By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Shouksmith

Here is a list of all the postings David Shouksmith has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Remember Stamp Hinges?
04/05/2020 13:42:33

Well, I was very dubious about using lighter fluid too, even though it was recommended by a stamp dealer. So I tried it on a mint but damaged QEII Castle. It worked a treat with absolutely no damage to the stamp at all. I use it all the time now.

Lighter fluid can be easily obtained from tobacconists and many newsagents in the UK...

Thread: What do you collect?
11/12/2018 00:16:53

A great first post, Terry!

A friend and I were at a stamp fair recently and spotted some stamps with nude women on them. I recalled that when I was nobbut a lad in the late '50s/early '60s, one of my favourite stamps was one from Angola (?) with a nude native woman on it. We then joked about a thematic collection based on female nudes. Looks like you beat us to it!

Edited By David Shouksmith on 11/12/2018 00:17:59

Thread: Does anyone know what this is please?
02/12/2018 08:42:58

Yes, as Alex says, this stamp is one of a pair (the other stamp is SG492, 3d violet) issued on 11th June 1946. The pair are generally referred to as the 'Victory' set although your stamp looks like it's been through the war rather than celebrating the end of it. Interestingly, perhaps, my Stanley Gibbons Windsor album refers to the pair as being issued to mark 'Peace Commemoration' rather than 'Victory' so more in the spirit of reconciliation than triumphalism.

Anyway, two dealers I use have the complete set for sale in unmounted mint condition at 10p and 20p - yer pays yer money and takes yer choice. Mind you, the pair (stamps, not dealers!) in good condition on an FDC would be much more valuable. Hope that helps...

Edited By David Shouksmith on 02/12/2018 08:43:30

Edited By David Shouksmith on 02/12/2018 08:45:53

Thread: Stanley Gibbons 'Windsor' Albums - what's been going on?
24/11/2018 00:13:13

I started collecting GB in 1968/69 when I purchased a Stanley Gibbons 'Windsor' album - Volume I, instead of swotting for my A-levels. Over the years since then, I've collected stamps in fits and starts - brief periods of frantic accumulation interspersed with long periods of total inactivity. Over the years, I also purchased Volumes II, III and IV.

When I got out my albums a few weeks ago, I saw that I'd kept them up-to-date as far as 1994 and I managed to find the 1995 annual supplement and that completed my volume IV. So far, so good.

It was clear that at some point, Gibbons had split the original Volume I (originally 1840 - 1970 i.e. all the pre-decimal issues) into two Volumes - 1840-1952 and 1952-1970 and re-arranged the year ranges in the other volumes. I asked a well-known stamp dealer about this and he suggested I'd be better asking Vera Trinder - fair enough. I spoke with VT earlier today and although they were very helpful up to a point, they didn't have the specific information I required and suggested I spoke with Stanley Gibbons. I did that and, again, they were helpful up to a point. The lady on the helpdesk suggested I buy a 2013 'Conversion Pack' - (R5523CP-13) for £19.95 which she'd found in-stock on their website - I'm blowed if I can find it - but, anyway, it didn't seem to be what I needed.

The result is I've no idea which pages and what are supposed to be in each Volume under the new format. Is it worth converting to the newer format or should I just stay where I am with old Volumes I - IV and buy the new Volumes from 1996 onwards? Help!!

Thread: What do you collect?
23/11/2018 23:42:38

Good evening all. I collect GB only from 1840 until about 2013 when I terminated my account with the Philatelic Bureau. That was for two main reasons; firstly, I was just sick and tired of all the commemorative issues and secondly, too many variously coloured Machins to collect - bah!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Purves Philatelics
Tony Lester
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers