By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Carmen

Here is a list of all the postings Carmen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What happens when you soak a stamp off a red envelope!
27/10/2018 12:22:04

Well, when it comes to Sneaky Ideas, I've got all sorts of 'em, Giliian! Fortunately for me, I work for a church, where honesty really IS the best policy!

Apparently there's a new film coming out with Melissa McCarthy about the 90s and this woman who went around defrauding collectors of letters by Hollywood stars etc. It's called Can You Ever Forgive Me? about biographer Lee Israel. It looks quite interesting.

Thread: Off to my VERY FIRST Stamp Show...
25/10/2018 12:12:48

Indeed I did, Geoff... It was a blast!

First they had a stamp show souvenir envelope at the entrance for $2... of course I had to buy one of those... and there were 8 dealers there, and the club had a consignment display ("don't go there if you're trying not to spend money", says the guy at the entrance. So of course, that's the first thing we did! wink)

Got some good loot for my trouble:

- a beautiful 1979 Sir Rowland Hill commemorative album (100 years since his death) including related stamps from GB, Ireland, and the New Hebrides (French and English) for $10

- the 1989 French Declaration of the Rights of Man S/S with a complimentary sponsorship ticket for PhilexFrance '89

- Some Tongan banana and coconut stamps, which I've always wanted to get

- some Tongan commemorative Tin Can Mail stamps I got to tell my friend all about Tin Can Mail, which she had never heard of)

- some Tongan World Cup '82 stamps

- a US sheet showing the various US Postal Service functions (sorting, delivery etc.)

All in all a good haul for less than fifty bucks. Unfortunately I could only be there for a couple of hours so I have promised myself to stay longer next year...

And of course there were several frames around, including a cute one by a six year old girl showing us her favourite stamps, and one by someone who has collected mail addressed to famous people.

Woohoo... that was FUN! My friend who also collects and had never been either also had a great time and brought home some loot to play with.

And then we found out, the club puts on a Spring show too... wheeeeeeeeee! yeslaugh

20/10/2018 14:02:35
... right here in Kingston, Ontario! Will report back later!

Woohoo! 👍
16/10/2018 10:55:03

Indeed... I can just imagine some guy somewhere in his grave in Sweden thinking, "what's all this nonsense I hear about a rarity called a 'Treskilling Yellow'? All I did was soak it off that bright yellow envelope that card was sent to me in..."

wink

Wait... maybe you should try to sell it for millions as a "rare South African 30c Pink"! laugh

Edited By Carmen on 16/10/2018 10:56:33

Thread: GB Illustrated Special Event Covers & Handstamp Postmarks
12/10/2018 11:14:58

Hey Geoff so I see quite a few items lately have that lovely distinctive "First day of issue" graphic on the left... just curious as to what do you might know about it?

26/09/2018 11:50:16

Oh for sure folks... the only way to do that is individually and if the stamp has any kind of value... leave it alone... sigh. cheeky

Thread: Anyone been to STAMPEX?
22/09/2018 12:44:38

Well I'm in Canada so wasn't there. BUT I am looking forward to my very first (I've been living here 22 years!) Kingston Stamp Show in October - not only my first Kingston one, but my very first stamp show of any kind... You really can teach an old dog new tricks!

I'll be going with a good friend of mine who I just found out also likes to collect stamps... woohoo! It's going to be a good time, although I'm assuming that it will be a relatively small show (although Kingston is halfway between Ottawa and Toronto so who knows if some people will also have made their way here from those areas?)

I'll let you all know what was there...

Thread: A mystery 3 c Canada stamp I cannot identify
18/09/2018 11:35:39

My database (which is currently up to date) has it from about 25c for Used-Very Good to $1.69 for MNH-XF.

Thread: What do you collect?
18/09/2018 11:29:18

Welcome Phil! While I don't collect sheets (and certainly none of the size you've mentioned), I have had some larger stuff come into my collection over the years, and added it with pleasure (like you, anything goes... I'm no stamp snob, let me tell ya!)

Mostly it has been random things I found that have no real value but look great... one of my larger ones is a sheet containing paintings of all the kings and queens of England for one of the UAE countries, and most recently, a cool print (that was meant to be framed) from the UK, commemorating Charles Dickens' life, and including Scott 620a - 1970 Literary Anniversaries Series.

Thread: German inflation overprint
13/09/2018 10:28:24

Oops, Lee! You forgot to attach the picture!

Thread: Thematic Collecting protocols - for omnibus issues
11/09/2018 12:08:15

Yes Paul, when it comes to stamp collecting, anything goes... whatever encourages anyone to collect stamps is fine by me! Let no Stamp Snob discourage you! (Not that we have any of those in this forum... it's one of the reasons I love it!)

In fact, I found out a friend of mine is now collecting stamps, and one day, I suggested to her that one of her thematic interests might be to collect stamps with her favourite colour of hot pink in them! I thought of that as I was cataloguing a 2p beautiful hot-pink-coloured Machin.

As for me, one thematic collection I intend to pursue is how I came to be living in Kingston, Ontario for the last 22 years, through stamps (i.e. my military husband was posted here <insert appropriate military stamp>; for a while I worked for the Royal Military College of Canada <insert Canadian RMC commemorative stamp> blah blah blah

Have fun!

Thread: Thunderbirds stamps
30/08/2018 13:22:36

Well I don't carry a purse as a matter of habit, but what goes on in my house is this: my husband will walk in and hand me some random stamp, muttering (with some asperity), "Here I found this under dining room table... the sofa... the TV..." laugh

24/08/2018 11:32:38

Well everyone knows that a woman's purse is a Deep Well of Mysteries... I wonder if some poor unsuspecting woman has a Treskilling Yellow in there somewhere... along with a toy car and a single sock and half-used lipstick...

wink

Thread: Website with philatelic errors
22/08/2018 12:53:17

Hey thanks for that Howard. I'll go have a look!

Thread: GB Illustrated Special Event Covers & Handstamp Postmarks
05/08/2018 13:28:05

Welcome back Geoff! Hope you had a good rest, or were able to obtain yet MORE first day covers! laugh

Thread: September 2018's Talking Point article
04/08/2018 18:26:25

Hey so I was just reading the interesting Talking Point article about it being difficult to find out about new postal issues, and thought I would chime in and hopefully, some collectors here have some answers

Here in Canada, Canada Post issues a magazine every two months, called Details. The current edition (and all of them going back to 2008) are available for download as PDFs here. The magazine will cover upcoming issues, their choice and design, as well as stamp details such as printers, papers etc.

So my question is, does anyone know if other postal authorities provide such a service? (I suspect, in view of the Talking Point article, that the answer may be no... laugh but I thought I'd ask.)

If yes, and the resource is available electronically, please provide a link for the rest of us...

THANKS! #andgo

Thread: Help getting started with inherited stamp collection
04/08/2018 15:06:18

Yes, welcome to the Fora, Rachel... hopefully this will be the beginning of a new adventure in Hoarding on a Tiny Scale (which is how I refer to Stamp Collecting! laugh)

Thread: Free Machin Album to download
03/08/2018 12:35:01

What a great thing to do, Clive! Not something I personally can use, but it's nice that people are willing to help others in their collecting obsessions... er... I mean... interests.

laugh

Thread: Philatelic Christmas presents
30/07/2018 12:47:27

Well can't speak for you Gillian, but certainly I'm now at an age (52!) when my mind isn't jogged, and it's only been a week since I saw someone! LOL! Sigh...

Thread: Can anyone identify this stamp?
30/07/2018 12:43:14

Yes. Yes he is. laugh

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers