By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Staub

Here is a list of all the postings David Staub has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Thomas the Tank rubbish stamps
19/06/2011 19:34:06

Adrian, that's a good point. I think that what you say about the minature sheet is true, but the same could be said of almost every souvenir sheet ever produced, even if they are on general sale. Who is going to buy a sheet of four stamps with a decorative border simply to separate and use them? That is even more true when the stamps are of different denominations. I am sure most people going to buy stamps at a counter are looking for stamps of one denomination, usually the standard first class rate.

15/06/2011 22:07:16

I think that there are big differences between the appendix-listed stamps of the 1960s and modern issues like the Thomas the Tank Engine stamps issued by the Royal Mail.

First, the 60s stamps often had no connection at all to the subject matter. It was pure commercialization. At least the Thomas and Friends show was UK based.

Second, and more important, the 60s stamps were often never intended to be used on real mail. They came from small countries with little or no need for the stamps. The modern commemoratives issued by authorities like the Royal Mail and the US Postal Service are intended to appeal to users as well as collectors. The various "Love" stamps issued regularly by the USPS are a good example - I see them on wedding announcements, Valentines Day cards, etc...

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers