By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Carmen

Here is a list of all the postings Carmen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Champlain Celebration
11/08/2019 13:24:23

Yup, it was. From some page:

The lake was visited in 1609 by the French explorer Samuel de Champlain, whence its name. Of considerable historical significance, it was used by early settlers as a gateway between French Canada and the English colonies and was the scene of battles in the French and Indian Wars, the American Revolution, and the War of 1812.

Thread: Who enters the competitions?
06/08/2019 13:27:04

Sorry kids, I'm in Canada, I can't. sad

Of course, in this day and age, I could just identify as being "in the UK"? wink

Thread: SG MS1501 Comm. or Mach/def.
28/07/2019 13:30:14

Exactly Kim, and that is how you will wind up like me: 4 binders for my Canadian collection and 6 binders for Everything Else! Not to mention the 6 tons of The Rest of the Stuff I keep on 8 bookshelves in my living room! LOL! Go go go! party

Thread: The 1/- Machin Vs the 1/- Wilding.
28/07/2019 13:27:37

Well, if the governent decided, "Yeah, let's not waste already-paid-for resources, let's just have them both out', that I CAN commend, as a taxpayer.

Thread: Curious Customs
27/07/2019 12:53:00

I'm with you Neil... I thought the subject choice interesting but the stamp designs themselves don't really do anything for me.

Thread: American used stamps
27/07/2019 12:50:06

Well, I can't see a bigger copy of the stamp you're talking about, but I think you may be talking about a stamp with perfins (PERForated INitialS) - that is, some companies or governments would have their initials stamped into their stamps to ensure that those stamps were only used for that company's or government's official or business purposes. Woe betide you if the mail room at the office caught you sending a birthday card to Aunt Martha with one of those on it, see?!

There seems to be an SO & CO watch company in New York City. Depending on how long it's been around (their website doesn't say) this could have been one of their stamps.

Hope this helps! Were you travelling anywhere exciting? Were you able to bring some stamps back?! smiley

Thread: Champlain Celebration
21/07/2019 13:06:54

I take it there should be a picture of a stamp or something, Gillian? What are you referring to?

Thread: 75th D-DAY anniversary
15/07/2019 12:11:59

I think the issue is very well done indeed, although I can understand the disappointment of the family who lost their dad's well-known picture on one of the stamps because of design requirements.

Darned if you do, darned if you don't, ya know?

Actually, one of the more memorable memes I saw on the Internet around American Memorial Day weekend, was this:

"YOUR DAY AT THE BEACH... picture of crowds, sand, sea and sun

BROUGHT TO YOU BY THEIR DAY AT THE BEACH... picture of D-Day landings."

Well said, whoever thought of it.

Edited By Carmen on 15/07/2019 12:15:25

Thread: Curious Customs
15/07/2019 12:08:57

Actually I really DO think they are a great show of British Eccentricity - when I lived in London, I remember hearing someone say that London is the only city in the world where someone can walk around with a toilet on his head and no one bats an eyelid. laugh

As for having heard of them before, I actually KNOW about the Viking heritage in the Shetland Islands... because of Geoff Childs' daily postmark postings in this very forum. THANKS GEOFF!

Thread: American used stamps
08/07/2019 12:40:17

Hi Ian!

Yes, Ian, value is certainly affected by whether or not a stamp has been used, but not always in the way we expect: in the majority of cases, a used stamp will be less valuable than one that is mint. BUT there are circumstances where the opposite is true: during World War 2, for instance, mailing letters in Germany is not something most people could afford to do, so it turns out that unused Hitler Head stamps are worth LESS than used ones, because the used ones are so rare.

Same goes with the Benjamin Franklin profile stamp you have there at the bottom of that page. It's probably not worth much, but if it had been left on cover (it seem to be from a pre-paid envelope methinks) who knows if the entire thing itself might have been more valuable than just the stamp? This is seen for example in envelopes/stamps recovered from the Hindenburg disaster.

I hope this helps, somewhat! smiley

07/07/2019 13:56:45

Well Fred, having worked for the Canadian Government myself, I reserve the right to poke fun at the foibles! I'm reminded of that scene in Apollo 13 where they suddenly realise that they had round holes and square filters... LOL!

Edited By Carmen on 07/07/2019 13:57:44

Thread: Penny red help please
07/07/2019 13:54:05

Fred, it's not the correction that's the problem, it's the tone it comes across in.

On a side note, I don't think that all our moderators are staff by the way... seems to me some with very active participation were made moderators tears ago, but I could be wrong on that...

Thanks!

05/07/2019 12:40:36

"...know what you're talking about before you start,I'd rather see no response rather than the load of hogwash that you stated."

Fred, one reason I stay in this group is because for the most part, it is a wonderful, kind group with input from all over the place. However, I have found that, as a new member, you tend to harshness, my friend - can you please just remember that your tone on the screen will comes across worse than probably what you meant it. Although I'm not a moderator, could it be possible for you to just watch for that? That will keep it accessible and unintimidating for everyone.

Thanks buddy! laugh

Thread: Why self adhesive are perforated
03/07/2019 12:45:31

"Because that's how we've ALWAYS done it." wink

03/07/2019 12:43:15

The Left Hand Design Team didn't know what the Right Hand Design Team was doing? It WAS the government, after all! laugh

Thread: Mocambique
03/07/2019 12:40:18

Hey Ian! Welcome to the fora!

According to my EZ Stamp database, what you have there is an 1898 King Carlos I, Scott Cat #49, perf 11 1/2, worth Not Much! smiley

Hope this helps!

Thread: USPS Moon Landing First Day Covers
29/06/2019 13:44:42

Wow... I cannot believe their short-sightedness. That having been said, the USA's loss is Canada's gain - please see the attached Canadian issue commemorating the same event - and Canada Post DOES ship Internationally and to the US!

**LINK**

Edited By Carmen on 29/06/2019 13:46:53

26/06/2019 13:28:32

Are you sure Kim? In this age of Global Shipping and International Everything, the USPS is missing out on a chance to make money off stamp collectors overseas who are willing to pay for it?!

WOW... how short-sighted of them! I went and had a look on their website to find the policy but could see it nowhere... that's funny coming from an organisation that brags about how it'll get anything to anyone anywhere, LOL!

Thread: Could there be a reversed multiple crown watermark ???
26/06/2019 13:15:07

And that of course, is another thing about stamp collecting - what one person considers of philatelic significance, may not be significant to another. Still, *I* think you have an item of interest there, Fred. laugh

Edited By Carmen on 26/06/2019 13:15:26

Thread: GB Slogans
25/06/2019 12:51:13

Well that I can appreciate, Geoff, having been a reservist here in Canada during my university years, first as an administrative clerk in a Combat Engineer unit, and then as a Finance Officer (but mostly recruiting, my favourite thing!) in a Service Battalion. My husband also started his military career in the reserves, spending a summer with the Governor General's Footguards on Parliament Hill in Ottawa.

Good times were had by all!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers