By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Carmen

Here is a list of all the postings Carmen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: GB Illustrated Special Event Covers & Handstamp Postmarks
05/08/2018 13:28:05

Welcome back Geoff! Hope you had a good rest, or were able to obtain yet MORE first day covers! laugh

Thread: September 2018's Talking Point article
04/08/2018 18:26:25

Hey so I was just reading the interesting Talking Point article about it being difficult to find out about new postal issues, and thought I would chime in and hopefully, some collectors here have some answers

Here in Canada, Canada Post issues a magazine every two months, called Details. The current edition (and all of them going back to 2008) are available for download as PDFs here. The magazine will cover upcoming issues, their choice and design, as well as stamp details such as printers, papers etc.

So my question is, does anyone know if other postal authorities provide such a service? (I suspect, in view of the Talking Point article, that the answer may be no... laugh but I thought I'd ask.)

If yes, and the resource is available electronically, please provide a link for the rest of us...

THANKS! #andgo

Thread: Help getting started with inherited stamp collection
04/08/2018 15:06:18

Yes, welcome to the Fora, Rachel... hopefully this will be the beginning of a new adventure in Hoarding on a Tiny Scale (which is how I refer to Stamp Collecting! laugh)

Thread: Free Machin Album to download
03/08/2018 12:35:01

What a great thing to do, Clive! Not something I personally can use, but it's nice that people are willing to help others in their collecting obsessions... er... I mean... interests.

laugh

Thread: Philatelic Christmas presents
30/07/2018 12:47:27

Well can't speak for you Gillian, but certainly I'm now at an age (52!) when my mind isn't jogged, and it's only been a week since I saw someone! LOL! Sigh...

Thread: Can anyone identify this stamp?
30/07/2018 12:43:14

Yes. Yes he is. laugh

Thread: SG Catalogue NUmbers for 2018
19/07/2018 12:43:50

Can't speak for SG, but here in North America, we can subscribe to Linn's Stamp News which, if I understand correctly, will tell you what the Scotts numbers will be as stamps get issued. Perhaps SG has such a similar service?

Thread: Different designers for one set
19/07/2018 12:39:57

Well I would tend to agree with you, with perhaps the exception that if all the artists had the same basic style, so that it conveyed a unified whole, that might work? But yeah, if there are a bunch of designers, the whole tends to look rather random...

Thread: England World Cup Stamps?
12/07/2018 12:29:52

Well, a heartbreak yesterday but I must add to the universal praise that England have received - they done good, for a team we had no expectations about! Hopefully they can beat Belgium and finish in third place. Well done, lads!

10/07/2018 11:59:07

Well, let's start by having England beat Croatia tomorrow. laugh That would be great though.

But in any event, whether there's a stamp or not, how about an RM cancellation - "England 2018 - I say, chaps, we done good this time!" wink

Of course if we do win, a stamp along with the cancellation "England 2018 - It Came Home" and a graphic of the trophy?

Of course, knowing RM's penchant for appealing to collectors today, I would imagine a World-Cup-Winning issue with individual pics of every player, the manager, the trainers and equipment people, the coach/planes they all travelled around in, and the hotels where they stayed... but hey, I'm not cynical! cool

Edited By Carmen on 10/07/2018 12:06:22

Thread: Philatelic Christmas presents
10/07/2018 11:54:48

So Gillian, have you passed your request for GB album to your sister? You can tell her at least *that* won't get lost under the tree! wink

10/07/2018 11:52:41

Hey Geoff, so on your 2nd July posting about Signals... where or what is B.A.O.R.?

Thread: Belgium
06/07/2018 11:59:42

This is Scott 801 - Albert I, Jules Destrée and Academy. You can red up on both of them in Wiki.

laugh

Thread: Maltese watermark question
30/06/2018 12:34:14

Thanks Paul! Oddly enough, I came across that same article as well as I was looking around! Great minds googling alike, I guess!

Oh well, that magnificent (usually short-lived) moment when you think you've hit a small jackpot (I don't mean financially, I mean as a collector) is WHY I collect stamps! I love it!

This has happened to me once before: I had just opened up a new issue of Stamp Mag (when I still received the paper edition), and there, on the cover of an auction company's catalogue, was the same type of Russian stamp I had only just seen as I sorted through an envelope of stamps given to me by some friends. Obviously, auction catalogues will tend to feature their more valuable/rare upcoming offerings on the cover.

So in the time it took to do the 30-foot walk to get to my office (where my catalogue was) from the TV room, THE WORLD WAS MY OYSTER, ya know?

Of course, it was then that I found out that, rather than owning a rare stamp worth thousands of dollars... I had one of the regular ones valued at about 25 cents. D'OH! cheeky

Anyone else have such a story to tell?

29/06/2018 12:22:42

Okay thanks Paul. Unfortunately, the other answer I've received is "yes it is."

So to sum up my survey so far : "No it isn't." "Yes it is." LOL!

Well so be it, my research will continue... although I'm tending to agree with you... either way, this is the fun part of collecting stamps isn't it?! laugh The Sherlock Holmes-like detective work!

27/06/2018 12:50:00

Okay kids, take a look at the picture below of the watermark on this 1956 Maltese stamp (Scott 252 - 3p King's Scroll) - there is a little shadowing, but you should be able to see (according to Scott), Watermark 4 (crown with CA underneath it):

malta 252.jpg

As you can see though, in my case, that watermark seems to be inverted (i.e. the CA is backwards) According to my Stamp Software, this would be Scott 252_1, watermark 4 inverted, which is worth considerably more than 252 (relatively speaking I mean - I'm not about to buy myself a plane and go over there and take you all for lunch or anything!) cheeky

QUESTION; I did this correctly, right? It wouldn't be considered "inverted" only if I was looking at it through the FRONT of the stamp, yes? In other words, if the correct watermark were pictured here, I would see CA properly in this picture, yes?

Thanks for your input!

18/06/2018 13:22:53

Ah, and with a stamp design by Howard Brown, who features in this month's Stamp Mag! smiley

Thread: Gastronomy Stamp
18/06/2018 13:20:14

Hey Jefferson, thanks! There are some beautiful stamps there!

May I also recommend, from Canada Post:

• The 2006 Wine and Cheese series (4 stamps made to look like wine bottle and cheese labels (Scott #2168-71)
  • The 2007 Art by Mary Pratt Series - Jelly Shelf (I swear I could dip a spoon into one of the jars and spread it on toast! Scott #2211)

Bon appetit! laugh

Thread: A new method for self-adhesive stamp removal...
03/06/2018 13:12:48

Yeah, I wonder what process various countries use? Coincidentally, I'm just reading that article on Butterfly house (Samuel Jones & Co., which provided paper for the world's first self-adhesives) in the June edition of the mag... so does anyone in the fora have a copy of the Sierra Leone stamp they mention as being the first self-adhesive? I don't but will certainly try to obtain a mint one at some point - they're not expensive!

21/05/2018 11:53:34

How apropos on my birthday, a cover about My Favouritest Sport EVER! cakegift GO ENGLAND!

Edited By Carmen on 21/05/2018 11:53:52

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers