there is a little shadowing, but you should be able to see (according to Scott), Watermark 4 (crown with CA underneath it):

malta 252.jpg

As you can see though, in my case, that watermark seems to be inverted (i.e. the CA is backwards) According to my Stamp Software, this would be Scott 252_1, watermark 4 inverted, which is worth considerably more than 252 (relatively speaking I mean - I'm not about to buy myself a plane and go over there and take you all for lunch or anything!) cheeky

QUESTION; I did this correctly, right? It wouldn't be considered "inverted" only if I was looking at it through the FRONT of the stamp, yes? In other words, if the correct watermark were pictured here, I would see CA properly in this picture, yes?

Thanks for your input!

Thread: GB Illustrated Special Event Covers & Handstamp Postmarks
18/06/2018 13:22:53

Ah, and with a stamp design by Howard Brown, who features in this month's Stamp Mag! smiley

Thread: Gastronomy Stamp
18/06/2018 13:20:14

Hey Jefferson, thanks! There are some beautiful stamps there!

May I also recommend, from Canada Post:

• The 2006 Wine and Cheese series (4 stamps made to look like wine bottle and cheese labels (Scott #2168-71)
  • The 2007 Art by Mary Pratt Series - Jelly Shelf (I swear I could dip a spoon into one of the jars and spread it on toast! Scott #2211)

Bon appetit! laugh

Thread: A new method for self-adhesive stamp removal...
03/06/2018 13:12:48

Yeah, I wonder what process various countries use? Coincidentally, I'm just reading that article on Butterfly house (Samuel Jones & Co., which provided paper for the world's first self-adhesives) in the June edition of the mag... so does anyone in the fora have a copy of the Sierra Leone stamp they mention as being the first self-adhesive? I don't but will certainly try to obtain a mint one at some point - they're not expensive!

21/05/2018 11:53:34

How apropos on my birthday, a cover about My Favouritest Sport EVER! cakegift GO ENGLAND!

Edited By Carmen on 21/05/2018 11:53:52

03/05/2018 13:10:54

25000 images... that's wild!

So at this point do you have a cover for each day of the year or do you still have any missing dates?

01/05/2018 12:07:44

Yup... definitely "your mileage may vary"!

Just curious - what country were the self adhesives from? Could it be some countries are using a nastier adhesive than others?

Thread: What do you collect?
22/04/2018 12:43:40

Welcome Bruno! As for your Wallet's Despair, WE HEAR YA!

smiley

22/04/2018 12:41:36

Great Bruno! Let us know your results as well. As I say I did my first experiment with some current stamps so I didn't really care what the result was... and it was great!

Thread: New Issue Lists
22/04/2018 12:39:43

Yes... I think I read somewhere that the gentleman who used to do it has passed away and there is no one else to do it.

Thread: Phosphor Bands
16/04/2018 11:26:27

Indeed Trevor, there are some magnificent engraved stamps out there. I used to especially enjoy the stuff issued by the Soviet Union (and all the other Communist countries). Some of it was magnificent, even if it proved my point about Communist Hypocrisy: "We refute capitalism by issuing stamps with the sole purpose of getting rich off stamp collectors."

laugh

I remember showing some to a friend of ours who was born in Russia and came to Canada as a teen... she laughed and said "Nope! I don't think any of US ever saw or used those!"

Thread: American railway postal history
07/04/2018 22:22:26

Love that top one, Alex. A beautiful illustration of the progression of the sport, as it were.

Thread: Oh man, Carmen is PUMPED!
06/04/2018 12:46:00

Well folks, it REALLY don't take much to excite the children.

Here's what happens when you and the husband pay off the mortgage a few years earlier than expected:

uk - great britain 1 - purch 06 mar 18 - ez stamp pic.jpg

That's right people... you get to knock an item of your Philatelic Bucket list, in this case, by purchasing a beautiful 1840 GB #1 Penny Black, complete with certificate of authenticity, by spending the following mortgage payment that would have come out on it.

WAAAAA-HOOOOOOOOO!

By the way, in order to remember the bottom plate letters (and I didn't pick 'em or anything) and since I'm a French Canadian, EH stands for "Eliminer l'Hypotheque"! ("Get rid of the mortgage!"

Now for the next item on my list... a Treskilling Yellow... LOL! wink

Actually no, my next item will be a Canada #1 Red Beaver stamp.

Thread: Subscription query
05/04/2018 17:48:28

I could be wrong but I was under the impression that was only available to people living in Great Britain...

04/04/2018 12:21:36

Well cool Trevor, thanks! I do have a lot of them but I must admit it's not a particular interest of mine, although I never cease to be impressed by all the colours they come up with!

04/04/2018 12:19:15

Well thanks, Geoff... he certainly has helped your collection!

03/04/2018 12:35:40

Hey Geoff, another item of curiosity - I see many of these covers were sent to a Mr. F. Harwood - friend? Relative? No one you know?

03/04/2018 12:27:32

Huh... I'm not a devotee of Machins: what's the "Machin bible"? Just curious! smiley

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values