By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Gillian Hutchinson

Here is a list of all the postings Gillian Hutchinson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Finally started to sort GB stamps.
23/03/2019 12:14:03

I have a lot of GB stamps which were just loose in envelopes etc. I have now started to check if I have any already mounted in my albums. When I've done that I'll start mounting them. I had been putting off doing that because I didn't have a GB Album to mount them in. One of my sons paid heed to my Christmas wish list and gave me a GB album, but without the actual pages for mounting the stamps on. That was going to cost extra, so I've decided to use another son's album, which is a ring binder and has lots of extra, blank pages, which I can put next to the GB page in the album. I do have a stock book, but am using that for overflows and stamps from way back, eg Belgian Congo, Malaya, Nigeria in King George VIth times, even Katanga - all of these came in a packet from hubby at Christmas time - another family member who paid attention to my wish list.

Gillian

Thread: A new method for self-adhesive stamp removal...
23/03/2019 11:59:47
Posted by ken mulford on 15/03/2019 17:19:38:

seem's a dumb way to lift a stamp off paper.

lemon juice = acid , not a good idea for paper.

whats wrong with the old way of using good old Ronson lighter fuel?

works for me every time , even saves the adhesive.

so you need to have a backing paper to store them on..

Does it have to be Ronson? Not sure we have any of that stuff.

Gillian

20/02/2019 14:56:00

Did you ever get that Sierra Leone stamp, Carmen? Have you seen this? I found it on a Google search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3TwMX8Be7c

Just wondering, would simple lemon juice work? Very interesting video, about why self adhesive stamps were invented and how you can recognize them, amongst other things, although I'm not really any the wiser about the latter. I must have a look sometime at self adhesive and lickable stamps to check it out.

Eric, I usually try soaking all my stamps and if the backing paper is stubborn/reluctant to separate, I just mount those stamps as they are.

Gillian

Thread: Spur-of-the-moment question/used to collect/have found nice looking stamps!
08/02/2019 11:51:42

Would you think of removing the stamps from the envelopes and putting all your stamps in an album? I have albums from my husband's youth and mine.

Which reminds me, I found a stamp from Belgian Congo - don't know where it appeared from - and am not sure what to do with it - find a space in one of those childhood albums or put it in with up to date Congo Republic stamps?

Gillian

Thread: Philately-Related Christmas Presents
26/01/2019 14:03:54

Hi Paul,

I like the sound of the posh albums. The album is a Davo and is actually a binder, which comes in a case and has what appear to be page dividers(?) My son gave it to me and I'm guessing he couldn't afford to give me extra pages, but I would have thought there'd be more than 3 to start with. There was definitely no marked spaces for individual stamps.

Gillian

25/01/2019 22:18:47

OK, this is the 3rd attempt at this because the webpage keeps logging me out. This time I have clicked Remember Me, so hopefully I won't be logged out before I manage to send my post.

Thanks, Chris and Carmen. I'll put any occupied Poland stamps on the Poland page. So far I've just seen one.

I'm confused about the GB stamp album. Is it normal to have only a few pages in an album but space for more and are those pages normally blank as opposed to squared?

Gillian

08/01/2019 23:41:38

I also meant to ask where the stamp from German-occupied Poland should be placed - in Poland or on a special page for stamps from occupied countries?

Gillian

08/01/2019 15:38:57

I had a Great Britain Stamp Album on my wish list for Christmas 2018. I'm not sure if there was anything else on the list. I got what I think is a GB stamp album, but it had very few pages in it and those were blank - not squared like most stamp album pages. I also got what was supposed to be a starter kit - a stock book and some stamps - no hinges. Any advice welcome.

I haven't looked at all the stamps yet, but one caught my attention. It had General Gouvernement on the front, also an eagle. I Googled it and it seems that it's from Poland from when the Germans were occupying Poland.

A funny extra note to a previous post about my little sister buying me stamps - I found an old birthday card - sent in recent years - on which she had written that she had found some stamps in the house and had given them to me for Christmas, only to be told they were mine In the first place!

Happy New Year to all!

Gillian

Thread: What do you collect?
19/12/2018 12:06:56

Speaking of people not writing letters anymore, have you noticed that you can buy plenty of envelopes, but not writing paper? At least, that's how it is in this town.

I don't so much collect certain stamps as find stamps from certain countries coming into my possession, with the majority being from Japan, the USA and Italy. I'm thinking I should have put stamp albums with blank pages on my Christmas wish list and used those for those countries. At the moment I'm using an old album of my son's for the overflows. It's one of those ring binders where you can add extra blank pages.

Gillian

Thread: What happens when you soak a stamp off a red envelope!
24/11/2018 21:13:33

Hi Carmen!

Aha, a fellow believer - wonderful. Your job sounds wonderful too and is also very necessary.

I spend most of my time looking after my family - we have three adult offspring all on the autistic spectrum and all living at home, as well as another who lives in his own place whom we see occasionally but particularly when a birthday is happening and when he has to fly somewhere as the international airport is 5 minutes drive from here.

We are members at Antrim Baptist Church where God's Word is faithfully preached. We have a team of people who deal with child protection issues and also deliver training in these fields to those involved in working with children and young people in the church. I'm not sure if the training covers issues related to vulnerable adults. I must enquire some time. I also spend one morning a week volunteering in a charity shop which was set up by a couple from the church working as missionaries in Mozambique. Amongst other things the money raised has funded the provision of wheelchairs to disabled people out there - adults and children. I mentioned the shop in a thread I started a couple of years ago about selling stamps there.

I also spend time on other for a. That's why you'll only see me on here occasionally.

Gillian

08/11/2018 14:14:09

Nearly didn't get in there - the website tried to tell me I wasn't using a valid email address, but I tried again, this time successfully.

What church and what do you do - apologies for being nosy!

Naughty girl - Lee Israel that is. Looks as though it would be an interesting film, as would the book.

Gillian

26/10/2018 19:49:42
Posted by Carmen on 16/10/2018 10:55:03:

Indeed... I can just imagine some guy somewhere in his grave in Sweden thinking, "what's all this nonsense I hear about a rarity called a 'Treskilling Yellow'? All I did was soak it off that bright yellow envelope that card was sent to me in..."

wink

Wait... maybe you should try to sell it for millions as a "rare South African 30c Pink"! laugh

Edited By Carmen on 16/10/2018 10:56:33

Lol Carmen!

26/10/2018 19:43:36
Posted by Trevor Bishop 1 on 25/09/2018 16:13:04:

Hi Gillian , Oh dear , lucky it wasn't a valuable one . I haven’t found a way to take off stamps from red envelopes safely .

A while back I soaked off quite a few German stamps all in one bowl , only to find that many of the envelopes had NON colourfast lining to them which I hardly noticed until a nice pink stain stained all the white bits of the stamps . I’m a lot more careful now.

Trev

Pretty much same as what happened with mine, Trev. I didn't even think about the envelope being red or the possibility of the colour leaking.

Gillian

14/10/2018 23:00:49

Well, I've learned my lesson and I have at least a couple of other stamps the same as that one.

Gillian

25/09/2018 11:57:03

I guess I'll need to be careful the next time I soak a stamp off a red envelope!

Gillian

da031e9a-0162-4264-8897-2ce11e1f0606.jpeg

Thread: Philatelic Christmas presents
08/09/2018 21:37:24

To be honest I don't know Belfast very well and am hardly ever there, but I see from a Google search that The Belfast Stamp Shop is in High Street.

Enjoy your trip!

Gillian

16/08/2018 19:48:35

Well, since you’re just a youngster to me, Carmen, I consider myself pardonned for my memory not being jogged lol. Thank you!

Gillian

28/07/2018 23:06:25

LOL. We no longer exchange presents, Carmen. She's in Surrey and I'm here in Northern Ireland. I'd be better dropping hints to my own family. Her daughter and her boyfriend were visiting here today before heading back home after a holiday. She would have enjoyed that story about the stamps, but I forgot about it until now. Even her talking about her cats playing with the Christmas tree didn't jolt my memory.

Gillian

Edited By Gillian Hutchinson on 28/07/2018 23:06:59

09/07/2018 13:00:19

I don't get this - 0 replies are indicated for this thread, which was started in 2011, but a last post is indicated in 2018 with no way to read it. Can someone explain please?

The op reminded me of a small, but appreciated philatelic Christmas present my sister gave me when we were kids - she a few years younger than me. It was a small packet of stamps for stamp collectors - usually enthusiastic young stamp collectors like myself. She wrapped it in just enough wrapping paper to cover the packet and set it on the Christmas tree, but alas, when all the presents had been handed out on Christmas Day, there was no sign of the small packet from my sister to me and she got quite upset at its disappearance, insisting that there definitely was another parcel from her to me. Thankfully she found it, after a lot of rummaging on the floor under the tree.

I did appreciate that small packet of stamps, but the philatelic Christmas gift I would like now would be a GB Stamp Album for my growing collection.

Gillian

Thread: Found my collection after 45 years
19/06/2018 19:14:06

Yes, I am in the UK, Collectra. Spain is even better than the UK from where you are, and excellent with an indoor aerial. Did you ever think to study to get a licence so you can transmit?

Gillian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values