By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Blake 1

Here is a list of all the postings David Blake 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: British Post Office new issues, WAY OVER the top
12/09/2012 17:55:26

I'm in a similar situation in that I collected as a child, but stopped. My father carried on and I inherited his collection. I caught up with the issues which has been missed but am now beginning to feel that there are so many unnecessary issues that I'm going to stop. I have, however, continued to collect some Commonwealth countries and have even taken on Barbados, which has a very moderate issuing policy.

26/03/2011 18:43:44

It's not a question of being insular. It's a question of collecting something because of what it is.

Stamps are stamps. They are meant to be used on post. I don't mind Royal Mail issuing special stamps if there's a good reason, but in recent years far too many issues have no real raison d'etre and the trend towards issuing miniature sheets is ridiculous. If you need a particular £1 stamp why do you have to buy several other stamps just to obtain it?

And have you tried to send envelopes recently with more than two stamps on them? Of those I receive about half don't get any form of cancellation and about 25% get cancelled by pen.

Thread: Morris & Co
20/03/2011 10:52:51

Ah, I see. They are for airmail for the rest of the world. Fine, but if you issue them for that purpose, why not for the airmail EU rate? Why no 2nd class? If Royal Mail really wants to encourage people to collect they should try to make it that most people see stamps on their mail. 90% of the mail I receive has no stamps.

The simple fact is that we are issuing more stamps than are necessary for our postal needs. Gibbons should stop listing them.

After more than 40 years collecting British stamps I'm stopping.

20/03/2011 10:45:52

These are very attractive, but could someone tell me what sort of mail the 76p and £1.10 stamps are supposed to be for. Are you sure about those rates, Julia?

Thread: WWF stamps
20/03/2011 10:35:17

Is Royal Mail making a donation to the WWF?

Thread: Magical Realms stamps
20/03/2011 10:33:40

It would be interesting to know how many of the higher value stamps are used for postal purposes and how many are simply sold to collectors. There is no reason for this issue at all.

Thread: British Post Office new issues, WAY OVER the top
20/03/2011 10:32:04

One of the biggest problems is some of the miniature sheets. There is no reason at all apart from making money - for issuing stamps only in miniature sheets. Gibbons should stop listing these.

02/03/2011 19:01:49

Why are there no special 2nd class stamps apart from Christmas ones?

Thread: Classic Locos of England: great or gimmicky?
02/03/2011 18:59:32

There's nothing wrong with miniature sheets, but the stamps should also be available individually. Otherwise they are not issued for postal purposes and in my opinion are not stamps, but worthless bits of paper.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers