By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Julian

Here is a list of all the postings Julian has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Olden days
21/10/2020 07:07:12

I remember Spirograph and Action Man, Etch a Sketch, Slinky's, Greenshield stamps amongst other things. I also remember my first pack of stamps too. Very odd being transported back in time but as a child I loved playing with cars and soldiers....... If only I could harness those days again. Now that's how a stamp should be a wow factor.

Thread: GB Illustrated Special Event Covers & Handstamp Postmarks
21/10/2020 04:12:25

Hi Geoff,

Many thanks, well with Virus around I'm keeping all hatches down. I will pay your web site a visit soon and wander around,

Julian

Thread: Illegal stamps
20/10/2020 16:15:12

As most of you know, some years ago I joined this site and soon became aware of this subject through my themed collecting Princess Diana. I became so disillusioned with it, that I got tired of pursuing my interest and along with bad Health and a number of other things which has all been aired on this web site stopped my collecting. I did start collecting a theme of Canadian Stamps but was put off of the selling price of them! I tend to collect not for value but for what I see and feel about the Theme concerned. I have a liking to the 2nd WW military Stamps of Germany or even Aircraft.

I was taken with a friend Alex in here, who used to show his old (FDC's) and would give a little history about them, which I found fascinating. There a number of Members in here who kept my interests in Stamps alive just with their knowledge and being able to help others for most of us Stamp collecting goes back to our childhoods.

Another problem arises where even storage of these many aspects of stamp collecting becomes an issue! I must have something like 50 Albums dotted around my house of many collected interests of my past and add reading material of the same is rather a problem when you live in a tiny shoe box?

I have recently made a visit to a Web Site which deals with the subject of illegal and Cinderella's Stamp categories which like Geoff;s passion of cancel marks has grown in my absence from this site. I was pleased to see even with the distaste of the "illegal / Cinderella's" he has now given a well informed history as well and to my surprise, the knowledge of even how well known stamp and FDC Companies also fell foul of this subject and in fact, again in my collecting I know I have some, I thought they were error FDC's but no they are illegal stamps passed off through legitimate sources and indeed Stamp sellers including Ebay, Amazon and the list goes on. I was so glad to have visited this guys web site because he has discussed my own feelings, when I found out about my collecting choice. I did enjoy my own discussions on this Web site as I made it into humour as well, just to save my sanity lol!!

However as I was saying, even finding out certain FDC makers also fell into this trap unknowingly made my day. One of the areas to finding these things is through the cancel marks on the covers and there is a little other tell tale signs like perforations and all this I discussed in here UNKNOWINGLY being correct. So now I have bored you all to tears and ready for bed, there is always a positive to a negative.

Maybe my next story will be about my dealings with Americans and Stamp Forums which I joined and was amazed to find a really odd opinion about FDC's which seemed wide spread?

Hagd and have fun in your collecting

20/10/2020 01:15:02

Hi Geoff,

You must have quite a library now of post mark varieties along with stamps and it makes me smile, if not a "Wow Factor" to see these stamps and remind us of our childhoods! The Stamps above I have used myself recently and ut was always a pleasure talking with the staff and reminiscing the years gone by, again being told stories of their work years as well.

Keep up the good work.

Julian

Thread: WORLDWIDE 40G
19/10/2020 15:51:26

I just want so say that in conclusion with this subject I have used one of these and it is correct what Ian has said. As I could not get a letter or email from Royal Mail or Post Office I sent an item over gram weight and it still got there! I got my friend to send me the stamp label back. So the Label does indeed step up to the next tier if revalued at a later time.

Thread: Brilliant Bugs
19/10/2020 15:23:56

I could make this post much longer but I shall try to keep it short.

Overview: Thematics alone, makes this set of stamps worthy, just as any other subject, so lets start there? To give this set of stamps 1 out of 5 for commemorative worth is maybe correct on the basis of the heading but to say this is "essentially a pictorial issue" is not correct! Stamps through its History has brought many subjects to our attention and indeed repeats some subjects over and over "lest not we forget". So it could be said that repartition is "boring"!

Commemorative Worth 1 / 5: Whilst it is not strictly commemorative as in thread, the importance of the subject is very important indeed. Humans have decimated Nature in all areas including our own, to very worrying levels. The comment made shows just how Humans and IF it is just a "Pictorial Issue", you could say that about any issue of Stamps!!

Quality of Design 5 / 5: A truly beautiful set of Stamps of which colour has been used to enhance not only the insects but their habitat.

Wow Factor 5 / 5: I have to laugh at the comment, in the other Human area of life, my heart gets racing. if I get a Stamp which has been used in the first place and bring me to shout "OMG" if it has not been scribbled over, as a cancel mark! It maybe worth while if the Postal system was lobbied to stop this practice but then these little quips are just a presence of sadness which actually in the near future will not need the threads above even have any worth at all?!

I recently had my own Post returned to me can you believe, a letter to the States of which they posted to the back address to the "sender" myself. I think the fact the post had real stamps shocked the sorter to such a degree they had their own "Wow Factor" so you never know, amazingly it got to me the next day and was re posted and got to the States a week later!!!

Humans eh.

Thread: Korean Stamp
19/10/2020 00:24:44

HI Paul, I been off the stamp scene for a while, I have been coming in to do the competitions. The only thing I found on the Internet was a piece in the Daily Express but now you say that, it does explain why the lines are bold across the stamp. Not sure I am prepared to pay £5.02 for one though and $27.99 for 3 I don't think so but even this item is not the same but of course a 3D version would need the light angle to be right to see the dotted line around the stamp. The Daily Express stated that no one is interested in these and that they are coming from China in quantity, using the Diana selling point.!! Lol back to the same old story but they were talking about the paper versions so it would be nice to know what Michel would have as value to them. OK just found another set and they all show the dotted line, different values, really odd. I think if I was to buy these I would go to the Horses mouth and strike a deal if directly dealing with them as a seller. Only a Cinderella twit like me would fall for this but they are unique just not at those prices, I reckon its going to be a waiting game or catch a Chinese pushing them out. Glad I put the question out there though and thanks for your info my friend, hope your part of the world is Virus free and your well.

I often think of you when seeing Chinese stamps in bulk or collections "old stuff" And Alex and German stamps.

Will keep an eye open on these and see how they flood the market or not. They did with phone cards anything to make a buck and its like William and Harry stamp sheets normally carry Diana on them for the sell.

Cheers Paul and thanks again

Edited By Julian on 19/10/2020 00:27:30

16/10/2020 17:40:54

Hi All,

Been a long while doing this again?

Stamp description on Ebay: Royal Wedding 1981 Mi. Bl. 130 SS 100% MNH Princess Diana

I have emailed this Italian to explain his description when the stamp quite clearly has on the top of it:: HRH Prince William of Wales June 21st 1982.

I also questioned the -------- around the stamp which I assume is the perf around "what I believe is the stamp?".

His replied "if I do not know the stamp, then do not bid"

So I have done some searching and come up with a story The Daily Express that these are Chinese push overs, not worth the money they print on the paper lol,

What actually struck me was the lines running left to right looks more like a "silk" which was one of my questions to the seller,

I took Mi to be Michel catalogue abr and the Bl. of the same, is overprint?

I guess this persons printer is either that bad or the actual printers of the stamp I have found other similar stamps 30 value which are pretty similar.

To top it off the guy in Ebay wants £5.02 and the Express say 50p!!!!

xs-l1600.jpg

The DOTTED line is the Perf I assume

Have fun folks

Julian

Thread: Forests
31/08/2019 06:43:29

I have seen this and maybe for once actually buy a set. I remember Alex talking about a forest when in Germany as a boy,

COMMEMORATIVE WORTH : I think this verdict is very wrong indeed, however I maybe biased as I love countryside, trees or portraits of landscapes. I am also a believer of the Commission as well. I just laugh at the reasoning for this score, I feel 5/5 is more fitting, lots of people love forest and there 100's of gardens which incorporate trees or large areas of land, which usually fall under the National Trust. I also think if we had forest like in the States we would all be interested in forests, also Canada as well. Actually, if I think about colourful wow, that would be my first statement America or Canada simply because you see so many colours in one place,

QUALITY OF DESIGN : 5/5 There is nothing wrong with design and I wonder if this guy knows anything about photography. I have not been to any of these places and these stamps make me feel I want to go, he may have a point on focus but when doing large forests or landscape it is indeed very hard to get that good picture! There is one stamp which I would not associate to Forest meaning trees and that is Waterfalls that is an entirely different Category, however he could have instead taking a landscape picture do a vertical picture which may show more trees. But I reckon he has gone for the wow feature of the waterfall to reach a purpose and he has done it well, for it has won its spot.

WOW FACTOR : 5/5 Again I disagree, the forest or gardens come to that only have a limited time in the year, in which they look great and again the waterfall pic is a dead cert for looking good as generally they look good all year round? Take all the others stamps the pictures are worth putting on a stamp for sure. That is the difference and forest need to be landscape to take in the glory of area. Where Gardens you can focus on individual plants or colour for the wow factor but even then, a better picture could be of lots of colours in a bigger view.

I can give a for instances, The Amazon rain forest on the ground you probably need many factors to getting a good pic but take a picture from the air and you may have that wow factor.

Thread: 75th D-DAY anniversary
13/08/2019 03:18:15

HI Carmen nice to hear from you, yes I agree it is hard to approach the subject and even using the stamps in the first place as the general public are not aware you have to ask for these specifically to buy and use and only for the month. The girls used to say although they were kept in the back of the folders to sell but basically it was up to their discretion to use them. The only time they asked the public was for the Christmas issues.

Thread: Today's cancelled envelope
13/08/2019 01:36:04

Hi Alex,

One of my favourite subjects, there is no way you could re use those for sure but I have re used biro cancels depending on how hard the person scribbled over them, as it can be lifted off the stamp. I do not do much these days, as you say its very rare to get stamps through the post.

I now use a online company to deliver birthday and x'mas cards to friends in Canada and USA as it works out the same price and my American friends report the same things like mail going to neighbours etc etc. This also has been here since we lost the regular postman, probably late 1990's. To date it can be anybody and at any time of the day. I used to like having a chat with the posty and now the P.O has moved into WH Smiths I don't get to chat the ladies up in there like I used to. I did write to the PO that if they moved to WH Smiths it would be a bad move and have been proved right as their internet connection fails regularly. Very handy when your half way through a transaction and you have to wait to finish what you was doing!!

Happy days though, they are just forcing people away from them and to other companies like Hermes and the internet yourself.

As for receiving it in condition, had a letter from the Hospital arrive in a plastic bag saying sorry that my letter was actually in two halves. I am also getting my currency changed up online as well these days, much better rates. with either pick up point or I have it sent to friends accounts abroad.

I think the Conservatives will get their way with the RM and probably the NHS all being Private in the end in the near future. I find it highly funny that businesses creamed off big contracts to deliver mail then passed it onto the RM to deliver anyway????

Thread: Who enters the competitions?
13/08/2019 00:48:00

I do and have won quite a few about 5 to date and I always made a post of mine but not been in here as much as I would like, so my loss.

Thread: 75th D-DAY anniversary
14/07/2019 23:45:06

I got to say I find any stamps provoking us to remember is a good thing. With things in the way of the World today and what these poor blighters went through to stop tyranny and for what?

VERDICT

COMMEMORATIVE WORTH 5 / 5 Indeed!

QUALITY OF DESIGN 5 / 5 I think they cover the scene pretty well.

WOW FACTOR 3 / 5 Not sure there is a wow factor without shock and awe.

Thread: Curious Customs
14/07/2019 23:27:25

Well because I am so young I do not know any of these and was not Halloween an American tradition which crept over here? I am assuming it must be with regard Ireland why it is considered British?

I think these are hilarious though, as well as informative with the description here but I wonder what anyone would know about these events by the stamp it self. I do not even think they teach WW2 in Schools these days let alone medieval times.

COMMEMORATIVE WORTH 1 / 5 I disagree, "they epitomise British eccentricity" I think not.

QUALITY OF DESIGN 4 / 5 I found them very amusing and eye catching but how the heck can someone make them playful? I also have to say with the world today when I first saw them I thought they were to do with LGBT movement!

WOW FACTOR 4 / 5 I think anyone getting ANY stamp though the door will think "A stamp, what is one of those" Awe yes this could be British eccentricity!!!

14/07/2019 22:34:37

Hi Geoff, I got some catching up to do, glad to see your task is still expanding!

Thread: Wilding m/c stamps
14/07/2019 22:31:05

Geez, I missed WW3,

sad Ut oh , Fred do you proof read your comments? It's not a competition about who knows what or the most in here and whilst I agree someone like me who knows little, maybe irritating to you when making comments, as you seem to be more like Paul in knowledge and his vast library of information, you maybe better in taking a lead just to be a bit more kinder in your estimations of others comments. I am sure no one wants you to leave and I cannot see anyone from when I was here, being vindictive or harassing but as I say I have not been in here for some years so time will tell.

Thread: Penny red help please
14/07/2019 22:05:21

Hi All,

My oh my, someone getting upset with my ramblings, there's a first and I have not been here for a while and the first thing I open is this. I have always taken an interest with helping anyone even as I stated I had no real knowledge about the stamps. I'm not worried about your remarks Fred but the point is Trev may not have got the answer he wanted but at least I took the time to answer him and pay attention. Making a post and getting no answer is worse if you ask me but I expect Trev had a good chuckle as I had fun with most in here back then .

Nice to see Alex back and Carmen and Paul still here.

Julian

Thread: World wide 40g
23/03/2018 16:24:57

Hi Ian, so if the PO just sell them with no knowledge to what they see in front of them, how is one to prove the RM's stance without proof?! By the way the reason this is a separate post because some people only follow the list of latest posts comments rather than an old thread to which you have to search for, "its a cunning plan Baldrick" one I find works.

I do thank you for your link though very interesting.

Thread: WORLDWIDE 40G
23/03/2018 16:11:18

Hi Ian, not being funny but I would want that information from RM themselves, not on a blog. As stated NO one could give a proper answer and if your sending something abroad with a 40g label and using it for 100g I would need to prove to counter staff at the post office their correct validity, to which I could not get.

Thread: How to number stamps from a Miniature Sheet?
23/03/2018 15:30:21

Yes they should but you may have to look in different SG cats to find them! If I remember rightly some miniature sheets accompany the post office sheet for sale, i.e the MS sheet may contain the 4 stamps but the PO sold them in sheets of 50 say, so you would not have purchased them from the PO as in a miniature sheet format if you see what I mean and vice versa. So the MS has its own number along with the 4 individual stamps, again I'm vague on this but if the sheet is a commemorative only SG don't list the numbers of the stamps.

I think I have that right if not, all answers to Billy on a PC with a valid stamp attached

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Nordfrim April
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Purves Philatelics
SANDAFAYRE
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values