By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Geoff CHILDS

Here is a list of all the postings Geoff CHILDS has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: GB Illustrated Special Event Covers & Handstamp Postmarks
21/01/2014 21:20:33

Paul

Thank you for your kind words about the site.

I would say your £10 has been very well invested.

Personally I would leave the '1d black' on the cover as it is making an individual philatelic item. I wonder how many covers were created like this.

Yes please to the Jpeg not a GB Cover as you say but an example of the NPM GB postmark.

You can send it to the web e mail of info@gbcovercollector.co.uk

Thank you

Geoff

19/01/2014 19:57:53

All,

I have just finished uploading the additional 1969 plain covers that I have recently acquired and adding the descriptive text on the information I have about the postmark or illustrated covers produced for that year.
In total for 1969 there are 334 images, 84 illustrated and 250 plain covers.

Currently in total on the site there are just over 6840 images just over 1950 are illustrated covers and around 4860 plain cover images.

British Forces Postal Service postmarks now number 1019 images.

Over the next few days will be uploading a number of illustrated covers and hope to start uploading the Buckingham Cover series 2 by the end of the week.

Will also be revisiting the 1970 postmarks and sorting the recent additions I have for this year for uploading together with the additional information for the descriptive text.

Please visit the site and any omissions you note that you have in your collections please consider sending me a scan.
Any views comments feedback will be gratefully received.

Thank you

Geoff (GBCC) www.gbcovercollector.co.uk

08/01/2014 19:54:59

All,

Thanks to fellow collector Richard DEAN who kindly allowed me access to his CoverCraft Cover collection.
I have uploaded some 108 images on to the site which can be found by searching covercraft either upper or lower case.

The BFPS images now number 1001 and in total there are some 6733 images on the site.

If anyone can assist with my previous post I would be most grateful and please remember if you have a cover or postmark not showing on the site please send me a scanned image or post on this forum and I will upload so the reference data base increases.

Many Thanks

Geoff (GBCC)

05/01/2014 12:45:49

Dear All

Happy New Year

I have uploaded on to the site all the 1968 special event postmarks that I have access to.
In total there are 174 images on plain covers and 47 on illustrated.
For that year I believe I am only missing examples of the following special event handstamps.
If anyone has an example on a full plain or illustrated cover that they could send me a scanned image so I can upload on to the site I would be most grateful. (info@gbcovercollector.co.uk)
1)29th May BFPS 1000 used on Stamp issue day for Anniversaries.(837)
2) 10th June BFPS 1000 (A847)
3) 24TH June - 6th July - The Lawn Tennis Championships Wimbledon - Without the time on the handstamp (858a)
4) 25th November HMS Hermes BFPS 1074 - Believed used only on First Day Cover for Christmas stamp issue. ( 949)
The numbers in the brackets are the Pearson numbers.
I have also added as much descriptive text on the information I have as regards the postmarks/covers for 1968.
Starting on adding to the current uploaded images of 1969 soon but before that will be uploading some illustrated covers.

Currently there are some 6600 images in total on the site.

Geoff (GBCC)

22/12/2013 08:12:58

Dear All

All currently available 2013 plain covers with special event postmarks have been uploaded, 214 in total.
There are currently 12 illustrated event covers for 2013.
British Forces Postal Service (BFPS) images now number 973
There are a total of 6445 images on the site.
Have a large number of illustrated to upload over the coming weeks together with an extensive recently acquired plain cover collection covering 1968-2008. Will keep all updated as to progress.
Also I plan to add more descriptive text to each cover and add a thematic keyword where appropriate for search purposes, ie 'Cricket, Royalty, Golf etc. (I will be over the forthcoming year revisiting uploads to update). Any thoughts on key thematic words that are unlikely to be in the postmark would be appreciated.
Thank you to all that have visited the site and sent me images to upload, please keep doing so

I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

16/12/2013 16:02:00
All

Currently all available postmark images for 2012 have been uploaded. In total there are 284, 282 plain and 2 illustrated covers.
British Forces Postal Services images (BFPS) now stand at 962 and in total there are 6211 images on the site.
Over the next few days will be uploading some illustrated covers which will show as recent products and will also start scanning and titling the 2013 plain event covers which I hope to then start uploading at the end of the week.

Thread: Postal History from the Waste Basket
10/12/2013 20:26:00

All,

Another envelope and yes the scan of the back is the correct way up I have just cropped it a fraction to remove the senders address which was in Coventry. This would never have made my waste basket if only for the slogans stopping it being disposed of.

Again a philatelic travelling story in one small 1957 envelope.

Geoff

1957_ front travelled cover.jpg1957_ back  travelled cover.jpg

10/12/2013 19:35:42

All,

One envelope with a story to tell gets us all thinking and talking. Totally agree Alex this is what philately is all about.

Could the 20 followed by a 'swiggle' be a weight 20gms or some form of initials signature? and then could the 266 also refer to the weight when subsequently weighed by someone else?

Re looking at the original certainly 266 or 20 has nothing to do with the senders address which is on the rear of the envelope.

Adrian I would agree that it is more likely to be DTS than D1S

Geoff

09/12/2013 20:08:49

All,

All 2011 covers now uploaded on to the site 321 in total for the year 305 plain and 16 illustrated

Continuing with the scanning of the plain 2012 Event covers with special Handsatmps. Currently up to the end of April 2012 have been uploaded on to the site. There are some 111 images for 2012 to view.
This evening I have uploaded some Royal Navy Illustrated Event covers and these can be seen as recent products on the front page.
There are now 955 images for BFPS postmarks and a total of 6026 images on the site.

09/12/2013 18:00:14

All

Sorting out some bits and pieces and came across the below envelope. On the rear are postmarks for Derby DE1 1AA 25 Aug 1987 RLB 2 and Bergisch Gladbach 1 5060 12-8.87--5. Could have ended up in the bin!!

1987 how many marks.jpg

Geoff

02/12/2013 20:36:21

All
I am continuing to scan and title up the 2011 plain covers. Currently on the site have uploaded images to the early part of September 2011. There are currently 217 plain cover images and 16 illustrated images for 2011.
Tonight I have just uploaded 8 illustrated covers from the 1970's some of which I have added some descriptive text. When I can ascertain some detail around the cover/event/postmark I will endeavour to include this in the description.
The last cover I uploaded tonight the 1974 2 Feb Liverpool Street Station Centenary is of particular interest in as much as I have been unable to find the said postmark listed in the Finch/Peachey publications, hence it has no catalogue number in its title.Prior to making contact with the above named should anyone be able to shed any light on this postmark or I have gone word blind and it is listed I would be most grateful of any information being received.
At present there are some 5790 images on the site.

Thanks for reading and browsing, any feedback, images etc gratefully accepted.

Geoff (GBCC)

25/11/2013 21:41:52

John,

As a postmark/slogan collector I would always find a place in my collection for any mail item that has gone through the postal system , in my case the GB postal system.

As regards the Harrow Slough image a purest might say it's not a postmark, as a collector I would say it is

Geoff

23/11/2013 14:17:56

All,

Have finished uploading the current images I have for 2010
There are a total of 334 images for 2010, 316 plain event covers and 18 illustrated.
There are now 914 British Forces Postal Services (BFPS) images, 42 Buckingham Cover images and the site currently has a total of 5540 images.
Will be starting on plain event 2011 in the next few days and will also be uploading some illustrated covers recently purchased.

Geoff (GBCC)

20/11/2013 22:40:15

Dear All

Scanning of 2010 plain covers continues and I hope to be uploading the next batch in the next couple of days.

I have kindly been given permission by Buckingham Covers ( www.buckinghamcovers.com) to have access to their Illustrated Special Event cover images and have uploaded around 26 of their covers so far. 20 of these are from their Series 1 and I hope to have the remainder of series 1 uploaded by this coming weekend if not sooner.

If you enter Buckingham Covers in the search field on the site this will return the current uploaded images with the respective special event postmarks.

Will keep all updated as to progress.

Happy browsing

17/11/2013 15:36:55

All,

Have uploaded on to the site plain event covers with special event postmarks up to mid May of 2010.

Some 149 images for this year so far.

British Forces Postal Service postmarks now number 901 images and on the site in total there are 5319 images.

Continuing to scan and title the remainder of 2010 and will updated when on the site.

Thanks to all who send images, please keep sending so that the data base can grow.

Geoff (GBCC)

11/11/2013 21:28:53

All,
I have just finished uploading all the available 2009 plain/illustrated special event postmarks covers.
In total there are 321 Images for 2009. 271 plain and 50 illustrated.
There are now 887 images for BFPS ( British Forces Postal Service) postmarks.
Currently in total there are 5154 Images on the web site.
Will be starting on 2010 over the next few days and will also be adding some recently purchased illustrated covers during the week.
Please continue to view and will be grateful for any scans of covers or postmarks not seen on the site.
Many thanks to those that have recently sent me images.

03/11/2013 19:12:50

Dear All

Have just uploaded the first of the 2009 postmark images on to the website predominately covering from January to the end of March 2009.
So far 108 images for this period 30 being illustrated and 78 being on plain covers.
The number of British Forces Postal Services (BFPS) images is now at 844 and in total there are 4906 images on the site.
Continuing to scan and title up the next quarter (April-May) of 2009 and will update when uploaded on to the site.
Will also be uploading most nights illustrated covers that I have purchased over the past few weeks and those that have been kindly sent to me or I have been given permission to use.
Please keep visiting the site and if you have in your collection a GB Illustrated cover currently not displayed please consider sending me a scan so I can upload and increase the data base.
Thanks to all for your time and support

26/10/2013 19:38:00

All,
I have just finished uploading all the available 2008 plain/illustrated special event postmarks covers. In total there are 361 Images for 2008. 340 plain and 21 illustrated.
There are now 812 images for BFPS ( British Forces Postal Service) postmarks.
Currently in total there are 4767 Images on the web site.
Will keep all updated as to the progress of 2009 plain covers

15/10/2013 19:19:03

All,

Have just uploaded on to the site the latest two 2013 illustrated Event covers from the British Forces Philatelic Service.

1) The Last Airshow RAF Leuchars & 2)Formation Parade of 162 Regiment The Royal Logistics Corps

Geoff (GBCC)

14/10/2013 22:03:29

All,

Plain event covers for 2007 have been uploaded and have tonight uploaded around 70 plain event covers for 2008. Still have a large number of plain event covers for 2008 to scan and title up before uploading to the site.

Uploaded a number of Naval covers produced by RN Marriott, last night. If you search Marriott this will display them, in total there are 25

The site now has around 4400 images.

Also tonight on checking the analytics for the site I had my 1000 unique visitor this evening.

Thank you all for the support and keep visiting and if you have an illustrated Event cover not on the site please consider sending me a scan. See e mail details on About page.

Many Thanks

Geoff (GBCC)

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
Guernsey post November
Purves Philatelics
varisell stamps
Glasgow Stamp Shop
SANDAFAYRE
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values