By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Rudolph Toth

Thread dedicated to the work and (biographical) information of the engraver Rudolph Toth

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Adrian26/11/2013 10:41:41
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

Info from the original engravers thread, by Michael Chambers:

To start the ball rolling here are six stamps engraved by Rudolph Toth who engraved numerous stamps for Austria in the decades after the Second World war, often working in partnership with the designer, Adalbert Pilch. I think he is among the very best.

26b.jpg

Alex27/11/2013 09:08:52
543 forum posts
3 photos

What an ugly stamp, what's with that pink color?

I have visited Melk and it is a beautiful church with a rich yellow color. I stood under that arch looking out across the fields and woods, with the Danube as backdrop.

Here is a better example, by far. Austrian Day of the Stamp issue, 1954.

melk.jpg

Your precious engravers may be good, but it sure doesn't stop the stamps themselves being c***! smile p

Julia Lee27/11/2013 09:15:11
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

Really? I've also been to Melk (dragged about two hours out of our way by my dad to look at 'the second finest example of Baroque architecture in Austria' and I think the first stamp captures it much better.

Still, wouldn't life be dull if we were all the same...

Adrian27/11/2013 10:38:12
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

So there!

smile p

Julia Lee27/11/2013 10:44:58
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

I wasn't taking sides, per se. Anyway, go back to talking about Toth.

Alex27/11/2013 11:59:54
543 forum posts
3 photos

Geez, its amazing how quickly people become offended....

Here are some Toth stamps I've always enjoyed. toth1.jpg

I know that not everyone here likes trees, but I love this woodland scene. It always reminds me of my time in Bavaria.

toth2.jpg

I love this depiction of an Austrian Bergmaeher, after the Austrian artist Albin Egger-Lienz. They are among my favorite paintings in the Leopold museum.

toth3.jpg

St. Stephens in Vienna. I too was 'dragged' around places by my parents when I was a teen, but I have always been grateful to them for enabling me to see so much of European culture. That is the reason I stayed in Europe, after all.

Adrian27/11/2013 12:13:11
1821 forum posts
954 photos
4 articles

smiley

Well, I wasn't. Just some frivolous banter!

Love that St Stephan stamp! Had never seen it before. Stunning detail.

Wish I had had parents who dragged me around! Spent my childhood on Frisian lakes, which is not as much fun as it sounds, I can assure you! Have been playing catch up ever since, so I'm ashamed to say I've not seen any of Austria's baroque splendour yet...

crying

Julia Lee27/11/2013 13:21:01
2047 forum posts
1002 photos
230 articles

All in jest.

Yes, I too am grateful for that 'dragging', but that one particular episode does stick in my mind.

Michael Chambers27/11/2013 14:51:19
277 forum posts
255 photos

Some great stamps! I have all of Toth's Austrian stamps and will put up some of my favourites.

As far as I am aware he didn't do much philatelic work outside Austria. I think he did a Royal Weddding stamp for Liechtenstein in 1967 but I'm not aware of much else. Does anyone know of any other work outside Austria?

It's worth mentioning his long-time collaborator, the designer Adalbert Pilch. Together, they formed possibly the greatest designer/engraver team of them all.The following information from the web gives a brief account of Pilch's life and achievements:

Adalbert Pilch (16 February 1917 in Vienna, Austria – 10 December 2004 in Tulln) was an Austrian painter and graphic artist.

The works of Adalbert Pilch include paintings, drawings and illustrations. He became well known for designing postage stamps. In 1937, after graduating from school, Pilch took up studies at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna in the master class of Wilhelm Dachauer, with whom he was close friends until his death. From 1940 to 1945 he was enlisted and was at first deployed to Russia. Later he was sent to Lapland, Italy, Greece, and Yugoslavia as a painter for the German war museums. He married in 1942.

In 1945, after the end of the Second World War, Pilch started illustrating newspapers and was consulted for collaboration on textbooks and murals. He created more than 4,000 illustrations for children's and young adult's books and textbooks. Secondary, he worked on the appraisal of old farmhouses, hammer mills, mills, and saw mills by order of the Federal Museum of Lower Austria. He portrayed former and acting Federal Presidents of Austria, as well as Presidents of the National Council, Traffic Ministers, and Director Generals of the postal service. He devised 200 drawings for theWar Museum at Vienna.

From 1950 on he was a member of the Vienna Künstlerhaus. In 1953 he received public attention due to a special exhibition of approximately 50 of his works, while in 1956 he got the first order for designing Austrian stamps.

His "Hunting Series" (1959), the Europe Stamp (1960), the series "Olympia 1963" and "UPU 1964", as well as the commemorative stamp "Die Kunst der Donauschule" (The Art of the Danube School; 1965) got international acknowledgment. During his life, Pilch designed 318 stamps for the Austrian post, 30 for the Principality of Liechtenstein and one stamp for Israel. The stamp he created in 1965, "Die Kunst der Donauschule", was elected the "most beautiful stamp of the world".

In 1968 Pilch moved to Mauerbach near Vienna. In 1970 he was promoted to Professor. He displayed his opus at several exhibitions until 2000. Pilch spent his last year of life in the nursing homeTheresiaheim in Tulln.

Alex27/11/2013 16:40:07
543 forum posts
3 photos

Michael, I look forwards to seeing your stamps.

I am not obsessed by engravers as you guys, but Toth stands out for me. There is something nostalgic about his images, also they're of an high artistic standard. I studied art history for part of my university degree, so I am drawn to his work, somehow, more than the other 'greats', such as Slania, who I can't stand, to be honest.

tothaustria652younghikershostel-5-20-60sg615-apilch.jpg

I love this idealized image of youth as it echoes my own youthful ideals.

toth5.jpg

Even better than the original. That hunted look only a hungry, poor peasant girl can have.

As an engraver, Toth harks back to a pan German - Austrian Romanticism, combined with modern Realism thrown in.

Edited By Alex on 27/11/2013 16:41:35

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Stamp Magazine? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find Stamp Magazine!

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Philately? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Guernsey post November
Universal Philatelic Auctions
Nordfrim April
SANDAFAYRE
varisell stamps
Michael G Read
Purves Philatelics
Glasgow Stamp Shop
Tony Lester
British Stamp Market Values & British Coins Market Values

Subscription Offers