By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Carmen

Here is a list of all the postings Carmen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Stamp Cataloguing Software
13/07/2011 12:35:10

Hey folks! When I got back into stamp collecting, one of the things I did was... (gulp! ) buy a packet of 5000 worldwide stamps to start playing with ( a great deal since I essentially got them all for 2 cents a stamp!)

Because of the sheer size of my new inventory, one of the things I decided to invest in was stamp cataloguing software, in my case, EZ Stamp.Although it was quite an expensive initial outlay of cash, it has been worth every penny, because this guy essentially does all the work for you. All I have to do is open a country, enter the Scott # and watch the high quality picture and info appear. I then add what I paid for it. Done. His customer service is excellent as well and I usually get prompt replies to any e-mails I send out.

In my case I opted to buy the entire worldwide DVD, but will only update it with the Canada updates every year since those are essentially the only new stamps I buy anyway which will keep the cost down.

So, does anyone else in the fora use software for cataloguing their inventory? Is it specific for stamps...? An excel database...? A paper notebook...?

Thread: Stamps on Approval
13/07/2011 12:24:09

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm one of those who got into stamp collecting in my teens and then gave it up and have come back to it in the last few years (I'm 45).

So one of the things that I was, quite frankly, SHOCKED to find out still exists in this day and age of general dishonesty and lack of respect, is the whole concept of getting stamps "on approval"... wow! I thought for sure that any company still doing that would have a policy of "Sure! You pay first... and we'll send 'em to ya!"

But no...! And as a result, I personally am a client of a great company right here in Canada, Arpin Philately, situated near Montreal. These folks are great... they assign a staff member to each client so you're always dealing with the same person, and, to put it bluntly, my every wish is their command... I have told them what my interests are and my spending limit and each month they send me a great selection of what I like, but if I want to change it up (this month, just for the fun of it I've asked only for a selection of stamps on stamps!) no problem. And yesterday I e-mailed them to inquire whether the annual refill had arrived for my album, and before I know it, I get a notice from Canada Post that a package is on its way to me from them. Very cool... an oustanding business! I recommend them to anyone in Canada (or anywhere else!) who may be looking for such a service.

So what about folks here in the fora? Is anyone else a fan of stamps on approval? Have you had the same great experience I have? Does anyone else get that "woohoo! My day just improved ten-fold!" feeling when they open their mailbox and see the company's logo on an envelope?!

Edited By CGOD on 13/07/2011 12:39:47

Thread: Attched stamps vs. separating them
13/07/2011 12:11:31

Yoo hoo! Anyone theeeeeere?! I just realized I have had no reply to this yet... so in the vein of Ferris Bueller's Day Off...

Anyoooooone... Anyoooooone...?

Thread: Horrifying hinging method...
13/07/2011 12:08:38

Nothing too radical or unexpected... my older brother, whose collection I inherited as a teenager when he gave it up, had simply licked and stuck his MNH stamps to his Harris Traveller album pages. Of course, we were kids back then and no one in our family had ever collected stamps so we didn't know any better.

That was one of the things I was really fascinated by as I got back into collecting a few years ago (I'm 45)... Catalogs?! Cataloguing software?! Watermarks?!

Cool! I've been having a blast ever since!

Thread: Does learning new things give you a buzz?
29/06/2011 16:56:02

Ooooh Julia DON'T DO THAT TO ME... now I have to wait... and wait...!

Thread: Attched stamps vs. separating them
26/06/2011 12:44:32

Hey folks... some insights please! I was just going through some uncatalogued stamps the other day and noticed that I have se-tenant MNH Monaco #s J40 and J49. A couple of pretty stamps.

When it comes to the maintaining the value of these types of stamps... what are generally the rules?

i.e. MNH kept together = higher value but, used kept together makes no difference?

Thanks!

Edited By CGOD on 26/06/2011 12:44:55

Thread: What do you collect?
26/06/2011 01:51:26

Oh yeah, and I forgot... stamps on stamps!

Thread: Does learning new things give you a buzz?
25/06/2011 15:35:21

I LOVE the fact that stamp collecting allows me to learn new things on a wide variety of subjects. iI's one of the reasons I so enjoy Stamp Mag's "Strange but True" feature every month. I am considered quite a good storyteller and will often regale my non stamp-collecting friends with the stories I read there and even they admit it's all very interesting stuff.

I think my favourite story in particular is the scandal caused by New Brunswick's own 1860 Charles Connell stamp issue. I always use that story when providing a definition of "hubris"!

Now, if you don't know what I'm talking about, you'll just have to go look it up... SO YOU CAN LEARN SOMETHING NEW!! :-0

Thread: What do you collect?
25/06/2011 15:27:26

Hey! great to be a newbie in the fora!

I collect Canada, Cats, Ocean Liners, Religion, and Royalty.

Thread: TITANIC CENTENARY 2012
25/06/2011 15:24:12

Well as an Ocean Liner stamp collector, and a Titanic buff, I sure HOPE they do... please please please?!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values