By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jack

Here is a list of all the postings Jack has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Prime Ministers stamps
20/08/2014 11:13:04

I would have liked it to be the six most recently dead Prime Ministers so one could have occasional further sets over the years.

Thread: Giving up collecting British stamps
04/12/2013 16:35:27

This is what modern postal history is all about. It's well worn area, just not common in Britain. If you look at Exhibits in the top area at Stampex and elsewheer you will see many dealing with these isues.

Collecting mint stamps is pointless; stamps were meant to do a job and that is be on a cover.

Perhaps begin with Micahael Furfie's excellent 'British Civilian Postage Rates of the 20th century'. Or just try and get decent used examples of current British postage stamps used on cover. Another hint? Train up family and friends to open covers neatly and return them to you. And don't use Xmas stamps on the cards you send to them; use the ones from the previous month or so. Then you get the start of a very current usage exhibit.

Thread: 2013 GB Poll
04/12/2013 16:29:41

Loved the Andy Murray stamp; so pleased that living people are on stamps. Now to see if they could manage a set for worthwhile (as in beyond sport) people.

I'd love an ongoing set for all Brits who have won the Nobel prize (be they live or dead). And throw in any winnners of the Field prize for Maths given the Nobel committee does not award in that category

Thread: Abu Dhabi
31/08/2013 17:26:27

Try for these stamps on cover - or even postally used versions of these stamps - for an interesting and pricey challenge...

Thread: Elizabethan stamps
31/08/2013 17:23:32

Each to theor own theme of course, but I would run a mile from this...

Thread: Calling Merchant Navy Crew!
31/08/2013 17:21:49

'I think we can never honour those who served enough.'

Hmm. Depends on what you mean; American style is over the top and not suitable for more restrained countries...

Thread: 2014 programme?
30/08/2013 13:01:17

Love the Dylan Thomas idea; we have zillions of Shakespeare stamps and Burns has had a quota. Time for the next iconic literature figure (albeit a bad drunk).

Might need to have plans ready for a rushed stamp to celebrate Scottish independence? Dont forget their referendum...

(Or just overprint some Burns...)

Thread: EVENTS page
21/08/2013 16:13:03

I amy be particularly slow today but the 'EVENTS' page seems not to open....

Thread: Collecting the Arabian Gulf States
19/08/2013 18:17:45

'State of Oman' is interesting. There was revolt in the 1960s. Some 'State of Oman' covers were accepted for use through the post by some countries for various political reasons. These are scarce.

Full details can be found in the book 'The Official Envelopes of State of Oman and Dhufar from 1967 to 1986'

**LINK**

19/08/2013 18:13:01

For detailed discusssion of these see the book 'Aspects of Omani Postal History'.

**LINK**

Sorry for the shameless plug - I co-wrote it.. All of the above are covered in the book...

Thread: Not convinced about this section
19/08/2013 18:09:15

I'm not convinced there should a separate thread just for postal history.

What happens, for example, if I want to talk about GB postal history? In my view it should go into GB collecting as it could appeal to more than postal historians. For example, if I wanted to talk about a Wildings postal history aspect people who collect Wildings could find it of interest.. Postal history is not just rates and usage, it also is often based on the stamps used to pay those rates and usage...

By having this thread postal history is resticted to just postal historians...

Jack

Thread: The GB Coronation issue
18/08/2013 09:53:19

My humour is subtle ...

Thread: Murray sheet will be issued!
18/08/2013 09:51:53

Very pleased we have moved on from just the Royals being on stamps ; it's nice real people are now on.

But I would prefer something more than sports icons - for example I'd love an ongoing set of British people who won the Nobel Prize. But I undertsand the thematic appeal of sports winners, it's just the Olympics were too many...

The real challenge is to find the Murray stamps postally used on cover...

Thread: Are you intending to buy any Royal Mail shares?
15/07/2013 21:15:15

'I believe some deal was done last? year which guarantees the Queen's head stays on stamps. To get rid of it would be a PR DISASTER, anyway'

Universal Mail stamps, valid for post in the UK to overseas, do not have the QE2 head on. Secondly I am not sure on the legal UPU position with regard to the UK - no one could object to the content of a stamp such as a QE2 head - but I think one might find that the country could easily be told to be added. Or withdraw from the U.P.U....

Shares? No way - dying business as shown by this electronic communication.

Thread: BPMA sale
15/07/2013 21:06:14

Why - or is - the various Lottery funds not involved? I would have thought it would be right up their street?

I suspect London will now always be too expensive for a building. My view is they should be looking somewhere which is already a major tourist attraction with good transport links to London - Oxford and Cambridge come to mind.

15/07/2013 21:01:27

Getting back to the topic as given ; I liked the 1937 Coronation stamp not least as it was - gosh - just one stamp!

Thread: Integrate postal history into thematic collections
11/07/2013 16:04:24

The idea though is totally correct;....

Thread: Charles Darwin
11/07/2013 16:03:03

Love it. I have my own Darwin collection of postally used British Charles Darwin on cover...

(Oh and a few Darwin PHQ cards / FDCS - but British only as I decided to keep the collection to the manageable size!)

11/07/2013 15:59:22

I'm totally tired of series after series of Royalty stamps - and I'm not a making a political point.. Set of baby royal stamps anyone?

Thread: Andy Murray stamp?
11/07/2013 15:54:13

No. Winning a tennis match is not a reason for a stamp. Stamps should celebrate living people who have done something important, not sport (of which we have had far too much). What about stamps celebrating every British person who was won a Nobel Prize?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Tony Lester
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers