By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Carmen

Here is a list of all the postings Carmen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: I attended the Kingston Stamp Show...
24/10/2021 12:18:49

... in Kingston, Ontario, Canada, that is, which is the beautiful small city where I have lived for 25 years, and whose stamp club show took place yesterday for the first time in 18 months (PS. having lived in England for four years as a child, I also fondly remember YOUR Kingston, from shopping at Bentall's with my mum, where I would get to buy one of Enid Blyton's "Secret Seven" book!

To begin with, I have renamed that day Stamp Day forever more as everything I did revolved around my hobby (and that's what I'll do from now on!):

My day began at home cataloguing the last of some Cambodia stamps so I could bring an up-to-date Want List to perhaps complete some topical series I have in there with Cats and Soccer. I also printed out a list of older Canadian stamps under $10 that I do not yet own. My spending limit for the day, I reassured my poor husband, was $100.

From there I moved to Smitty's, a local restaurant which has seen their fair share of me over the years ( I usually go do some of my office work over there, and eat breakfast once every week or two). This time it was steak and eggs for the Poor Crazy Lady Who Collects Stamps of All Things (Woohoo! I have a gift certificate my church gave me to celebrate my 15th anniversary working for them back in September), while finishing reading November's Stamp Mag issue - my favourite feature has always been Strange But True, right at the end, and this month it was most entertaining, yes? Communism, man...

Then off to the show. Here's what I walked away with (pictures at the end), a good variety of stamps, equipment and literature:

• A "Then & Now Series" history of Rowland Hill and the post Office, to add to my (small) postal literature library ($3.00!)
  • Two United Nations First Day Cover Albums containing 109 FDCs from both New York and Europe ($15.00!)
  • A pristine, never-used blank Gibbons Senator Album which will now become the central repository for My Very Favourite Stamps (so they're all in one place rather than scattered among the various countries that issued them. ($35.00 - I'd be curious to learn more about this album, when it was printed and published... I didn't see anything on their website)
  • Various and sundry stamps and sheets representing my other topical interests (Royalty, Titanic...) ($30.00)
  • A can of Pure Citrus Orange air freshener, widely acknowledged to be the BEST way to remove self-adhesive stamps, and which the seller picked up in the States as it's not sold in Canada (15.00)
  • That's right, i had $5 left when I left! #ProudAndThrifty

Stamp Day continued in my car and on my walk as I listened to various stamp-related podcasts (Our Dad's Stamps' latest, and Stamp Show Here Today).

So all in all, a perfect day for the Stamp Collector in me!

Now to catalogue that stuff as well. G'Bye!

kingston stamp show 2021 2.jpg

kingston stamp show 2021 1.jpg

Thread: Podcast
23/10/2021 11:49:08

Yes, was just listening to Episode 11 yesterday... on a related note, today is Kingston Stamp Show day here in town, the first in two years and I can actually GO (I had something else scheduled but it got cancelled! Woohoo! More to follow on that... and all the Unnecessary Trashy Buying I will have done! #HoardingOnATinyScale laugh

Thread: GB Illustrated Special Event Covers & Handstamp Postmarks
20/10/2021 11:50:23

Hey Geoff, can I tell ya, I love seeing these things every day, if only to send me running over to Britannica.com to find out what the Domesday Book is, exactly, since I've only ever heard the name.

Thanks! I'll forever refer to our census and tax forms as "Doomsday Papers" from now on! laugh

Thread: England/Scotland etc. stamps within GB?
15/10/2021 12:01:56

No probs, Fred, it's on its way, along with a random treskilling yellow I have in my collection that I'm not using...

wink

14/10/2021 13:07:01

Well thanks Fred! I'd forgotten just how useful Wikipedia has become over the years, although I won't hesitate to check it for basic stuff like "Annie Leibovitz" when I'm online reading a news item or something.

Thanks!

14/10/2021 12:41:43

Hey guys, just curious on some history here: when did GB stamps start to print "England" stamps, and "Scotland" stamps and whatnot (i.e. the Machins with the symbols in the corner for example)

Questions for the group:

1. Are there any others (than the Machins) where this is done?
  2. Why was it done, to begin with?

Thanks!

Thread: The Stampworld catalog
12/10/2021 11:34:16

Gotcha Neil, thanks for the info. Yes, it makes sense that most cultures would have some sort of "harvest festival".

Well then, Happy Random Harvest Festival to you all! laugh

Thread: GB Illustrated Special Event Covers & Handstamp Postmarks
12/10/2021 11:31:51

Cool. Jeremy Brett was definitely my favourite... till I saw Benedict Cumberbatch and his fabulous take on The Great Detective.

I've just subscribed to the BritBox streaming service though, and look forward to once again enjoying Mr. Brett's work!

Thread: The Stampworld catalog
11/10/2021 12:05:13

Hey folks! So in his podcast Pete mentioned the free catalog available at STAMPWORLD.

I have now taken advantage of their free registration and wow... what a GREAT resource. I highly recommend it.

Of course the one disadvantage of it is that it doesn't show the Scott catalog numbers I use, but hey, who's complaining?

Walk, don't run, people!

And on a side note, a very happy (Canadian) Thanksgiving! I for one am very grateful for all the people around this forum, anyway!

I was curious: I know the US has a Thanksgiving celebration of course, but does Great Britain have a similar feast or an equivalent of it? What time of the year does it occur? I can't remember from my time there... and if yes, has it been commemorated in stamps?

10/10/2021 11:23:24

Super. Thanks Pete!

09/10/2021 12:58:48

Hey Pete! What's that free stamp catalogue online database you mentioned in your essential equipment pt 2 podcast again? Can you post a link here? Thanks!

Thread: oh dear oh dear
04/10/2021 12:12:11

Good point Fred, a bit like our local Chapters bookstore where, in the past at least, if you waited long enough, the book that sold for $35.00-40.00 when it came out would find its way to the Cheapie Section - you have no idea how many great hardcover books I found there over the years that cost me 5-10.00 each, maybe.

All good things come to those who wait.

03/10/2021 11:07:21

I completely agree, Andrew! At least when Canada issued Start Trek Stamps, we can boast William Shatner and James Doohan... and Vulcan. Alberta! wink

Thread: Mounting Stamps
27/09/2021 11:12:36

Hey Gillian, glad you came up with a solution... when I said "too much room", I actually meant that I have some of those sheets that are too large or wide to fit on an 8 1/2 x 11 page well, which are my album pages, so that's when the folding occurs...

When they do fit though, I will usually used photo corners for those kinds of things.

Thread: Some stuff I've been up to, and upcoming...
23/09/2021 11:26:26

Yeah, I am certainly hopeful for continued recovery here in Canada, even if there will be ethics discussions on how this whole pandemic was dealt with for years to come.

22/09/2021 12:31:11

HEY ALL, TWO YEARS LATER... thanks for the tip, Billy! laugh

By the way, Paul, I noticed you had replied this to one of my posts:

"Next big show here in Europe is Stockholm next week, which should be good. Can't afford to go to Wuhan in China the month after too though!"

In view of what we've been through the past year and half, AREN'T YA GLAD YOU DIDN'T GO TO WUHAN?! oH myyyyy...

Thread: Advice needed
22/09/2021 12:11:05

HI again Kirsty... this is what I love about stamp collecting... that sudden find where you think, "Oh my goodness... could this possibly be...?!"

I once was sorting through some old Russian stamps... and off to the side of my table I had a stamp magazine with an ad on the back of it showing a company's upcoming auction catalogue, and there, on the catalogue's front cover, up for sale, was a stamp just like the one I had just found.

So I walked into my office to get my catalogue. Checking the entry, I found out that indeed there were two types of this stamp, one VERY valuable (in the thousands of dollars, hence its appearance on the cover of this auction catalogue), the other, which I had... worth about 40 cents.

Sigh....

But WHAT FUN! During those 25 feet from my TV room to my office, THE WORLD WAS MY STAMP COLLECTING OYSTER, FULL OF POSSIBILITIES! What would I do with my newfound stamp if it was one of those?! Keep it?! Sell it and buy a yacht?! laugh

This is why I'm a stamp collector. Keep going... you never know what you'll find (although in fairness, don't get your hopes up TOO high, LOL!)

Thread: Take mint out of sets or not
19/09/2021 13:28:56

Great idea as well, Alex!

Kevin, I remember reading a story once about a topical collector so specific that he only collected stamps with cows-pointing-to-the-left or something like that! I could see him adopting Alex's system: cows to the left on the left page, cows to the right on the right page!

19/09/2021 11:56:09

Hi Kevin! Welcome to the Fora!

Can't speak for anybody else, but my advice would be: do what YOU like! As a matter of course, my own stamps are all generally catalogued and stored by country, although I am also a topical collector.

Sooooooooo... I use electronic stamp cataloguing software that allows me to do both (I inventory them in each country but then assign categories to them for searching and topical collecting) and then I can print reports along whatever lines I need, so that, should I ever want to create a separate display of my soccer (ooops... FOOTBALL! Go Liverpool! laugh) or Titanic stamps, for instance, it would be quite easy for me to find them and then put them together in a separate album, for instance.

That's the fun part of collecting stamps - anything goes!

Now the advantage of keeping them all together is to allow the viewer to see all of 'em... for example, Machin stamps have been designed in so many colours over the years that putting them all together creates a bright, striking picture on the page, whether they're used or new!

See?! Anything goes!

Anyone else have thoughts?

18/09/2021 13:10:00

Oh riiiiight! The infamous, "WHAT?! I breached copyright? WRONG STATUE?!" story, LOL!

My other particular favourite recent one, though not an error so much as a Grave Mistake was when Thailand issued stamps all about favourite famous regional food dishes, only to find out that a bunch of them are made using animals on the Endangered Species List! THAT went over with the animal preservation groups...

#OopsMyBad

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Auctioneers Feltzmann
Guernsey post November
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE