By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jeff Dugdale

Here is a list of all the postings Jeff Dugdale has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Greek Mythology
22/04/2013 20:08:27

Thanks to Adrian for his kind blog comments on my article in the latest STAMP. My album for Greeek mythology alone is four/five inches high - it's such an enthralling subject and I have learned so much in doing it. I think my favourite stamps are those in the Heracles Story which show King Eurystheus who set our hero all 12 tasks hiding in a large pitcher when Heracles brings him home some of the most fearsome trophies. There are two or three examples of this in the Greece 1970 series but if you don't know the legend you might perhaps miss the joke, e.g. in the 2.50 val he hides from the Erymanthian Boar and in the 30 val from Cerberus.

scan0024.jpg

Edited By Adrian on 22/04/2013 20:52:40

Thread: GB Gold Medal Winner stamps
13/08/2012 17:24:16

Ironic as it may given I began this thread rather grumpily, I did succumb and thought some of the stamp designs absolutely super even makjing several of my own fdcs. Amazing what can be done overnight.

Thread: Help us survey the Olympic gold medal stamps
03/08/2012 17:00:40

Hi Jeff, Think this sits better in our survey thread, so I've moved it. JL

I managed to get a Glover/Stanning sheet in a sub-post office in Elgin this afternoon. Speaking to local post office clerks, I gather that in this neck of the woods, at least, several small post offices got 12 sheets of Wiggo and of Glover/Stanning and were told "Don't ask for any more under any circumstances". Buckie, New Elgin and Bishopmill in Elgin got this allocation but the main p.o. in Elgin got zero !! The next dispatch will come on Thursday of next week p.m. when all of the intervening sheets will come again in dozens. That will be an expensive day.

I was sold a blank cover and told that it didn't matter when you bought the stamp or cover, if it went in the Handstamp bag to go to Tallents House it would be cancelled on the day of issue.

They were so short that I had to peel one stamp off my sheet of six for the cover.

I do like the stamps however and am amazed at the logistics successfully managed so far. Well done R.M. for getting this far. I wil try to buy Wiggo on line but am not hopeful. Will be in Edinburgh for the Fringe next Friday to Monday and hope to get some more there mor easily and make my own covers.

Edited By Julia Lee on 04/08/2012 07:19:59

Thread: Dickens stamps
20/06/2012 22:22:12

I thought the stamps within the minature sheet were much better than I expected when I saw them for real as opposed to the publicity rushes. I'd say they were amongst the best designs RM has managed in the last ten years - very classy.

As an English teacher I have to say that Dickens is pretty much unteachable now because pupils baulk at the length of any typical novel and when some do get started they usually don't persevere because of the language. (That would be the difference compared with the final Harry Potter tomes which are even longer) It may be that media studies - critting versions of the stories on DVD - may well be where teaching of Dickens is going. Remember that Dickens' success came by issuing all his novels in serial form so the prospect of being daunted by 600 pages does not arise. Imagine if you were faced with a tome of 600 pages relating all the, say, Eastenders plots over five years !!

Thread: GB Gold Medal Winner stamps
10/05/2012 08:54:01

That's it - there appears to be no options e.g. If I was collecting e.g. Cycling Thematics or Gymnastics I will have to order the lot, as far as I can see.

09/05/2012 18:46:38

And so I am invited to spend at least £60 on stamps which I can only get in miniature sheet format and which will not come until most or all (not clear from the new First leaflet) of the stamps have been issued in mid August so there's no chance of creating genuine fdcs. I think I will pass and I hope a lot of other people tell Royal Mail where to put their Golden stamps !

Leave them on the shelf !

Thread: Magical realms
11/03/2011 17:24:11

I think the new stamps issued this week might be the first from GB to include an apostrophe in their captions. I can't remember any others. Anyone got a better memory than me ?

Thread: Thunderbirds stamps
11/01/2011 16:33:26

I had dreadful trouble with attaching the souvenir sheets to covers.  I first of all asked the counter clerk in Fochabers, Moray, for  scissors as I just wanted to put the four stamps within the sheet on a cover and I couldn't see how to get to them.  No way of tearing into them.  After I cut round them I could see no way of attaching the stamps to the envelope as whatever gum there was seemed inadequate for their weight and bulk so I had to buy glue in order to be sure that they would attach firmly.  Perhaps I was supposed to peel something off ??

My wife had a look at the mint copy I had at home and also could not peel away anything or see adequate gum so she phoned the Philatelic Bureau whose rep said that they had had dreadful problems affixing the souvenir sheets to the official Royal Mail envelopes all of which "had bevelled".

So whilst I think the visual production of them is wonderful their usefulness as stamps is nix.  As such this is quite scandalous - I've paid over the top for something which cannot be used as stamps, without a suspicion that they will fall off before they get to their destination.  Shame on Royal Mail once again !!

Edited By Jeff Dugdale on 11/01/2011 22:19:49

Thread: Magical Realms stamps
06/01/2011 20:16:21

I like them and will want several copies for my Authors collections, for my Cinema collections and for my Myths collections - so that's me hooked, for one and suggests areas beyond myths that might entice thematic collections to purchase at least some of the set.   However apart from the Discworld items, these are all subjects already visited by Royal Mail stamps at least once before.

I note a growing trend of populism amongst Royal Mail issues in recent years - The Beatles, The Rugby World Cup, The Ashes victory, The Classic Album covers, Children's TV classics, London West End Musicals etc etc and some young folk are bound to be hooked for a while at least.

But surely it's too easy to identify for example Tilda Swinton and Sir MIchael Gambon , if not Ralph Fiennes, in these issues ?  What's happened to the Royal Mail policy of not portraying living persons, may we ask once again ?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
varisell stamps
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers