By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Carmen

Here is a list of all the postings Carmen has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Some stuff I've been up to, and upcoming...
22/05/2019 12:21:12

Ah yes Geoff, here in Kingston Canada this year we've gotten enough rain that I've already mowed my lawn four times! I'm not much of a gardener otherwise, but I do enjoy hopping onto the lawn tractor to do that. Pro tip: if you wear a Fitbit, take it off before you do that - the tractor goes fast enough that the Fitbit logs it as a Bike Ride!! LOL! Calling all cheaters!

And of course, outdoor football which began a couple of weeks ago and continues this weekend and early next week. Hopefully the city of Kingston can get its sports fields opened so we can start a more regular schedule - they've just been too wet to use so the leagues are having to share full-sized outdoor turf fields in limited numbers (4 of 'em!)

C.

Thread: Are any of these stamps worth more than their face value?
21/05/2019 11:54:00

Hey again! I just went and looked up the APS website, and they even have a section called "Inherited a Collection"!

fist

21/05/2019 11:50:50

Welcome to the Fora, JD! I personally think that the best thing you can do, is to find your closest local stamp club or stamp show and give them a call or show up. I suspect they'll have someone there who will be *only too happy* to help you out.

Of course, my recommendation would always be to take up where your grandfather left off - stamp collecting is a fascinating hobby. That having been said, your grandfather seemed to be a collector specifically of "plate blocks" (i.e. 4 of a type plus whatever selvedge (that paper trim on the side with various colours and codes) that was in the corners of them. That, obviously, can be a more expensive proposition than just getting one of each! I'm also assuming that since I'm seeing nothing but American stamps, that you might be American yourself, and if yes, you may want to contact the American Philatelic Society for some help, if only so they can tell you about a local stamp club.

Sorry I can't be more specific... perhaps someone else can? I am no stamp dealer or expert, just an enthusiast of all things stamps! wink Do let us know how you fare though...

Thread: Some stuff I've been up to, and upcoming...
21/05/2019 11:39:37

Thanks Paul! Enjoy your trip to Stockholm... don't forget to post highlights for the rest of us more sedentary folk! laugh

19/05/2019 12:14:20

Hey kids, just thought I'd update the faithful readers with some of my activities lately:

- it turns out "The Royal" (the Royal Philatelic Society of Canada's annual stamp show) is only a few hours from here this year (near Toronto), so my stamp collecting buddy Tracey and I are going on a ROAD TRIP for the day on Saturday Jun 22nd. Woohoo! smile d Among other things there will be a talk by someone from the American Topical Association (ATA - which will have a presence at the show) all about the joys of thematic collecting (which is something I do along with my Canada interest: cats, soccer, Titanic, Royalty, Religion)

- speaking of thematic collecting I threw my hat in the ring the other day and actually joined the ATA for the next 5 years (it was a great price). I took out an electronic-type membership since I have no issues with reading on my cell phone or anything. Of course, this now means that I have access to their *many many* thematic stamp collecting checklists (although there is still a cost for members to purchase them since it takes a lot of work to maintain them but hey, membership has its privileges).

- finally, it's my birthday on Tuesday (hooray for me! cake) and while I was placing an order with my supplier the other day, I told my husband I was ordering a 500-stamp soccer stamps envelope and that could be my gift... fine by him. Less to do on his part. laugh I haven't received it yet but am looking forward to it, that's for sure.

How about everyone else? What have you all been to lately? Any big stamp-related plans or travels this summer?

Thread: Should I feel Guilty?
19/05/2019 11:59:33

Hey Gillian! Well one of my soccer buddies works there - that's how they contacted me in the first place. I will usually make them an offer based on what I see (which most of the time isn't much as you can expect - just a standard sort of younger person's collection that was abandoned into adulthood and then was found by the family kids when their parent dies and they're cleaning out... that kind of thing. BUT if I do find something, then I'll go back to them and we will all benefit.

Believe me, when people have a collection with some worth, it won't tend to wind up at a charity shop, if only because the children will have been told about it. My husband, for instance, has been told that while my collection is not worth a huge amount of money or anything, but don't be giving it away to a charity shop. Contact my approvals provider and they'll buy it off him. And who knows, as I age, I may simply start to wrap up my collection myself and take care of all that before I pass away. But who knows, ya know?

Thread: Forgery machin
17/05/2019 12:21:59

Hey Trevor, interesting! I'm curious though about how and where the forgers are able to get the equipment, for instance, that allows them to do the security tab-thingies?

Are the perforations correct?

Wow, where there's a will there's a way I guess.

Thread: A new method for self-adhesive stamp removal...
17/05/2019 12:19:13

Oh for sure, Ken.

As for the podcast, I can tell you which one it is. Its called Stamp Show Here Today and it's hosted by four people, at least two of which are professional stamp dealers, if I recall correctly, I have really been enjoying it: interesting podcasts and a zany sense of humour!

Thread: Mystery Turkish stamp
14/05/2019 11:41:12

Thanks for that Alex... I am now edumacated! laugh

Thread: Seeing a watermark - Pro tips?
10/05/2019 12:21:29

Sorry Trevor... what post about "error"? I don;t think that was me? (Course I'm Carmen and not Gillian!) laugh

09/05/2019 12:32:36

Okay thanks Alistair! Yeah I think I'll skip the electronic solution.

I was also listening to a good podcast called Stamp Show Here Today (I highly commend it - a great bunch of knowledgeable collectors and dealers with a silly sense of humour!) - their main recommendation as a watermark fluid is specifically Ronsonol lighter fuel (in the yellow bottles specifically), subject to the warnings about flammability and using an aerated workspace.

And for removing self-adhesives, they recommend Pure Citrus.

Thread: Should I feel Guilty?
09/05/2019 12:24:12

Cool Alistair, well done! No need to feel guilty as far as I'm concerned.

The only time I'd feel guilty is if someone (not a collector) had given me stamps and I found something valuable in them, then I've decided I would

a) share my excitement with them

b) see if we can't come to an agreement about what to do with the find (i.e. I make a donation to a charity for them etc.), although hey, *I* found the stamp so I get a benefit there. A local charity shop has started calling me when they get stamps. I'll usually buy them off them with the understanding that if I see something valuable, they'll definitely benefit from the find. After all, they ARE a Charity Shop - they just don't have the time to figure out what to charge when someone gives them stamps.

But ultimately, that dealer sold it to you fair and square. More power to ya! laugh

Thread: Mystery Turkish stamp
06/05/2019 12:42:03

You're welcome Kent - sorry I couldn't help more... go through the same frustrations with Chinese stamps, sigh.

04/05/2019 14:33:00

Hey Kent... so I haven't found your stamp specifically yet, but I did read the following in my 1972 E.H. Harris Stamp Finder: laugh

"But - caution - the star and crescent is also the national emblem of Tunisia and of Pakistan; and the "tughra" appears on some of the early issues of Saudi Arabia."

Whatever a tughra is... but still... maybe expand your search and go take a look in those countries.

30/04/2019 13:00:34

Kent, I'll take a look over the next few days and get back to you.

Thread: stamp album
30/04/2019 12:59:39

Hey Will, I'd suggest just googling "postage stamp dealers in Lincolnshire" and see what happens!

Thread: A new method for self-adhesive stamp removal...
30/04/2019 12:53:59
Posted by ken mulford on 23/03/2019 16:11:10:

No, Ronson is just the name for lighter fuel which i have used for years to enhance watermarks but through experimentation have found it to be good to lift self adhesive stamps of the u.k.

Was listening to a podcast the other day where they hesitate to use lighter fluid because it will tend to have additives that aren't good for stamps, such as oil (to stop it the fluid evaporating too quickly), that kind of thing. As opposed to pure benzene or naptha or watermark fluid.

30/04/2019 12:50:02

One of my friends has decided that rather than worry about soaking and so forth, she just trims around the stamp and leaves it at that.

I've been listening to a podcast called Stamp Show Here Today... they highly recommend a product called Pure Citrus (orange) (you can buy it online) - at least for removing the gum on American s-a... I will buy some and try it on our own Canadian S-a.

Then watch this to see how to do it:

**LINK**

I also highly recommend the podcast - all 200+episodes are there and I decided to start from the beginning - very interesting and quirky hosts with a great sense of humour (hence the video's allusion to a picture of a viking chicken...)

Thread: Cancelled mint stamps
29/01/2019 12:41:55

I am a nutsy stamp collector, period, so I have no issues at all with collecting CTO - I do find them an interesting glance at history, i.e. Communist countries, decrying the Evil Capitalists by making a lot of money off the stamp collectors, for instance... disgust Not only would they sell surplus stock, they would print some just to sell them to collectors overseas: if you look at some you can tell that they were literally printed with a postmark as part of the design... it wasn't added separately or anything. #ohthecommunisthypocrisy Another particular favourite is countries with revolutions where royalty or anything like it was put to death and decried as the Evil Bourgeoisie, then issuing commemorative stamps for the death of Princess Diana (North Korea) I actually have a collecting category in my electronic software I call "Irony" for just such stamps.

That having been said, I have heard some stamp snobs (not in this forum!) refer to CTO as "wallpaper". They wouldn't be caught dead with them in their albums.

Enjoy your CTOs! Some of them are beautifully designed.

Thread: Information needed...
27/01/2019 12:18:03

Welcome to the fora, Phil, although I personally can't help you with your questions. But I'm sure someone will be along eventually. Of course, one thing you can do is search these fora themselves as I do know there have been threads about engravers and engraving so that will probably give you something do...

Have fun! laugh

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers