By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Carmen

Here is a list of all the postings Carmen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cancelled mint stamps
29/01/2019 12:41:55

I am a nutsy stamp collector, period, so I have no issues at all with collecting CTO - I do find them an interesting glance at history, i.e. Communist countries, decrying the Evil Capitalists by making a lot of money off the stamp collectors, for instance... disgust Not only would they sell surplus stock, they would print some just to sell them to collectors overseas: if you look at some you can tell that they were literally printed with a postmark as part of the design... it wasn't added separately or anything. #ohthecommunisthypocrisy Another particular favourite is countries with revolutions where royalty or anything like it was put to death and decried as the Evil Bourgeoisie, then issuing commemorative stamps for the death of Princess Diana (North Korea) I actually have a collecting category in my electronic software I call "Irony" for just such stamps.

That having been said, I have heard some stamp snobs (not in this forum!) refer to CTO as "wallpaper". They wouldn't be caught dead with them in their albums.

Enjoy your CTOs! Some of them are beautifully designed.

Thread: Information needed...
27/01/2019 12:18:03

Welcome to the fora, Phil, although I personally can't help you with your questions. But I'm sure someone will be along eventually. Of course, one thing you can do is search these fora themselves as I do know there have been threads about engravers and engraving so that will probably give you something do...

Have fun! laugh

Thread: GB Illustrated Special Event Covers & Handstamp Postmarks
25/01/2019 12:29:14

Well needless to say Geoff, today it was all about answering the question "what de heck is a Up Helly Aa?!" What's a Guizer Jarl?! Thanks again for improving my trivia skills!

laugh

Thread: What goes where in the Windsor Albums?
23/01/2019 12:44:36

Hey Ron... welcome to the fora! I unfortunately can't help you but I'm sure someone will be around who will at some point. I just wanted to take a sec to say welcome...

laugh

Thread: Austria stamps
18/01/2019 12:44:30

Oooh, feeling quite proud of myself! wink

So I went to Google and did a search on "What happened in Austria on May 29, 1921" and found this in Wikipedia under Austria's entry. Could it be that's what the overprint is for since I also see the Salzburg designation there? (see the second para)

" End of grand coalition and new constitution (1920–1933)

The grand coalition was dissolved on 10 June 1920, being replaced by a CS- SDAPÖ coalition under Michael Mayr as Chancellor (7 July 1920 – 21 June 1921), necessitating new elections which were held on 17 October, for what now became the National Council(Nationalrat), under the new constitution of 1 October. This resulted in the Christian Social party now emerging as the strongest party, with 42% of the votes and subsequently forming Mayr's second government on 22 October as a CS minority government (with the support of the GDVP) without the Social Democrats. The CS were to continue in power until the end of the first republic, in various combinations of coalitions with the GDVP and Landbund (founded 1919).

The borders continued to be somewhat uncertain because of plebiscites in the tradition of Woodrow Wilson. Plebiscites in the regions of Tyrol and Salzburg between 1919–21 (Tyrol 24 April 1921, Salzburg 29 May 1921) yielded majorities of 98 and 99% in favour of a unification with Germany, fearing that small Austria was not economically viable. However such mergers were not possible under the treaty. "

Thread: Seeing a watermark - Pro tips?
17/01/2019 11:33:25

Hey Trev... do you mean one of those electronic contraptions?

12/01/2019 14:48:32

Hi folks! So I have a 4c Australia green koala stamp. But using my watermark fluid and tray, I STILL can't see the watermark properly to see if it's inverted or not (which of course would affect value)

Any pro tips out there on other things I can do to see that $%^&* watermark? angry

Thanks! laugh

Thread: Philately-Related Christmas Presents
09/01/2019 11:38:46

Hey Gillian would put them in Poland, because the way I see it, it's part of Poland's history that they were occupied by the Nazis and that stamps were issued there during that time. Just my $.02. cheeky

Thread: Brand new subscriptions package
04/01/2019 12:07:48

Hey thanks Beth! I personally am happy with my digital-only subscription but could certainly see why this would appeal, especially to the newer collector - thanks for adding it to our possibilities.

On a side note, I submitted a new uploaded picture for my profile way back, but it needs to be approved by a moderator, which is something we haven't really seen around here lately. Are you now that person, and could you do it please?

THANKS! laugh Happy New Year to everyone at Stamp Mag - keep up the excellent work! thumbs up

Thread: Happy 2019, all!
03/01/2019 12:18:56

Thanks Geoff, and thanks for your daily postings, which will usually cause me to Google search, as I did today, what on earth "Dracula Bray Maidenhead Berks" could be referring to.

It was fun to learn about Hammer Films. On a related note, as a child in England (in Twickenham) in the mid 70s, I lived next door to an elderly retired film producer, of horror films it turns out (complete with scrapbooks he showed us.) Although I don't remember the lovely man and his wife's names, I strongly suspect he was somehow involved in the above. Very cool. laugh

01/01/2019 15:10:01

My 2019 is off to an auspicious start, a friend at church having given me yet another box of stamps from her brother, and anolther one, one from her dad. God bless them!

May your year be peaceful and fruitful!

Thread: Merry Christmas 2018!
25/12/2018 11:20:57

To all my fellow collectors out there...may visions of Treskilling Yellows and Inverted Jennys dance in your heads! And a very Happy New Year as well!

On a funny related note:

Joseph and Mary Stamp.jpg

All the best, everyone! laugh

Thread: Serbia
21/12/2018 12:15:58

Nice, crisp-looking stamp for its age!

Thread: Elsa Catelin
19/12/2018 12:51:11

I'm french, Terry... ask any questions! But I suspect Google will get it mostly right... I must say I'm impressed with the quality of Google Translate.

18/12/2018 12:40:21

That's one of the reasons I enjoy stamp collecting so much as well, Terry - the whole "put-your-Sherlock-Hat-on-and-figure-out-what-this-is" mystery and the great feeling you get when you solve it.

And of course, getting a stamp that you think may have some value to it and the great feeling while you go look up your catalogue to see if it's so (and of course the Crashing Darkness when it never is, LOL!)

14/12/2018 12:29:08

Completely appropriate, Terry, even if I have no clue what the answer is! wink

Thread: What do you collect?
14/12/2018 12:27:47

Hey Robert, welcome from Carmen of Canada of the Commonwealth... laugh

Thread: New Zealand & Oz
11/12/2018 12:21:10

Well I think what I would do, Jon, is maybe find out if there are any valuable stamps from the era you have inherited. So when I get some old Canadian stamps, for instance,which I may already have in mint form, I will first check my catalogue to see if there are some valuable used versions of them before I move the stamps on to someone else.

Hope that helps!

Thread: What happens when you soak a stamp off a red envelope!
27/11/2018 12:10:01

Hey Gillian, I've sent you a private message just to take our rather-off-topic discussion off-line for now... so check your messages! laugh

Thread: What do you collect?
19/11/2018 11:51:33

Welcome Brian! We're a small and kind crowd of collectors here... what made you start collecting them?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values